PDA

View Full Version : Yard signs left near public roadways. Professional or not?

Exact Rototilling
03-18-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm really struggling on this issue. I put out around 15 of these signs for snow removal and I gained 3 contract snow clients but I really wonder if they end up reflecting negatively on ones business. My signs are much nicer than the typical signs.

"How to Make CEO income from Home"
"Finally Affordable Health Insurance"
"Sprinkler blow outs $35"

Sorry they just seem to be roadside spam to me I sorta cringe each time I see these signs. Mine are much nicer and easier on the eyes and actually legible - but still. Maybe they thought I was too expensive? Maybe the cheap signs get more calls?

So what I was thinking is putting up an alternative sign that is simpler Just the service listed [not mowing] and a phone number? I also have an alternative business number than just happens to end in "LAWN". No official Logo or regular number just the service and the number.

I just have such mixed feeling about these signs....?

Any input?

dewos
03-18-2009, 11:42 PM
I have signs up and they are not the nicest ones I have ever seen or I have ever had but what I found is it doesn't really matter the people that are going to look at them are going to look at all of them and you mostly get women or old men that are retired. The return rate on them is not as good as what I thought they would be but still worth it. I receive around 4 jobs per year from the signs.

I put the signs where ever they allow me to put them. If people don't like the signs I figure they are not going to be looking at them anyone to get a neg. opinion on my business.

I say put them up and good luck.

Elite Outdoor
03-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Pretty much what dewos said. Although I have had better luck with mine. I have noticed that simplicity sales. The most basic signs are the ones that I have had the best luck with. Also, I use a white sign with dark colored writing, like black or forest green. I think that people only have a few seconds to read the sign, and you need to get you point across quickly. A sign that is complicated, has small writing, or is overly detailed takes to long to process the info.

Exact Rototilling
03-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the input.

I agree on the simplicity issue. I think to avoid any negative "road side spam" reflections on my official company I will use my alternate biz number which ends in LAWN and is easy to remember and no Logo or main biz number or even the Co. name

I'm thinking of using the Vista Print lawn sign in 18" x 27" the one that shows a Quick BOP mower.

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/easypath/studio.aspx?pf_id=042&combo=30117.87.26.92357%7c92357%7c137%7c0&uei=101949&icparts=yes&ag=true&combo_id=81208&ssc=1&filter=9%3a10013%7c%7c1%2c3%3a10046%7c%7c1&xnav=previews&xnid=button&rd=3&ref=1&referer=http%3a%2f%2fwww.vistaprint.com%2flawn-signs-large%2fgallery.aspx%3fpf_id%3d042%26pg%3d20%26rd%3d2%26keywords%3dlawn%26page%3d1%26pagesize%3d24%2 6sc%3d-1%26preid%3d3%26xnav%3dsearch

2 or 3 basic services listed then the phone number that ends in LAWN. :)

dewos
03-19-2009, 01:04 AM
I love Vista Print but be very careful with that sign it seems like the number is not going to be a dark color and may not be big enough.... maybe just try buying one to see. Although i like vista print it maybe better to find a company that deals with bulk ordering... I bought 200 and been using them for the past 2 years saved alot of money.

Exact Rototilling
03-19-2009, 01:55 AM
I love Vista Print but be very careful with that sign it seems like the number is not going to be a dark color and may not be big enough.... maybe just try buying one to see. Although i like vista print it maybe better to find a company that deals with bulk ordering... I bought 200 and been using them for the past 2 years saved alot of money.

Yes the pre set font colors are wrong - stock font is hard to read - I fixed all that. I'm only going to put them in very select areas so I only need 10 max :)

**2nd** thought

The quick mower takes up much space and makes the fonts smaller - it may not be worth going with this one. Does the quick mower really add enough to justify it. I belive I'm the only one in the area with one.

Exact Rototilling
03-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Here it is fire away :)

dewos
03-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Looks Good but i still feel like the size maybe an issue, and may be a little more info the someone could read going 25 down the road... But try it. good luck

What about LANDSCAPING AND LAWN CARE! covers all areas

Proc's Lawncare
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Never been a big fan of road side signage... Mainly because if you spend the money, people will steal your sign and put there crap on it! Seen and heard this happen plenty of times AND to me it just doesn't look nice....

Although, on the opposite side of the spectrum, there was a guy here locally that just made a sign with a website on it... something like www.gobig.com or something like that... never said what it was or anything and received a ton of hits for his site, we actually were curious and checked it out and it was for some herbalife health crap... BUT the moral of the story is less...attracted more.... So if your gonna do a sign, I would say less is better...Just my .02 hope it helps

Exact Rototilling
03-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm really not a landscaper per say and it becomes very unprofitable for me to get bogged down with other projects that I'm not really set up for. I learned last year I started loosing money hand over fist when I go outside my niche services.

Here are 3 different versions I have come up with.

I have also alternated the "power edging" with "power racking".

Even though the Quick mower looks nifty it does chew up space for bigger letters. I wish Vista Prints had a version of this with Just the Sky and grass as a background and I'd go with that.

Or the last option is just a white background with the biggest letters possible for the services and then a phone number.

This is the thing about all forms of advertising it's all a hit and miss gamble. No need for me to go to Vegas or buy lottery tickets - I just spend it on marketing. :rolleyes:

dewos
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM
LOOKS GOOD NUMBERS look good....

DUSTYCEDAR
03-19-2009, 04:06 PM
i like signs lots o signs

Exact Rototilling
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
latest one. :rolleyes:

nobagger
03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
I think if they are basic signs with a nice simple design they serve their purpose. We have a "Just Mowing" company around here and I see their signs here and there but I did remember it. So if I was a potential customer I would remember it too. As far as being professional, I think if they are made by a professional they look ok vs. the computer generated crap I see hanging on telephone poles, those look desperate IMO.

nnj18
03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
heres what i bought from fall, I think I got like 20+ calls from them and signed like 3 maintenance accounts + got a bunch of 1 time cleanups...simple and to the point. Every lawn I serviced got one, whether a full maintenance customer or the one-timer.

Not many guys here have them and people would tell me how they saw my signs all over and that I must do good work with so many out.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/JJLMC/advertising/JJ5.jpg

nnj18
03-19-2009, 07:39 PM
New ones this year the # will be (973) 627-LAND......I'm also getting some that say, "Got Grass?"

dewos
03-19-2009, 10:13 PM
heres what i bought from fall, I think I got like 20+ calls from them and signed like 3 maintenance accounts + got a bunch of 1 time cleanups...simple and to the point. Every lawn I serviced got one, whether a full maintenance customer or the one-timer.

Not many guys here have them and people would tell me how they saw my signs all over and that I must do good work with so many out.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/JJLMC/advertising/JJ5.jpg

HAHA where did you get yours done, mine looks just like it with out the leaves.

nnj18
03-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I bought them off ebay, I gave them the basic layout and that's what they sent me.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-20-2009, 02:07 AM
Definetely NOT professional to put signs for PRIVATE gain on a piece of land the PUBLIC paid for. Also ILLEGAL in lots of places.

Its totally professional though, to put yard signs in the PRIVATE properties you cut for.

Do it the right way. Putting them next to roads, makes you look desperate and cheap.

Exact Rototilling
03-20-2009, 03:24 AM
Definetely NOT professional to put signs for PRIVATE gain on a piece of land the PUBLIC paid for. Also ILLEGAL in lots of places.

Its totally professional though, to put yard signs in the PRIVATE properties you cut for.

Do it the right way. Putting them next to roads, makes you look desperate and cheap.

I wish you had posted this earlier and saved me a few hours on this. :rolleyes:...........:hammerhead:...............:cry:

LouisianaLawnboy
03-20-2009, 10:08 AM
I wish you had posted this earlier and saved me a few hours on this. :rolleyes:...........:hammerhead:...............:cry:

NP just keeping it simple.:)

Exact Rototilling
03-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Funny an old friend of mine has a concrete business and is very well established in the local area. Late last summer he put up these signs all over. Really not exactly the kind of business one would think you'd get calls on -with this type of sign. I immediately thought times must be tough.

I also have mixed feeling about signs in happy customer front yards. Seems pushy somehow. Even the tiny ones the applicator Co.s leave behind. I was thinking of doing this for my aeration customers but using the tiny applicator type sign. My aerator kicks butt and leaves ton of plugs and I get a much percentage of the lawn done than other companies and I don't leave plugs all over walks & driveways.

Tommy Boy
03-21-2009, 09:43 AM
I think it's to much for a Bandit Sign, would look great on the side of a trailer but you need simple... plus the multi color sign is expensive. We use 2 signs, one color White with green ink 1. Got Weeds? then the Number 877-4GR8-LAWN WE MOW GRASS 877-4GR8-LAWN we get about 10 to 25 customers per year from the signs, but more we get our brand out.