PDA

View Full Version : Engaging Blades

All_Toro_4ME
03-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I saw this conversation on another lawncare/commercial mowing site and it generated quite a few responses. Figured I would bring it here for some thoughts.

This concerns weekly mowing, with a WB or Z on well maintained grass. Not overgrown.

A) When engaging blades to cut grass, lower the deck first to cutting height desired, then engage blades and start forward.

B) When engaging blades to cut grass, engage blades with the deck at highest setting, then lower and start forward.

Arguments on both sides for which method stresses and wears the belts quicker.

Which method do you try and why?

DT Lawn Care
03-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't mean to be a smartass, but you don't have much of a choice with a WB.

All_Toro_4ME
03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't mean to be a smartass, but you don't have much of a choice with a WB.

Well, it depends. Some models have a deck lowering system that mirrors Z's. One handle and a press button to lower the deck with.

But yea, I agree, not much choice considering the majority of them.

Richard Martin
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
It doesn't matter whether the deck is up or down on a well engineered mower. Whether the engine is screaming at full RPM or just idling makes a bigger difference.

IntegrityGuy
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
i would set the deck hight first and check it, then i would engage the blades.

If you engage the blades and then set deck heighth to short by accident then your screwed and have scalped the grass.

topsites
03-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Yes, I think it could be important to engage the blades, and if your lawn mower won't let you do that any
which way you please that you should take it back and have them give you one that's not defective.

mowerbrad
03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I really can't see the position of the deck playing a big factor in belt wear. The whole rpm issue would be a much bigger factor in belt wear, I would think.

CLARK LAWN
03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
does it really matter? people wonder about the hostility on here then you get questions like this

Grits
03-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Yes, I think it could be important to engage the blades, and if your lawn mower won't let you do that any
which way you please that you should take it back and have them give you one that's not defective.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Think Green
03-18-2009, 10:07 PM
On our Walker's it doesn't matter----------we don't have manual adjustment levers.
We preset the heights on the street or sidewalk. IF we don't know what to set the deck settings to on all our lawns, then we need to quit and go home. "Know your lawn!"
Exmarks, have the foot control lever and increment setting accessible from top.
We set the height first, lift the deck to full height, drive onto the grass, start the blades, and then lower them slowly. If you didn't get it right, then you haveneat crop circles in beautiful grass.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This thead will lead on to the other question of do you engage you blades with the factory recommended engine idle settings or do you engage at full throttle??????

This would play a huge role in belt, pulley, and spindle wear..............?