PDA

View Full Version : Bed Edging

STIHL GUY
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
i have been asked to edge some beds for a costomer. i do not currently own a bed edger. what would be the best way to go about getting this done without buying a bed edger??

yardatwork
03-17-2009, 09:34 PM
I used to do all of my edging with a good ol shovel! You could always buy a stick edger. I just bought a Tanaka stick edger on Ebay for $260.00 and it has a 2-year commercial warranty.

ALC-GregH
03-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Just rent one. Line up a bunch in one day and knock them out. :) Most of my customers already have beds so my FrankenEcho redefiner will make cake work of them. :D

STIHL GUY
03-17-2009, 09:37 PM
well all the mulch appointments are spread out so it looks like i will be doing it with a shovel for now. thanks for the quick responces and ill post some pictures when its all done

SNAPPER MAN
03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Don't use a shovel. Go to homedepot or Lowes and get one of the half moon hand bed edgers. That is what we use and they work great.

GracesLandscaping
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Don't use a shovel. Go to homedepot or Lowes and get one of the half moon hand bed edgers. That is what we use and they work great.

what are ya talking about? do u know a real name or possibly even a link with a pic? id like to see what your talking about!

Jersey Shore Landscaping
03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
use a shovel have tryed bed edger after bed edger back to the tanaka edger and follow behine with shovel

ALC-GregH
03-17-2009, 10:05 PM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07183471000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Outdoor+Tools+%26+Supplies&sName=Hand+Gardening+Tools

DLAWNS
03-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Look up the trenchblade. I didn't notice a stick edger in your signature, but if you get an edger, you can get trenchblades for them. They're cheap and they work great!

afg
03-17-2009, 11:40 PM
loop handle, all metal, orange spades from AM Leonard

White Gardens
03-18-2009, 12:02 AM
I like using my yard boss tiller head on my string trimmer. I think it works great. 100 bucks on e-bay, it is versatile and can be used for other things.

I've got pics of the results in my Spring Cleanup thread.

integrityman
03-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Rent one. String trimmer attachments are ok for redefining but IMO dont do so good in making a new, fresh, crisp edge. Shovels are ok but nothng beats the bed edger. Id offer to sub the job for you if I lived closer! Bed edger all the way!!!!

Jersey Shore Landscaping
03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
intergrityman what kind of bed edger do you have iv used the little wonder and blue bird

addictedtolandscaping
03-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Go with the Brown Bewd Edger. It will create, redefine and trench with different blades. Well worth the investment, and truly an awesome edge when all done. You do have to clean out the debris as it will pile it in a pretty little row, but with the end result, you really can;t go wrong.

CCC52
03-22-2009, 03:20 AM
loop handle, all metal, orange spades from AM Leonard

Can't go wrong there, quality tool built for a lifetime or two of use! I've got enough spades for 4 or 5 guys to be edging with but when I saw those beauties at the nursery it was love at first site! I snatched a 15" unit that was 'gently used' for $20 under retail. Beyond edging, it's a great start to shrub and small tree removal. If I had a kid I'd etch his or her name on mine, it will surely outlast me...

As for the edging job, if you prefer to rent that's cool. I'm not terribly impressed with bed edgers. I see the need and I think they're great for huge commercial properties...Edging isn't easy, try it with a standard round point shovel and you'll be going in circles (literally). But for what it's worth, if you do choose the spade route you'll have an "exact approximation" of what kind of time to charge for future power tool use. Now I've seen how volitile this board can be and all I'm offering in the way of advice is my personal experience that dates back more than 20 years in the field. If my story was nothing but success I'd have no interest in this board. You posed a question that's near and dear to my still being in this business.

Edging. It makes or breaks the project. Just about any monkey can sling mulch but that defining edge is key. I sell myself as a gardner, mowing just comes with the territory (not to mention being my 'bread and butter' money). I can honestly say I've sold more good jobs from my edging than anything else. Nevermind the perfectly trimmed shrubs, fresh annuals, and mulch it's always the edging that gets a "Wow!". My clients friends see my work and we're right back to that precious word of mouth advertising that simply can't be beat for stable year-in/year-out income. I've done my 50 and 60 hour mowing weeks, wouldn't do it again to be a millionaire. I oversold myself to near suicide, the financial gratification...uh...what's that? Of course this was prior to the ever-popular ZTR that could have bought me a few days off every week. Still doing the WB thing at 1 1/2 days and if I can sell 3 days I'll do it to buy the ZTR outright.

Anyway, on to the edging. I've always called them edging spades but border spade may be more appropriate. $15-20 if you don't already have one, local Lowe's has a nice looking 98% steel unit with plastic D-handle for around $25 IIRC. Great for brand new edges, not so great for touch-ups or as Echo now calls it "redefining". If you've got an existing edge to work with the half-moon unit might or might not work so well. I tried 'em thinking I'd found a great tool but I've yet to find one that isn't cheap stamped steel and they break easily. (Just my experience, the straight broom handle doesn't work for me either, you need to be able to turn the turf/mulch/soil so a shorter D-handled tool is preferable). Back to the Paleolithic, there's a handy, dandy tool known as a sod lifter. I was taught how to edge beds with them back in the 80's. Not for the faint of heart but a perfect edge re-defining tool. With practice it's as easy, if not easier, than any machine. They're pricey but you're paying for quality forged steel. The working 'bit' is quite similar to the half-moon edgers but the tool offers strength and versatility. Takes some practice and experience but something to consider. You want to create a small accent bed with one tool, perfect, it'll cut the edge and lift the sod. If you try this route the Union model is better suited to a taller user than the Ames model. Great thing about the sod lifter is your clients/neighbors will all want one thinking it's a 'wonder tool', they won't find one at Lowes or Home Depot (and if they do, it will fail their feeble attempts at use).

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2587/edging101.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=edging101.jpg)

Great edges keep accounts and sell work (in my experience). The full service accounts I have get 'tuned-up' by trimmer every few cuts, as do my maintenance only accounts when I swing by for periodic weeding/spraying. It's that little something extra that lets them know I care and keeps them happy.

Best of luck with the job, I'm sure you'll do just fine however you go about it.:walking:

Trenchblade
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
i have been asked to edge some beds for a costomer. i do not currently own a bed edger. what would be the best way to go about getting this done without buying a bed edger??

check out the trenchblade.

addictedtolandscaping
03-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Rental; is a great option. One that I should have looked at so very long ago, it gives you the ability to evaluate the equipment without buying it and gets you the machine to do the job. Much easier to recover the cost,.

Bass1
03-23-2009, 10:34 PM
I use a trenchblade with my edger, at different angles.

integrityman
03-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Brown. With 8 hp honda. Sweet piece of equipment, does a NICE job....

Brett's Cutting Edge
03-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Just rent one and work the rental fee into the job. It wont take you more than 30 min at tops to do a house with one compared to hours by shovel and if you are paying a worker they will even out in the end. Except with the bed edge you will be done in fractions of time.

CCC52
03-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Just rent one and work the rental fee into the job. It wont take you more than 30 min at tops to do a house with one compared to hours by shovel and if you are paying a worker they will even out in the end. Except with the bed edge you will be done in fractions of time.

How do you bid this? By the half-hour rental?

Very curious, I could very fu** a few for a premium.

Explain please.

CCC52
03-26-2009, 04:21 AM
Do Not Sell what you can't do.

Brett's Cutting Edge
03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I sell per foot of edging. Depending on the job it can range from .75-1.50 per Ft. Some beds require redefing, or there is new construction. Obviously redefing costs less. It all depends on how much $$ you want to make off the job. But remeber these prices reflect me already owning the equipment. Many of the jobs that I do are well over 200+ feet of edging. It is a very profitable service to offer to customers. Also call your local company out that marks the ground for wires so you do not it anything while dragging it around.

Crash
03-26-2009, 03:33 PM
use a shovel have tryed bed edger after bed edger back to the tanaka edger and follow behine with shovel

Really? We have a "Bed Edger" edger and it works great. We've got a few different bits for it, wether you're doing brick or black diamond or a dirt edge. It works great.

integrityman
03-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Jersey Shore-
If you rent one, experiment around with it on your own property.....
Also, If I am doing a straight line, I will physically paint the ground first then run the edger along the line.
Also, I like to get the utilities to mark their lines before I trench. This has been a wise move in dozens of jobs. Cable & phone lines I have found consistently buried within 2-3 inches under the thatch layer. I use the same principle in getting the homeowner to mark "invisible pet fencing" and irrigation systems.

ooo
03-27-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07183631000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Outdoor+Tools+%26+Supplies&sName=Hand+Gardening+Tools

Thats the shovel to edge beds with. If I dont use a bed shaper, I use a walk behind edger to cut my line and then shovel out the sod. Sometimes a trimmer works just for making your line.

LB1234
03-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Broke out our brand new EZ Trench bedscaper today. 400 lineal feet in under 20 minutes, 200 bucks generated.

My advice is go with the rental yard and as other have said line up a bunch to do in a day. Charge everyone for the rental fee and just rent once. You can basically edge as fast as you can walk with our EZ trench bedscaper. We did this for a number of years. Until last year I noticed we spent over 1k in rental costs. So after I factor in the travel time and wear/tear on the vehicle I figure it will take me a little less than two years to break even on the demo unit I bought for ~$2.4k.