PDA

View Full Version : 521s-Tempo/Greenlee/Proggressive

Armadillolawncare
03-18-2009, 12:59 AM
I just bought a 521 by Greenlee. Can anybody tell me the differences between the Greenlees and Tempos and Progressives? They all appear to have the same features.

TRILAWNCARE
03-18-2009, 01:07 AM
I just bought a 521 by Greenlee. Can anybody tell me the differences between the Greenlees and Tempos and Progressives? They all appear to have the same features.

Did you get a 521 or a 521A (http://www.valuetesters.com/Greenlee-521A-Wire-and-Valve-Locator.php)? The "A" model is the new and improved version.

Armadillolawncare
03-18-2009, 01:17 AM
I got a 521A by Greenlee. It cost me $340.00 on ebay. The description given says it looks new and never used. The pictures also appear that way.

TRILAWNCARE
03-18-2009, 01:29 AM

I think one company bought the other company's rights to the patent, and so on. They are the same instrument, just with a different manufacturers. Sounds like you got a good deal.

When you get it, you should go practice tracing wires on a working system, so you can explain to ML how to do it. :laugh::laugh:

AI Inc
03-18-2009, 07:15 AM
I dont think they make a 521 anymore. It has been replaced with the 521A. That was a good price.I almopst bought 1 from a supplier last yr and I think it was $700.00 . I opened it, used it once and brought it back. Was a little too fragile looking for me, but it did zero right in on the wire.

MEXANDME
03-18-2009, 07:35 AM
I am still looking at buying a locater. If the 521A and the PRO-700 are basically the same unit, why is the PRO-700 so much cheaper? I am close to buying the PRO-700 but do not want to buy it and wish later that I had bought the 521A?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ros

Waterit
03-18-2009, 08:27 AM
I am still looking at buying a locater. If the 521A and the PRO-700 are basically the same unit, why is the PRO-700 so much cheaper? I am close to buying the PRO-700 but do not want to buy it and wish later that I had bought the 521A?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ros

Don't know anything about the PRO-700, but a 521 is pretty much bullet-proof long as you don't yank the headphone jack and keep fresh batteries in it.

the_typist
03-18-2009, 05:34 PM
I have used both the 521 and Pro600. The 600 has been updated to the 700.

They both work fine. The Pro series was developed to add some features the company making the 521 wasn't interested in adding.

For the price you can't go wrong with the Pro 700.

TRILAWNCARE
03-18-2009, 05:53 PM
I have used both the 521 and Pro600. The 600 has been updated to the 700.

They both work fine. The Pro series was developed to add some features the company making the 521 wasn't interested in adding.

For the price you can't go wrong with the Pro 700.

No spelling errors, good grammar, no sig, first post. Is the world coming to a end?????

Welcome aboard...... The Typist

DanaMac
03-18-2009, 06:10 PM
No spelling errors, good grammar, no sig, first post. Is the world coming to a end?????

Welcome aboard...... The Typist

And he's been a member for almost 3 years before his first post. Means he's done his homework.

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Bet he is good at selling, he does more listening then talking.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-19-2009, 07:52 AM
I got a 521A by Greenlee. It cost me $340.00 on ebay. The description given says it looks new and never used. The pictures also appear that way.

Great BUY! You are getting serious about this stuff. I like that. Our industry especially here in TX needs more people entering the trade like you ARMY. If I ever cut through your way I'll give you what I've learned about tracking with a locator.

A few rules:
Stay low
Go slow
flag as you go
don't dig too soon
trust the machine

Sprinkus
03-19-2009, 08:22 AM
And hope that some idiot doesn't cut off the wire at the solenoid to keep the valve from coming on and some contractor doesn't allow said valve to become buried.
Luckily it rained enough out here in Eagle Pass for me to use the ground fault detector, 2003 Pulser, to find that darn valve!

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Are they good in the rain? I know 521,s are that fond of rain.

Armadillolawncare
03-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Fimco I appreciate the offer to give me a bit of guidance if you pass thru my neck of the woods. I have my first small job (adding a zone to an existing system) that I need to use the 521 to locate the hidden valves. Hopefully I can figure it out to locate the valves I need. If not I guess I'll just have to dig up a head and then follow the pipe back to the valve.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks Fimco I appreciate the offer to give me a bit of guidance if you pass thru my neck of the woods. I have my first small job (adding a zone to an existing system) that I need to use the 521 to locate the hidden valves. Hopefully I can figure it out to locate the valves I need. If not I guess I'll just have to dig up a head and then follow the pipe back to the valve.

STICK WITH IT! Don't even think about digging up a head. If done right those valves will scream their location. DO NOT USE THE CURRENT LAZY METHOD THAT IS BEING TAUGHT.
I run a wire from my zone wire to the yard.
Ground with the probe or screwdriver DO NOT USE THE COMMON AS A GROUND
Start slow at the controller wires and it will give a very good signal.
Put in fresh batteries before you start.

Kiril
03-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Hey Pete, did you see the new greenlee in the Forestry Suppliers catalog?

Don't know if it is a new model, or just new to them?

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=8699

irritation
03-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Don't know if it is a new model, or just new to them?

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=8699

That's the 521A.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah I believe that is the 521a as irri says. My understanding is that it is no better than the older model just a longer wand and different batteries.

Also TEMPO has a teaching DVD and if you contact your local REP it is well worth picking up.

cheese189
03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I work for Armada, my first post. I intend to add positive info to discussions about test equipment, locating, etc after 19 years in the business. Yes, I am biased, surprise? Anyway, DVDs were mentioned in the last post. Armada offers free DVDs on using locators. One comes with every Pro700 and is viewable on our website under training.

http://www.armadatech.com/temp_gen.php?pageid=train&PHPSESSID=88ae56f37d134877ae7e18516b079c98

Mike Leary
03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
I work for Armada, my first post. Yes, I am biased, surprise?

Easy does it in this barnyard, pal, we don't cotton to reps that much.

Wet_Boots
03-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I work for Armada, my first post.........Rep :hammerhead:

cheese189
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Understood and thanks, I need direction as a newbie. The topics interest me and I want to help. I don't want to muck it up with commercials. That's what is ruining Google. What is the best way then to post helpful info and not offend those present?

Wet_Boots
03-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Sponsors are always welcome, but they're paying for the status, and ability to link their business in their posts. Short of that, it's all low key, no-ads, no-link-to-company-website posting. (which is welcome, by the way - more information is always useful)

Mike Leary
03-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Information (if asked for) is always helpfull; we need no horn tooting, that gets one into trouble. Your company is known on this forum and seems to have a pretty good reputation from one of the members that we respect. That gets your foot in the door, but easy does it.

1idejim
03-17-2010, 08:25 PM

Thanks for any feedback!

Ros

don't ride the fence, buy it

1idejim
03-17-2010, 08:30 PM
And hope that some idiot doesn't cut off the wire at the solenoid to keep the valve from coming on and some contractor doesn't allow said valve to become buried.
Luckily it rained enough out here in Eagle Pass for me to use the ground fault detector, 2003 Pulser, to find that darn valve!

why did you need it to rain?

never had a failure with my 573DL do to ground moisture, wet the earth ground if you have to.

1idejim
03-17-2010, 08:35 PM
STICK WITH IT! Don't even think about digging up a head. If done right those valves will scream their location. DO NOT USE THE CURRENT LAZY METHOD THAT IS BEING TAUGHT.
I run a wire from my zone wire to the yard.
Ground with the probe or screwdriver DO NOT USE THE COMMON AS A GROUND
Start slow at the controller wires and it will give a very good signal.
Put in fresh batteries before you start.

what lazy method are you talking about peter?

where does the common wire become an earth ground?

please explain, thanks

Mike Leary
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM

please explain, thanks

I'd like to hear that explanation, too; did not work worth a damn when he suggested it to me years ago with our 521. :dizzy:

S.O.Contracting
03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
It doesn't work as a ground. It causes the tone to die out after you've passed the valve your trying to locate. The manual I believe actually covers it but i may be wrong.

Mike Leary
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
It doesn't work as a ground. It causes the tone to die out after you've passed the valve your trying to locate. The manual I believe actually covers it but i may be wrong.

Welcome to the forum, locating is one of the hardest things we deal with.

1idejim
03-17-2010, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=cheese189;3472510]I work for Armada, my first post. I intend to add positive info to discussions about test equipment, locating, etc after 19 years in the business. Yes, I am biased, surprise? Anyway, DVDs were mentioned in the last post. Armada offers free DVDs on using locators. One comes with every Pro700 and is viewable on our website under training.

i talked to bruce for the better part of an hour this morning. he's a good guy, but so is dave lopez.

i own both the 521 and the pro 600, i happen to like them both.

i used my station master today, and M L's main man russ has been using the pro 48.

russ has also been using the pro 600 some.

S.O.Contracting
03-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks. Longtime lurker. Decided to jump into the fray. Ya locating is an area where I don't think your ever perfect. Can always improve and learn.

1idejim
03-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks. Longtime lurker. Decided to jump into the fray. Ya locating is an area where I don't think your ever perfect. Can always improve and learn.

welcome

you're right, i also belong to locators and leak detection forums, you can never learn enough.....and you're going to see irrigation locating and troubleshooting change in the next few years.

Sprinkus
03-17-2010, 09:34 PM
why did you need it to rain?

never had a failure with my 573DL do to ground moisture, wet the earth ground if you have to.

Wetting the earth around the ground stake didn't cut it in this particular instance.

1idejim
03-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Wetting the earth around the ground stake didn't cut it in this particular instance.

are you in sand or adobe?

1idejim
03-17-2010, 11:36 PM

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/tempo/manuals/trblsht.pdf

armada has been posted here already

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-18-2010, 07:38 AM

please explain, thanks

That is where they take the 521 go to the controller......set it on the person's car......put the red lead on the zone wire in question and the black lead on the common. That is the second or third step in tracking a difficult valve or wire issue. The first step should be to run the zone wire outside with some extra wire and hook up to the 521 red there and ground the black lead with a good probe into the soil.

Also Jim you might want to pm me if you post in an old thread. I figure after the second page it's just small talk.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-18-2010, 07:46 AM
I'd like to hear that explanation, too; did not work worth a damn when he suggested it to me years ago with our 521. :dizzy:

521 is still just a tool that depends on the amazing brain of homo sapiens to interpret its clues.