PDA

View Full Version : Building a Retaining Wall

Bleed Green
03-18-2009, 12:12 AM
How tough is it to build a retaining wall? In my backyard there is a spot that we are thinking about building one. Is it something that I could do, or would I be better off getting a bigger landscape company? I guess I am wondering how tough of a task it would be. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

NewHorizon's Land
03-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Depending on the height of the wall needed, you could be biting off too much. True retaining walls have engineering that must be done and lots of work below the surface and behind the wall to be done as well. Search some of the other threads to find out more about retaining walls.

Bru75
03-18-2009, 01:06 AM
If it's not a large or complicated wall and it's in your own yard, I say go for it. Just learn as much as you can about the right way first.
If you are in doubt, hire somebody experienced, and learn from them.

Bleed Green
03-18-2009, 01:07 AM
It is going to be about 5 courses high and around 10-15 foot long.

Bru75
03-18-2009, 01:17 AM
It is going to be about 5 courses high and around 10-15 foot long.
By "courses" do you mean 6" block? That would make your wall 2 1/2 feet tall, I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try. Especially since you are your own customer.
Just be sure to excavate deep enough for your area, and compact the base really well.

AllHardscaping
03-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Give it a shot. Just read up on base prep adn what goes behind the wall. A lot of my neighbors did their own 2 years ago and now they are leaning and look like crap. It is defintly doable with the proper research though. Good luck

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Rent a plate compactor for your base and leave the hand tamper out of the project. Don't skimp on your drainage rock for backfill and compact your backfill as well. Also use a good 2ft and 4ft level and leave the little torpedo level in the shed. If your wall is straight get a stringline to keep straight.

NewHorizon's Land
03-19-2009, 07:24 PM
As far as string lines go we use them on the back side of the block. The front is normally rockfaced and the back is smooth. It will be easier for you to judge if its straight

Hardscaping
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
If you go to a local block supplier they will help you with how to do this wall. just make sure to follow what they say to a T because as it stands you don't know the ways of doing it yet.

wurkn with amish
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
#9 Today, 06:38 PM
Hardscaping
LawnSite Senior Member Join Date: Aug 2008

If you go to a local block supplier they will help you with how to do this wall. just make sure to follow what they say to a T because as it stands you don't know the ways of doing it yet.

:) :) :0 thats funny coming from you!

Hardscaping
03-19-2009, 11:25 PM
yeah well, what can ya do. sometimes i don't feel like voicing anything Now help the guy or stop posting on his thread. lol

Hard Rock Kid
03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Versa-Lok's website has online installation instructions that are pretty straight-forward. They also have a really good installation DVD available.

http://www.versa-lok.com/versatech/

If you're near one of their installation seminars, those are the best way to learn how to install SRWs.

Bleed Green
03-24-2009, 11:26 PM
thanks for the help, Ill have to see when I can get to this project may not be until the summer. Seems like everytime the ground starts to dry, it rains and then I have to wait again, also I have other things I am trying to do so Ill let you know what happens when I get around to this. Thanks for the help though in the meantime.