PDA

View Full Version : Power Broom...

Mowbizz
03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I am thinking of buying a broom/sweeper attachment for my Stihl Kombi head. Can anyone tell me which is better for sweeping sand off of grass (street edges)...the rubber paddles or the bristle brushes (or neither)???? I may give an estimate for sand cleanup and have never done it before and was wondering if these units would hurt the turf any...thanks for your input!

Grits
03-18-2009, 09:53 PM
I see guys here that mow the highway using the one with bristles.

threeleafllc
03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
we use bolth.. and the guys tell me the rubber paddles work better on the grass were sand has been pushed up..i wouldnt wana do a whole lawn that way.. they get very hard to use after a while..
Allen

Mowbizz
03-18-2009, 10:42 PM
we use bolth.. and the guys tell me the rubber paddles work better on the grass were sand has been pushed up..i wouldnt wana do a whole lawn that way.. they get very hard to use after a while..
Allen

Thanks...it seems even though there are differing opinions as to which works better on grass, the rubber paddles are favored (after searching the subject).

I guess the paddles have it!

Now to buy one and go make my $$ back on the first job!:drinkup:

Side note: Is there ever a time in this occupation where you don't have to keep spending $$$ on new stuff each season???

Two Seasons
03-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks...it seems even though there are differing opinions as to which works better on grass, the rubber paddles are favored (after searching the subject).

I guess the paddles have it!

Now to buy one and go make my $$ back on the first job!:drinkup:

Side note: Is there ever a time in this occupation where you don't have to keep spending $$$ on new stuff each season???

We have the rubber paddles. We use it to push around old mulch after we use the pitchfork on the old piles. Works pretty good if you take a moderate amount each time.

With sand removal, you might try using the rubber paddles then use a BP blower to finish.

nobagger
03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
We have the rubber paddles for our Sthil power head. It works great on lawns with hardly, if any damage at all. I will say they get very heavy after a while. We also use it for curb cleaning at some of our lots, it seems to keep the debris a little more under control vs. a big blower. All in all a good investment imo.

punt66
03-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I have the shindy power broom with the paddles. Paddles are the way to go.

The mayor
03-19-2009, 05:49 PM
We use the rubber paddles on our stihl. Gets heavy after awhile.

Mowbizz
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I got a quote for a package that includes the whole unit (bristle brushes) and just the paddle unit with drums that can be swapped out by pulling a cotter pin...$434 + tax
They do not discount these things at all! I'm going to try a couple different dealers as there are many Stihl dealers around here...damn...when do I get to stop spending $$$$!!

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I got a quote for a package that includes the whole unit (bristle brushes) and just the paddle unit with drums that can be swapped out by pulling a cotter pin...$434 + tax
They do not discount these things at all! I'm going to try a couple different dealers as there are many Stihl dealers around here...damn...when do I get to stop spending $$$$!!

Does that include a power head? or just the attachments?

Crash
03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
The rubber paddles def. work better on the grass as long as you have the right amount of pressure on it.

pieperlc
03-26-2009, 06:03 PM
We got the paddle attachment this year. Stihl says the bristle brush is to be used on paved surfaces only. When putting the gearbox and guard on the shaft, I put both of them on upside down. It's much easier to run in reverse. The guard stops most of the debris so you don't get dirty. Put the new padded shoulder trap on and use your body to pull the broom.

Mowbizz
03-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Does that include a power head? or just the attachments?

No power head...just the bristle unit (complete) and the rubber paddle unit to swap onto the shaft when needed.
I went to another dealer and he was willing to knock off a bit on the package...so I went with it for $410. I HOPE my spending is DONE for this season (besides fuel and such!) sigh...:cry:

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 07:29 PM
No power head...just the bristle unit (complete) and the rubber paddle unit to swap onto the shaft when needed.
I went to another dealer and he was willing to knock off a bit on the package...so I went with it for $410. I HOPE my spending is DONE for this season (besides fuel and such!) sigh...:cry:

yeah, ouch!

Happy Frog
03-27-2009, 09:34 PM
I used the Echo power brush attachment and it worked great to remove compacted wet soil and sand from the road around the grass (could not have done it with a blower).
The rubber paddle are for use on grass only.
Be prepared to get quite a bit of dirt in your face... :)

lawnproslawncare
03-27-2009, 10:03 PM
$350 ish at my dealer for the bristles