PDA

View Full Version : 5 acres of mowing, once a month??!?!??!?!?!

capnsac
03-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Yes, you read correctly, I am bidding a 5 acre property to be cut ONCE a month. Best part is, NO TRIMMING INVOLVED, and it's all open field! I have two 60" ztr's that will be able to knock this out in about an hours time. What would this be bid at in your local area??

I will tell you what I am bidding it at once I see 5 figures from different users. :weightlifter:

nylawnman75
03-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Wow, if half my jobs were that easy I'd be thrilled!

Razorblades
03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
$250.00, it seems like it would take longer than that if you're going to only cut it once a month. In my area, a months growth would be over knee high and thick too.

ExtExc
03-18-2009, 12:16 PM
have to cut it twice? bag and remove?

capnsac
03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
have to cut it twice? bag and remove?

most likely cut it twice, once at 5.5" and the next at 2.5".

No bagging

capnsac
03-18-2009, 12:19 PM
$250.00, it seems like it would take longer than that if you're going to only cut it once a month. In my area, a months growth would be over knee high and thick too.

You're right, I forgot to mention the double cut

White Gardens
03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
If your serious about it, I would skip the ztr.

Go find a cheap utilty tractor and a pull behind, or three point brush or finish mower.

5 acres is lot. Sounds more like a pasture than a lawn. No way would I waste my time doing a once a month cutting with a ztr.

capnsac
03-18-2009, 12:52 PM

Go find a cheap utilty tractor and a pull behind, or three point brush or finish mower.

5 acres is lot. Sounds more like a pasture than a lawn. No way would I waste my time doing a once a month cutting with a ztr.

what about using the meg-mo system or x-blade?

kaferhaus
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM

Time is money, I wouldn't pass on it but I'd damn sure make sure I was making good money doing it.

Problem is some guy with a small bush hog will likely come along and kill you on price. We do those jobs with a Kubota tractor and 5ft bush hog.

BUT we have a $250 MINIMUM charge for it's use. So it'd be a $250 job with no trimming. I wouldn't go near it with ZTRs at that price though. Stuff is likely going to be a foot tall or worse and green... sure the ZTRs will cut it in two passes but it's not going to be good for them and I'd be careful of your time estimate as the second cut is going to take much longer than the first due to all the heavy discharged grass laying on top of the next cut.

topsites
03-18-2009, 01:07 PM
260, 270, 300, somewhere in that range.
But they ain't going for that or they wouldn't have asked for once a month.

That or set the blades way high, but it still won't work so good and Z's really aren't made for mowing hay fields...
Them blades find the right obstacle and it can cost an easy $100+ in parts alone, not to mention down time.
A Ztr is a finish mower, there is a reason they're called that.

So I reckon a flail mower is the only way then.
These fall under the category of rough cutters, or bush hogs, and there's also a reason for this.

lawnpro724
03-18-2009, 01:08 PM
If you want to tear up your mowers then go for it. Like what was said before get a tractor and bushhog a month between cuts is way to long. The grass is going to be over a foot tall not to mention all the weeds. You will end up overheating your mower and burning through belts and who knows what else. You say you have two Zs but if you take that account you won't have them for long.

tlc23
03-18-2009, 01:54 PM
My bid would be 300 once a month or 175 every 2 weeks. This might change their mind about the once a month cut.

mowerbrad
03-18-2009, 02:02 PM
How nice is the property. Is it weeds and rough ground or grass and fairly smooth ground? That would make a huge difference. If I were to bid on it and have to double cut it, I would say around $300.

kaferhaus
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
My bid would be 300 once a month or 175 every 2 weeks. This might change their mind about the once a month cut.

That give them what incentive to mow twice a month????:hammerhead:

capnsac
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
How nice is the property. Is it weeds and rough ground or grass and fairly smooth ground? That would make a huge difference. If I were to bid on it and have to double cut it, I would say around $300.

smooth ground, not rough at all, no trees, only drawback is it has a fairly steep hill where the 36" walk behind would have to be used, but it is maybe 1/2 of an acre.

It is thick grass, so after each mow I would need to sharpen the blades.

HOOLIE
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I would just charge an hourly rate for something this infrequent....believe it or not, I have an acre job that I cut one or two times PER YEAR, yes, per year. It's primarily weeds and dirt. A few areas of half decent grass. Depending on the conditions, I've charged anywhere from $75 to $200. I only do this lawn because I get $1500 a year from them for leaf removal.

I think anytime you're going so long between cuts, it's fair to not have a set price. Too many things can happen over 4 weeks time.

JB1
03-18-2009, 03:27 PM
for me, one hundred fifty bucks per time and in less than a hour.

tlc23
03-18-2009, 04:10 PM
That give them what incentive to mow twice a month????:hammerhead:
What do you think looks better, a yard that is mowed once a month or one that is mowed every two weeks? They get a much nicer looking property and it will only cost them $50 more.

kaferhaus
03-18-2009, 04:52 PM
What do you think looks better, a yard that is mowed once a month or one that is mowed every two weeks? They get a much nicer looking property and it will only cost them $50 more.

These folks are low-ballers, and it seems it's not a "lawn" at all more of a pasture.

I agree with your premise though, it'd certainly LOOK much better, but sounds like these folks aren't concerned about that in the first place or they'd not be asking for a once a month price.

STIHL GUY
03-18-2009, 05:40 PM
5 acres is a lot for a ZTR not to mention all the wear and tear on your mowers

topsites
03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
All right, maybe the lot isn't so bad, a 60" Ztr can certainly tackle 5 acres of lawn in terms of size, but...

I think the question that needs to be asked is this...
Would you take on a regular size yard where the customer only wants it cut once a month?
Better still, have you ever done so?

If so, how would you adjust the price, or how did you adjust it?
And, can you foresee how that would work out, or how did it work?
Those are key questions, the answers being what I would base my decision on.

Because if such were the case, then perhaps use that same formula, now I can't guarantee that it will work from my end.
So don't hate on me if it don't LOL

Pietro
03-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Its up to you man. All depends on how bad you need the business. I might take it, but we would have to work something out. We have a few vacant lots we cut here.....we usually mow em every 2 weeks. However, we tell our clients we wont cut it when it doesnt need it. So if we roll up in july and the grass isnt too tall, we wont cut it. So I would work with em. When its growing strong, we cut it 2 times a month, when its not so high we will let it go every 3 weeks or so. Thats where we get personal with our clients. I clearly let them all know I am not here to steal their money. We WORK for ours, and we want their trust. I think thats why they keep coming back every seaon. Not sure thou, im just a dumb lawn guy!

MOturkey
03-18-2009, 08:07 PM
I think on this one I'd have to agree with Hoolie in charging an hourly rate. Rains every week, and you've got 2 feet of grass. No rain, and you are cutting 2 inches of growth. I would figure what I thought would be my maximum time under the worst conditions and give them a bid based on $X per hour, but a ceiling of $X, explaining this would be a fairer way to charge them, due to the possible major difference in conditions with monthly mowing depending upon weather conditions, time of year, etc.

GOOSEHANSON
03-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I have a piece of property on my account that is 8 acres...it is grass and is in good shape but it is pasture grass...there is a little bit of trimming but not much...I mow it once a week and it takes about 3 hours almost wide open with my 52" Husky commercial...no bagging..I would bid yours at $600.00 a cut...tell them you will cut the price a little if done every other week..

N.TX
03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
If I was doing it every 2 weeks I would charge about 150. With it being once a month its going to be a pain ... I would figure on about 250 or more.

Ric3077
03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I have one just like that but it's only 3 acres and I get $350/month (it's only cut once a month)...but we are only using a 48" and a 36" rider. It takes us about 3 hours and we double cut at 5" each pass, no bagging. I would need at LEAST $500 for 5 acres.

All open no house or improvements, no trimming

OrangeToys
03-19-2009, 10:26 AM
I have 10acers I do that is open field and I cut it twice a month in the wet season and cut it tall because its so rough. and that takes me 3hrs with a 48" and 61". I charge $275 everytime

capnsac
03-19-2009, 11:46 AM
I have 10acers I do that is open field and I cut it twice a month in the wet season and cut it tall because its so rough. and that takes me 3hrs with a 48" and 61". I charge $275 everytime

What type of grass is it do youknow?

shovelracer
03-19-2009, 01:46 PM
It depends on a lot of factors. I have a client that does his 10 acre tree farm mowing once a month with his old 60" ZTR. He has us weekly his 1/2 acre around the house. Let me tell you that the conditions are so poor that once a month is fine for the field. Now if it was a regular property that wanted it once a month I would tell them to keep shopping. Assuming it is nutrient deprived field grass and looks werent important I would consider doing the 5 acres for around 300, if it was rough ground it would be more. Scheduling would be when I got to it.

SouthSide Cutter
03-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Mow around a pond for a lady 3 times a year its fescue. Cuts it pretty easy. Scag TT with 61" Advantage deck 29 Kaw. Its never fert. so it doesnt grow to bad. If I done to much of this it would be a small tractor and bush hog. Mow it if it doesnt pan out drop it.