PDA

View Full Version : Does it make any difference to you...

irrig8r
03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
... where your sprinklers are manufactured?

Doing some head replacements yesterday. Originals were HIT brand. Bad flow-by after a few years in the ground...

Anyway, happened to look at a flush cap on an 1806 and it said Made In China... then looked at my 1806 SAMs and they read "Assembled In Mexico" (where I know a lot of Rain Bird stuff hasbeen put together in over the border maquiladoras for a while), while my 1804s read "Made In USA".

The China label was a new one to me....

Wet_Boots
03-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Aren't all the commonplace controllers made in China by now?

AI Inc
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Aren't all the commonplace controllers made in China by now?

Im guessing yes. Im a proc c , ICC guy . But I would gladly pay $20 more if it was american made. At least hunter valves , rotors and sprayers ( ps ) are still us made.
I try to buy as much US made stuff as possible.

This can help

http://www.madeinusa.org/

DanaMac
03-18-2009, 01:15 PM
As much as I would like it to all be US made, realistically it is not going to happen in any industry. Try finding a computer that's made here, assembled here, with all US made chips and processors. Not going to happen. I want a GOOD product, regardless of where it is made. If I am given the choice of a poorly made US product that is 25%-50% cheaper than a Chinese made product that has always been reliable and is a quality product, I will go with the foreign product.

My Nissan was made in either Mississippi or Tennessee. I forget which. Plenty of American workers there.

Kiril
03-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Quality and reliability are the only things that matter to me .... I could care less where it is manufactured as long as those two items are met.

bobw
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm in Canada... no irrigation stuff gets manufactured here... just send me quality materials at good prices.. .I'm not the least bit fussy at all what country its coming from.

sprinklerchris
03-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Im guessing yes. Im a proc c , ICC guy . But I would gladly pay $20 more if it was american made. At least hunter valves , rotors and sprayers ( ps ) are still us made.
I try to buy as much US made stuff as possible.

This can help

http://www.madeinusa.org/

Checked at my local distributor....

The Hunter ASV, PGV and ICV valves are made in Mexico. The SRV in China.

The Pro-Spray in Mexico, SRS in China, PS spray in US. All controllers, remotes in China.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I HATE CHINA. Won't make any bones about it. I try to buy USA or at least something other than China. I'd pay 10% more if that is what it took but it seems in many cases Chinese goods are the only option.

I voted it's a global economy deal with it.

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Checked at my local distributor....

The Hunter ASV, PGV and ICV valves are made in Mexico. The SRV in China.

The Pro-Spray in Mexico, SRS in China, PS spray in US. All controllers, remotes in China.

Yes Im bummed about controllers being made there. My last trip out to San Marcos I commented on that.
Only Hunter valves I use are hpv,s . They dont even make the srv anymore , not that I ever used it , it was a POS.
Only Hunter sprayers I use are ps,s , otherwise its Mexican made 1800,s.

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Anyone see Ted Koppels show on China? The Chinese save their money untill they can afford American made products as they know Chinease made stuff is garbage.

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Ill be using the solay synv this yr. Im not to crazy about that being made in Chine thou.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Anyone see Ted Koppels show on China? The Chinese save their money untill they can afford American made products as they know Chinease made stuff is garbage.

Ted Koppel is still alive?

Waterit
03-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Ted Koppel is still alive?

And his hair is still perfect.

DanaMac
03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Ill be using the solay synv this yr. Im not to crazy about that being made in Chine thou.

Where'd you learn to spell boy? :laugh:

DanaMac
03-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Yes I saw it a while ago. Pretty informative show.

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
What makes you think I ever learned to spell?

DanaMac
03-19-2009, 10:35 AM
What makes you think I ever learned to spell?

Just screwin' with ya. I like being Mike Leary's spelling enforcer lackey. Were you trying to spell solar sync? Kinda far from it.

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Whats a couple letters amongst friends?

Tom Tom
03-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Ewing has a good deal going on them solar synchros for not much more than a wireless rain guage.

Waterit
03-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Ewing has a good deal going on them solar synchros for not much more than a wireless rain guage.

They're also trying to unload their remaining stock of the SRR remote for about $50 each. Good little HO piece.

Wet_Boots
03-19-2009, 11:58 AM
What's the current Solar Synch cost?

Kiril
03-19-2009, 12:04 PM

way out of your price range you cheap bastard. :laugh:

duwaprod
03-19-2009, 12:16 PM
As much as I would like it to all be US made, realistically it is not going to happen in any industry. Try finding a computer that's made here, assembled here, with all US made chips and processors.

Dana is right. We assemble our products in California using enclosures and printed circuit board assemblies from US companies. We insist that the printed circuit boards are assembled in the US. We use US based companies for printing, packaging, etc. We purchase components from US companies whenever we can. But the reality is that most electronic components are manufactured outside the US (regardless of the companies home base) and there are some parts that I don't really know where they come from. In today's economy any business in a tough competitive market will eventually have to go to low cost labor markets to stay competitive.

--Don

Mike Leary
03-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm not even sure RM and Calsense are 100% U.S.A. anymore. :cry:

Kiril
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not even sure RM and Calsense are 100% U.S.A. anymore. :cry:

SHUT UP :nono::hammerhead::dizzy::hammerhead::laugh:

DanaMac
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Dana is right.

Why don't more people realize this........ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

An in-law family member of mine is working for a company in New Zealand, making a camping product. They are made in China or Vietnam if I remember. The costs to produce it locally in NZ and export it from there to anywhere are no where near cost beneficial.

I wish we could keep all our jobs and money here, but then we should expect other nations to snub us even more than they do now. If we don't buy their products why should they buy ours.

Kiril
03-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Why don't more people realize this........ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are right Dana. :laugh:

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 01:58 PM

Cost $65 or so , retails for $129 and change