PDA

View Full Version : Regarding equipment servicing-does your dealer offer that?

hummingbird3d
03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm closing on a couple of dealers who I may get my lawn mower, trimmer, hedge trimmer and blower. With luck he'll cut me a good package deal, however, when I asked him if they service the equipment that they would sell me, he said that I would bring that up with the manufacturer. WTF, I thought and commented, doesn't this purchase work like if I bought a car from a dealer and this same dealer services this car if/when something goes wrong?? He said no, I go to the manufacturer.

I told this to guy who used to do lawn care services and then as a sales rep for many manufacturers of the the equipment and he said that the sales guy must have misunderstood my question.

If he didn't, then I might have to go to the more expensive guy.:dizzy:

Pietro
03-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Screw them. Get a different dealer. I buy all my stuff from 1 place. They service it all. They take care of me too since Im a loyal customer. If a crucial machine goes down, were usually 1st on the list. If theyre THAt backed up we get a demo machine in its place or a "loaner" of equal caliber.....and our machine is still fixed asap. Its simple. They take care of us, and we give them all of our business.

Think Green
03-18-2009, 09:12 PM
A licensed sales rep is selling you a possible package deal on lawn equipment. They had to think or get back with you regarding a phone contact with the supplier.?????
Sounds to me like you need to search for a legal, licnesed, reputable dealer.
All of our dealers here sell and service all their brands. Hell, the manufacturer's rely on their services to make them money.
My 2 cents..................RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN!!!???!?!?!?!

mowerbrad
03-18-2009, 09:12 PM
If that dealer doesn't service the equipment I wouldn't even think about buying from him, unless you do ALL your own repairs. And going to the manufacturer will get you no where, all they will tell you is where the next closest dealer is.

Grits
03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Surely he misunderstood you. Yes, a dealer is should service the equipment that they sell. Heck, they make more money servicing equipment than they do selling it.

hummingbird3d
03-20-2009, 01:01 PM
I called the dealer back and some others in the area and the replies were, we can help with questions on the equipment, but servicing would be through the manufacturer. This seems almost as bad as Home Depot, but more expensive.

So just what kind of service is available from the shops that you get your equipment from? I'm starting to believe that I'm asking too much from these dealers since no one services the equipment that they sell:hammerhead:

Maybe this idea of servicing equipment sold to customers is an outdated concept, like putting air in tires and cleaning windshields on a car during a gas fill up...

Proc's Lawncare
03-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Uhm NO, you SHOULD expect your dealer to service what they sell, I am shocked that they wouldn't... Like everyone else here has said, they make there main stay monies on repairing the machines and so forth.... If this was the "new norm" we would all be buying Home depot crap and just sell off our crap on ebay and buy new crap from home depot every 3 months or what ever....

The dealer can and should service what they sell, if NOT then they are not a true licensed dealer for that product line and i would be VERY cautious about dealing with them.

Think Green
03-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Hummingbird,
Tell us what brands of equipment are you trying to purchase. Seems to me that you are trying to get an offer from off brand products.
I know that Lowe's--Home Depot--Sam's Club sells lawn equipment and will often tell customers that if problems arise to contact a local service provider but you will not get passed the switchboard operator on a manufacturer level. I can't call Exmark Corporation office and talk to anyone about repairs. They will direct you to the nearest reputable dealer. IF it is about warranty issues--they may talk to you!

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Would the dealer your talking to happen to be Walmart? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Danscapes
03-21-2009, 10:52 AM
My dealer services ANYTHING that a commercial operator brings in, and will only service the brands that he sells for homeowners.

hummingbird3d
03-22-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm looking at getting Shindaiwa, Redmax, Echo and either honda or a Toro lawnmower. This time I'm sure that there was no misunderstanding about my question on whether they would service the tools I would buy from them. I even made the analogy of buying a car from a dealership and how they service their cars.

topsites
03-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Would the dealer your talking to happen to be Walmart? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Either that or the guys saw trouble?

I'm looking at getting Shindaiwa, Redmax, Echo and either honda or a Toro lawnmower. This time I'm sure that there was no misunderstanding about my question on whether they would service the tools I would buy from them. I even made the analogy of buying a car from a dealership and how they service their cars.

hmmm...
Maybe step down from the posh Bmw service department with all the kissy-butt
and smoochy lips talk, and ask the lawn mower sales man this question:
YO dood yoo Got a F'n Repair SHawp?

And if the lawn mower sales man answers with a loud "HUH" or better "HAW?"
then you say "To FIX ma Chit when it craps owt?"
To which he'll prolly say "Oh.... YEAH!" real loud like.

And maybe that's a bit too far in the other direction, but it's the only thing I can think of is that these guys
were somehow turned off as they may have inferred that your expectations might be on the high side...

grasschopperofchicago
03-22-2009, 12:44 PM
No, Dealership service isn't a thing of the past....

I get fantastic service, I can usually get repair done within an hour, my dealer will actually pull a part off another unit in inventory if he doesn't have it in stock. If he doesn't have the part at all, I will get a loaner, and usually he sends me something cool to try out (cuz he knows I have an ego and love new toys)...I just made a purchase yesterday, and I almost considered a quick 40 as a fill in machine, but the ease of working on it myself wasn't a selling point to me...My dealer will come pick up in the field (local to my accounts) and take my unit in and drop at times as well...if I know service issue.

Sammy
03-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I just don't get it. If he sells new equipment, he has to be a certified dealer, Right ?
Is this a hardware store ? We need more information about the type and size of dealer you are talking to.

Not talking Lowes or Walmart or Home Cheapo.

Sammy
03-22-2009, 01:09 PM
They have a web site ?

Sammy
03-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Try "Allens Lawnmower and Garden Center."
He is in Santa Anna.

Alan's Lawnmower has one of the largest selections of Outdoor Power Equipment parts and accessories period. Based in Santa Ana we are convienient to all of orange county and can ship parts and accessories anywhere in the US.

Some of the model lines we carry include Briggs & Stratton, Echo, Exmark, Honda Power Equipment, Kohler, Husqvarna, Scag, Shindaiwa, Snapper, Stihl and Toro.

Our first-class Service department is the best place for
your equipment. We have earned loyal customers for over 35 years by offering the best service at affordable rates. If you ask your gardener where their equipment gets repaired, chances are they'll say "Alan's." From minor tune-ups and maintenance to major overhauls, our knowledgeable, certified mechanics can get you up and running quickly. Call for an appointment today!

http://www.alanslawn.com/

Mowingman
03-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I never have heard of a delaer that did not have a parts and service dept
Don't even think of buying from that clown. Find a real dealer somewhere. Sounds like that guy is selling out of the trunk of his car.

FourTrees
03-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey man, shhhhh, don't tell nobody; BUT have I got a deal for you. Complete mow package. Don't mind that serial numbers all been scratched off do you. Just look at em, they all new. Sure the guy that built em he take care of you. I promise.

Most legit dealers freely admit they make a majority of money taking care of you after the sale.

hummingbird3d
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Well, I called Alans (thanks for the link) the guy told me that it costs $20 for service, but if they check out your equipment and you choose to not have the equipment fixed by them then the $20 is kept by them and can be used later to buy new equipment. Sounds fine to me.

ALC-GregH
03-23-2009, 03:33 PM
You should stay in school and get an education first.

grasschopperofchicago
03-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I never have heard of a delaer that did not have a parts and service dept
Don't even think of buying from that clown. Find a real dealer somewhere. Sounds like that guy is selling out of the trunk of his car.

Better outdoor Products doesn't have a service department locally to most unless you are near their plant and even then I don't know if they offer service, they ship you the unit!---one of the reasons you can't get them serviced like me in Chicago, so I selected paying $3500 more for a Scag roughly over their Dually40...I have heard decent things and complaints about Quick, but my biggest issue is service...after an 80-100 hour week, I don't want to service my OWN equipment!!

Mowingman
03-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I forgot about the BOP situation. However, this is exactly why I would never consider purchasing a BOP machine.

Better outdoor Products doesn't have a service department locally to most unless you are near their plant and even then I don't know if they offer service, they ship you the unit!---one of the reasons you can't get them serviced like me in Chicago, so I selected paying $3500 more for a Scag roughly over their Dually40...I have heard decent things and complaints about Quick, but my biggest issue is service...after an 80-100 hour week, I don't want to service my OWN equipment!!