PDA

View Full Version : Residential or Commercial

fiprlawn
03-18-2009, 10:24 AM
I just got the contract to mow a four acre property. I have been looking at the cub cadet ztr 50, or a Toro 50 both around $3000, but both of these are residential mowers. Would I be better off to get a used commercial mower or will either of these be efficient.

TomberLawn
03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Definitely look for a used commercial unit. Four acres is big, so you'll probably want to look for a 52-61" mower, maybe even 72", but a 72" won't be as useful when you get other smaller properties. A commercial mower with under 1000 hours will last a lot longer than a brand new residential mower and be more productive.

lawnpro724
03-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Commercial otherwise you will be kicking yourself for buying a residential mower. Used commercial is a lot better than a new residential mower and will last much longer.

mowerbrad
03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Those residential ztrs were made to mow average sized properties not several acres. A used commercial mower will definately last you much longer and hold up much better. I would not suggest getting a 72" mower, that would be over kill for just one property of that size. A 52"-60" deck would be fine.

terrypiper
03-18-2009, 02:10 PM
as said above go commercial and you wont regret it. you need to think about the terrain of the property if there is any rough spots then look for something with suspension or at least a suspension seat.

Proc's Lawncare
03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
You can buy a very decent used commercial zt for $3k... guess it depends on how many other properties you were looking to do though... Personally, we DO use a res zt snapper for our 1 acre church property, just the way it's laid out the lighter resi machine makes it look so much nicer, but like I said, we only do this one property with it and I wouldn't dream of doing a full schedule of lawns a full season on a res zt.