PDA

View Full Version : Echo & Shindaiwa Merge Operations

jtkplc
03-18-2009, 11:21 AM
https://www.lawnandlandscape.com/Echo_Shindaiwa_merge_operations.aspx

I got this from Lawn and Landscape.

Richard Martin
03-18-2009, 11:57 AM
It's going to take a little getting used to saying Yamabiko! Oh well.

jtkplc
03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
It's going to take a little getting used to saying Yamabiko! Oh well.

It will just broaden our horizons a little more!

tallimeca
03-20-2009, 01:00 AM
basically the long and the short of it is parents companies merged, echo shareholders are majority owners.

Shindaiwa will now be sporting about 8-12 rebranded echo models, that echo is no longer using.

Primarily had to do with the fact shindaiwa's engines were meeting emissions. They have been using echo chain saws for some time now.

driver5
03-20-2009, 01:05 AM
this is a direct quote from the article in the first post:

“Both ECHO and Shindaiwa are well respected premium brands in the outdoor power equipment industry. The merger of these operations will result in an efficient organization with lower costs, allowing both brands to be even more competitive in the North and South American markets,” said Yasushi Asamoto, chairman of Yamabiko.

what I read is that both companies will still sell the brand names. Just like Exmark is owned by Toro, but they keep their names so that still have a competitive market.

kaferhaus
03-20-2009, 09:46 AM
but they keep their names so that still have a competitive market.

You believe that? Echo just wanted some of Shin's technology (patents)
Shin is a minor player in the market compared to Stihl, Echo, Husq etc.

And they'll end up offering few products that directly compete with each other. They'll merge the distribution and central overhead aspects of the business and the products will end up being re-badged this or that with different cowlings, guards etc.

And with Echo's Home Depot marketing mentality, they'll likely try to push Shin off as the more "pro grade" models.

I have no problem with their marketing, that's their business. But the dealers have been none too happy about it. Especially with the liberal return policies of Home Depot.

I've a neighbor who needed to fell some trees..... has no use for a chain saw but every few years, didn't want to pay anyone to do it (trees weren't that tall 20ft or so) so he goes to HD, buys a chainsaw, cuts down his trees and promptly returns the saw for a refund.

Then tells me he did the same thing with a tow behind leaf vac he bought from Lowes... and a pressure washer from Sears.. all with a big you know what eating grin on his face.

This is a "nice" neighborhood, the guy makes over 200K a year.

I said "and you're telling me this why? I think it's disgusting"

huskres
03-20-2009, 09:55 AM
What your neighbor is doing sounds more like fraud. And you wonder why some companies are in trouble.

Please_Be_Green
03-20-2009, 09:57 AM

And they'll end up offering few products that directly compete with each other. They'll merge the distribution and central overhead aspects of the business and the products will end up being re-badged this or that with different cowlings, guards etc.

And with Echo's Home Depot marketing mentality, they'll likely try to push Shin off as the more "pro grade" models.

I have no problem with their marketing, that's their business. But the dealers have been none too happy about it. Especially with the liberal return policies of Home Depot.

I've a neighbor who needed to fell some trees..... has no use for a chain saw but every few years, didn't want to pay anyone to do it (trees weren't that tall 20ft or so) so he goes to HD, buys a chainsaw, cuts down his trees and promptly returns the saw for a refund.

Then tells me he did the same thing with a tow behind leaf vac he bought from Lowes... and a pressure washer from Sears.. all with a big you know what eating grin on his face.

Sounds like my Brother-in-law.... He'll bend over backwards to steal from anyone and in his eye's it's completely legal. His words... "Just using the system to my advantage." Needless to say, I don't get along with my Brother-in-law... he knows it and has stopped asking to borrow my equipment that I buy outright.

RonAyersMotorsports
03-20-2009, 09:58 AM

This is exactly why big market stores should not be allowed to sell power equipment "THEY" do not service themselves. I hear this all to often or have lost a sell due to these now discounted pieces of equipment.