PDA

View Full Version : Over 3 times more people advertising from last

WHIPPLE5.7
03-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Considering Friday is going to be our first warm day of the month I can't believe how guys are advertising for lawn work in my area:dizzy: Almost all of them are new but what I really don't understand is that they are advertising for power raking and core aeration:confused: Myself and a select few others had a niche on that market because you would have to go as far as Spokane, Wa to get power rakes and aerators because we don't have any dealers who will deal with that kind of stuff. Maybe they ordered used stuff off Ebay and payed frieght. Its looking awfully scary when its too cold to start working yet and there an entire page of lawn guys advertising. Since when did this line of work become so desirable?

ALC-GregH
03-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm not going to worry myself to death. I already have all my customers from last year and few new ones already. I'm still 3 weeks out before I'll be starting. I think I can reach my goal for this year but it might not happen until after the season starts. I got by this past winter (squeaking) but I got through it and at the same time managed to pay off the 10K loan for my equipment. Hopefully this year will be that much better.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm not going to worry myself to death. I already have all my customers from last year and few new ones already. I'm still 3 weeks out before I'll be starting. I think I can reach my goal for this year but it might not happen until after the season starts. I got by this past winter (squeaking) but I got through it and at the same time managed to pay off the 10K loan for my equipment. Hopefully this year will be that much better.

3 weeks out? I thaught your area would be hopping with cleanups and stuff by now.

dewos
03-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Everyone that lost there job is looking to make a few quick bucks... or so they think. So what they throw a few bucks into the local paper and hope for results. I have the same thing going on around my area. Sad thing is they are alot cheaper then what I normally charge. So they are getting most of the business with the economy now. I had one lady tell me she was estimated 15 dollars by another landscaping company.

Carolina Cuts
03-18-2009, 06:06 PM
ALL the fly-by-nights are out this season..... I work in one particular community, high end homes.... goin' rate$30-$40 depending...

average advertised rate last year??? $35-

this year, my buddy who lives there has already pulled 3 flyers from his mailbox.... $25- any lawn/any size. It's gonna get ugly.....

jsw2008
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I've noticed the same thing around here and most of them have "lowest price guaranteed" or something to that effect. Thank goodness I have a good base of returning customers and picked up a few new ones this winter.

mattfromNY
03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I live in a very small town, and we've had literally one new ad per day for 'XXX lawn and landscaping' So far I've only seen one that has been around, all the rest are new.

Carolina Cuts
03-18-2009, 06:34 PM
one positive note I have.....

I got a call from a new customer last night.... his first question to me....
"Are you or are you NOT gonna be a fly-by-night? Cause last year I hired a couple guys, they cut twice, I paid em'... and they never came back. I hired another service, they cut 4 times, got paid and never came back...."

Property is relatively simple.... we agreed on services, and he's getting me two others on his street and a lead in a high-end community next to his....

the fly-by-nights apparently make it hard for us AND the customer....

jsw2008
03-18-2009, 06:43 PM
All my new customers this year have told me they can't believe I showed up for the estimate on time. One lady went on for 5 minutes about how I was the only person to show up for an estimate. I hope for all our sake that lots of these new guys have no work ethic:sleeping:

topsites
03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
The worst of it is that they might set in the mind of a customer that stupid low price, then come end of May to June when it gets
HOT and they drop out like beaotch, guess who gets a phone call from someone expecting a whole lot for next to nothing...
Then again all of that isn't exactly the breaking news...

So the question remains...
Would that particular customer have even thought of hiring a yard service, had it not been for that low price?
Personally, and I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

So it's probably just more of the same old, same old.

Right behind you, thou I do got till November until mine's all paid for :p

MikeKle
03-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I remember when I was around 12-13 yrs. old I mowed a few neighbors yards, and my highest paying yard was $15. in 1987. If the lowballers keep doing business as usual,I will be back to getting $15. for a $45 yard! Something needs to be done about low ballers, like whenever one of us sees what is obviously a scrub/lowballer, report them for doing business without insurance or a business license?? They will run this industry into the ground until you need something more than a mower,trimmer and blower to call yourself a "lawn care business"!!!(like some sort of license that you must qualify for), but that is doubtful.

Pietro
03-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Leave em alone. They slit their own throats.

MOturkey
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
If it were I, and its not, because I'm still part-time and not doing any advertising other than the Yellow Pages. But if I was advertising, and had been in business many years, like a lot of you guys, I'd list that fact in my advertising. There are going to be some people who have been burned in the past, and "8 years in business", or whatever, and perhaps "references available" will carry some weight with those people.

Just a thought.

Grits
03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. Our season has begun here. At first, I was nervous because I have seen quite a few new guys. But right now, I am so covered up with work that I am thinking of hiring a guy or 2. I haven't checked my books yet, but this feels like my busiest March yet.....with no signs (so far) of slowing down.

EDIT: I just read the post above mine and realized.....I haven't advertised at all this year either. I thought about advertising, but I am kind of scared to right now. If I bring on an employee then I will probably advertise some.