PDA

View Full Version : What about a 32" Toro T-Bar

Turf Dawg
03-18-2009, 12:54 AM
What can some of you tell me about a 32" single bade Toro. I'm looking for a low cost used walk behind for a couple of slopes and back yards. I found one of these and really like the fact that I can change the height of cut without changing the frame position. The Toro T-Bars have always been some of my favorite walk behinds, but I have never tried a single blade type. I cut mostly bermuda but I do have a few st augustine that I will have to raise the deck for. Thank everyone for their replies.

jlawnman
03-18-2009, 01:04 AM
I had a 44 toro with a tbar system a couple of years ago. I got it kinda cheap ($500 bucks) from a competitor going out of the business. I couldn't resell it quick enough. I like being able to push down on the handles and lift the deck off the ground. It's especially handy when you're mowing around ditches and uneven areas. But to each their own.

Turf Dawg
03-18-2009, 09:51 AM
bump for cut quality

Rebel
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Not worth it! Stay away, the machine does not have the power and the belts wear quickly. If you are going to spend money, spend it once and get a quailty machine. Try the standers, they are reasonable, you can get a 32" deck, cut a lot better. Hope this helps!

Wes

Valk
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
There are a lot of opinions here re: this Toro 'Classic' 32.
One 32" blade just doesn't seem to me to be as effective as two 16" blades. Even if the FPM (feet per minute) is the same the (2) 16"er's will be rotating quite a bit faster making for a more effective cut, especially at higher speeds and cutting/mulching thicker/taller grass, imho.

lawnpro724
03-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Don't know about the 32" but the 36"-48" cut great. The only problem I see with them is their price has gone through the roof.

huskres
03-18-2009, 03:48 PM
if your looking for a good cut 32" for hills i would suggest it. That single blade one scalps quite easy too.

ed2hess
03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Local dealer told me they jsut had too many problems with bent blades and spindles tore up. Now we have a lot of rock in our area but makes sense that a big long lblade could be trouble.

huskres
03-18-2009, 10:41 PM
if your looking for a good cut 32" for hills i would suggest it. That single blade one scalps quite easy too.

Woops meant not suggest it.

lifetree
03-18-2009, 10:52 PM
... The only problem I see with them is their price has gone through the roof.

Details, details ... lmao !!

Mowingman
03-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I have a friend who used to be a Toro dealer. I wanted a 32" Toro, and he told me to stay away from the 32" single blade model. He said the cut was bad, as the blade was so long it had a lot of flex. Hit any bump or rough spot, and the blade would flex, causing a wavy, uneven cut.
So, I bought a 32" with two blades. It cut really nice. I never did like the "T" bar though. My crews didn't either. They liked the good old pistol grip machines better than the "T" bar. They would not put the "T" bar machine on their trailer unless I forced them to. They would rather cut a gated back yard with a couple of 21" mowers, than use the Toro 32".

STIHL GUY
03-19-2009, 08:19 PM
it seems like the blade tip would be slower with only one blade

lawnpro724
03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a friend who used to be a Toro dealer. I wanted a 32" Toro, and he told me to stay away from the 32" single blade model. He said the cut was bad, as the blade was so long it had a lot of flex. Hit any bump or rough spot, and the blade would flex, causing a wavy, uneven cut.
So, I bought a 32" with two blades. It cut really nice. I never did like the "T" bar though. My crews didn't either. They liked the good old pistol grip machines better than the "T" bar. They would not put the "T" bar machine on their trailer unless I forced them to. They would rather cut a gated back yard with a couple of 21" mowers, than use the Toro 32".

Really, my guys wouldn't touch a belt drive mower w/pistol grip. T-bar is easier on the hands and wrists and is a lot easier to control once you get used to it than a pistol grip machine.

freddyc
03-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I have a 36 tbar belt drive.

Love the machine in every way. I dont know about the single blade though.

Given the chance I'd buy a tbar everytime. I would keep my eyes open for a 36" machine if you can get it thru your gates. The 2 blades would just have to be better.

sweetz
03-19-2009, 10:39 PM
I own a 32" toro t-bar. For what I use it for, I love it. I use it for small gated back yards where you would normally use a 21". Just keep the blade sharp.

South Florida Lawns
03-20-2009, 01:59 AM
I have used the 32 Toro T bar and I was so surprised with the cut quality and ease of use. I think Toro is on the pricy side tho, I was quoted $2700 for the eXmark metro and $3100 for the Toro T-bar classic.

GPDesign1
03-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Dawg: You might wanna consider our Q-32 Dually. Brand spankin new 15HP Kawasaki KAI Dual-Drive for $3095. You won't beat the quality of cut.

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=15KM-32DD-08

Happy Spring Lawnsite! :drinkup: