PDA

View Full Version : **Official Amsoil Saber 2-Cycle Feedback Thread**

AmsoilPower
03-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Here is the official thread to post feedback regarding the Amsoil Saber Professional 100:1 2-cycle oil. Please post any comments if you have received samples and/or use the stuff regularly in your equipment. I will be using this thread specifically for testimonials for guys that are "curious and on the fence". It will be much easier to send them to one thread rather than searching all the time.

All posts are appreciated and descriptive feedback is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you all for your time and effort.:clapping::clapping:

honeydopm
03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
I just ordered a case so i will let you know soon. I bought a new trimmer from my dealer and he asked if i wanted it filled with Opti-2 2 cycle mix and i toled him im using Amsoil now and he said "that stuff is junk youre gonna have nothing but problems". I laughed at him! I was going to purchase bulk Opti-2 from him but he wouldn't cut any deals so i think hes upset that i took business away from him. I can attest to one thing-Amsoil has great customer service and they are all very helpful!!

Grits
03-19-2009, 12:59 AM
I haven't used the sample I received, yet. I will be mixing a new batch of 50:1 tomorrow though. Some of my handhelds have been slow to warm up. If Amsoil cures that, then I will be hooked. I will let you know tomorrow night how the day went.
I'm actually a little excited about trying out a different oil.........do I have a problem?

ALC-GregH
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Grits, you can easily mix the Saber at 80:1 and be perfectly safe with engine lubrication. The stuff is the best I've used so far. Honestly I can't really say "so far" as I'm not even considering any other mix oil. I've used it for a few years and haven't had a single issue. I won't use anything else. Heck, I had the Echo mix oil and gave it to a friend that needed mix oil.

mainstreet1984
03-19-2009, 01:50 PM
What is it about Amsoil? I have stihl 4 and 2 stroke and was using shindava oil also I have red max and planning to use same oil for it...Seems to me that oil works fine. Maybe there something I don't know about this oil? Will be thankful for a replay!

milo
03-19-2009, 05:13 PM
What is it about Amsoil? I have stihl 4 and 2 stroke and was using shindava oil also I have red max and planning to use same oil for it...Seems to me that oil works fine. Maybe there something I don't know about this oil? Will be thankful for a replay!
nothing to know, its a good oil but its way over hyped. you say this is the offical trend for amsoil?????? why not sposer lawnsite and have your own for real????
at the end of the day, oil is oil. its just like sick people that they do tests on and give placebo pills, they feel as good as the people on the real pill. sometimes i buy into it and after i snap out of it, its all going to work if meets requirment stamp on oil
on another note: (about oil) i have sport bikes and have a test (from magazine) where ran on a dyno to see if oils can halp or not add horsepower, well there were 2 oils that did 1 was called motul and other maxima. they made 1 extra horsepower out of a bikes doing like 135 horsepower to rear wheel on like 9 other oils these 2 oils pulled 1 more horsepower...
and as for 2 stroke oil i run klotz super techniplate. why u ask?? well if u ever ran it, it has the best smell

CrystalCreek
03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, last year I was doing a cleanup for a friend and I ran out of 2 cycle. Thought I had more Redmax mix in the truck, but I was out:cry: I went to this little mom and pop shop and picked up some mix. They had a few bottles of Amsoil:dizzy: I only picked up one bottle as I had tons of Redmax at home. I went to the gas station, which was a no name station. Made the mix, went back to the job, and proceded to continue. I noticed a marked differece in the equipment. It was much worse. I think it was the gas. I dont care how good an oil is, sh*t gas will never work good. I wanted to try another sample, but the store sold the last two bottles. I have not been able to find that stuff anywhere. Moral of the story, buy good gas!

grass_cuttin_fool
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I received a free sample last year from Amsoil power, I didnt tear anything down to compare before and after....I mixed at 65 : 1......2 oz per gallon.......after using the mix my trimmers ran just as before....THe smell was better from the exhaust and I have ordered enough product to last me through the 09 season.......I found the price to be very competitive also...try it I think you will be pleased with the results

tyler_mott85
03-19-2009, 07:36 PM
What is it about Amsoil that allows you to mix leaner than 50:1? Because its a synthetic?

traman
03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
am on my first quart now ,mixing it at 100 to one,so far no difference at all ,still have the same little gremlins i always had. will update when the quart is gone.

punt66
03-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Nobody carries it around here. So couldnt add anything.

flatlander42
03-19-2009, 07:57 PM
I got mine in the mail Today! I have not and will not mix it here for at least a week. I'll post up when I do. I have a Stihl FS110.....do I mix it the same, or what?

THANKS!

Nathan

tamadrummer
03-19-2009, 08:24 PM
I mixed up my first purchased batch for the summer season yesterday. I mixed at just under 50:1 (you do the math, 6 oz to 2.5 gal)

On the first tank in my Shindaiwa LE231 it seemed to increase power. I normally have some bogging issues in a couple of yards that the fert/squirt companies slam with Ammonia Nitrate and in less than a week the edges look like they have not been edged in a month. No problems now and it is jamming through.

My other equipment seems to be running a little better with less sputtering at high RPMs but I thought that was just the "speed limiting ignition coil" that makes the 4 mix engines in hand held gear but it is certainly not sputtering as much after the break in and running the Saber at 55:1 or so.

I like it and will use it for the rest of the season. I will need to order at least 2 more cases of the 8oz bottles.

punt66
03-19-2009, 08:27 PM
how much does the amsoil cost compared to the others.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
how much does the amsoil cost compared to the others.

If I remember correctly.....Stihl oil is costing me 70 cents a gallon mix......I have filed my invoice with Amsoil and dont have it handy but if I remember it was about 45 cents a gallon mixed.....Im using it @65:1

punt66
03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
OK thanks for the info.

Frue
03-20-2009, 12:01 AM
I have been using it for 2 years. 100:1 and no issues at all. I have noticed I use more gas. I turned my friend onto it and he also said he thinks he uses more gas.

bare31
03-20-2009, 12:16 AM
The mix oil is great! I used to notice that my equipment was sluggish, not any more!

AmsoilPower
03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
I haven't used the sample I received, yet. I will be mixing a new batch of 50:1 tomorrow though. Some of my handhelds have been slow to warm up. If Amsoil cures that, then I will be hooked. I will let you know tomorrow night how the day went.
I'm actually a little excited about trying out a different oil.........do I have a problem?

Well Grits.......How did it work out for you?

AmsoilPower
03-26-2009, 06:13 PM
What is it about Amsoil that allows you to mix leaner than 50:1? Because its a synthetic?

Yes. You can use almost half the amount of Amsoil to do the same lubrication as a 50:1 mix. Probably will save you a little $$$$ in the long run as well.:clapping:

slawn
03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
I been using it for the first time the last 2 weeks. I couldn't tell any difference on my edger or trimmer. On my blower and hedge trimmers I could, my blower has been sluggish when wide open, not with the Amsoil. Same thing with my hedge trimmer. Best thing my cloths didn't smell like smoke after running the hedge trimmers. Usually my shirt sinks the rest of the day after hedge trimming. I mixed it 75:1, after reading on here, some say 50:1, others 100:1, figured I would go in between.

tamadrummer
03-26-2009, 09:18 PM
My equipment is running great at 50:1 and 93 octane!

I will be ordering 2 more cases to make it through the season.

(All buy 4 customers is late on payment right now. Not ordering anything until some flipping money comes in!)

Happy Frog
03-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't know how many times people have to be explained that this oil is designed to meet or exceed 2 stroke engines lubrication requirements and all its certifications while mixed at 100:1 :confused:

There is no need to mix it at 50:1 and this will only decrease the performance of your engine.

80:1 is a good ratio for engines with high tolerances used in hot weather.

I use this oil in all my 2 stroke engines (at 80:1) and I have yet to encounter any problem.

I will remove the exhaust of one of my PAS-265 and post some pics of what I'll find in the exhaust port soon.

flatlander42
03-27-2009, 04:29 PM
So I will not need to follow the mixing recommendations for my specific equipment?

I want to find out ahead of time!

AmsoilPower
03-27-2009, 05:04 PM
So I will not need to follow the mixing recommendations for my specific equipment?

I want to find out ahead of time!

Correct. Ignore what the manufacturer says. Just about every piece of 2-cycle handheld equipment made says to use a 50:1 mix. That is said because every manufacturer does not have a bottle of oil with their name on it capable of being mixed at 80 or 100:1 w/out burning up the engines.

tamadrummer
03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=Happy Frog;2886161]I don't know how many times people have to be explained that this oil is designed to meet or exceed 2 stroke engines lubrication requirements and all its certifications while mixed at 100:1 :confused:

There is no need to mix it at 50:1 and this will only decrease the performance of your engine.

80:1 is a good ratio for engines with high tolerances used in hot weather.

I use this oil in all my 2 stroke engines (at 80:1) and I have yet to encounter any problem.

I will remove the exhaust of one of my PAS-265 and post some pics of what I'll find in the exhaust port soon.[/QUOTE/]

Give me proof that running at 50:1 with Saber will harm my equipment. I have experience at 80:1 and it wasn't good so I will run at 50:1 and be happy until you or someone can actually provide some form of proof v. opinion.

Pennington Lawncare
03-27-2009, 07:05 PM
I would not hesitate to run Amsoil at 100:1. The first time I ran any of their Saber 100:1 oil I mixed it at 80:1. The first tank of gas I ran through a brand new Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw with 20 inch bar was that Saber mixed at 80:1. I would have ran it at 100:1 except on a new 2 stroke engine it is recommended to run a little higher percentage of oil on the first tank.

Anyway, I proceeded to cut wood all weekend with the 80:1 mix and then I went to 100:1 for the rest of the winter. Mainly hard wood like White Oak and I mean logs so big the 20 inch bar would not cut all the way through it. I also started running my old Stihl 025 with the same 100:1 mix and a chainsaw's engine that is cutting through a log of hard wood is put under much more load than a trimmer ever will be. If a chainsaw can run on Saber mixed at 100:1 then a trimmer or blower should never have a problem with that same ratio. If Amsoil didn't intend for you to run their oil at 100:1 then they wouldn't have said it was 100:1 oil.

If you run their oil at 100:1 then their oil will be cheaper to use than most oils out there. Heck, if you are scared you can run it at 80:1 and it'll still be cheaper to use than most oils out there and still be a very safe pre-mix ratio. I also run Saber in my Husqvarna BP blower and a Echo SRM-210 trimmer and a few year old Husqvarna 323L trimmer. One problem I used to have with the 323L was oil coming out of the muffler back when I was using regular Stihl oil, Husqvarna oil and Echo semi-synthetic oil in that trimmer. That no longer happens with my 323L and the smell of the exhaust is also not nearly as irritating with Saber in anything I run it in.

There are quality oils out there but, synthetic is better than conventional oils and if you buy a quality synthetic 2 stroke oil it's likely going to cost you but, if you can run Amsoil at 80:1 or more then it's a no brainer. It's just cheaper to use than other high quality 2 stroke oils on the market.

Happy Frog
03-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Give me proof that running at 50:1 with Saber will harm my equipment. I have experience at 80:1 and it wasn't good so I will run at 50:1 and be happy until you or someone can actually provide some form of proof v. opinion.

I did not say it would hurt your equipment, I said it would decrease engine performance...
In a 2 stroke engine, burning oil generates less power and more carbon deposits than burning gas so the goal is to meet or exceed their lubrication requirements with the least amount of oil in the mix as possible.
This is exactly what Amsoil does. It allows you to meet or exceed any 2 stroke engine lubrication requirements while mixed at only 100:1
Using it at 50:1 just reduces the power generated by the engine and will produce more carbon deposit over time...
You may want to try E3 spark plugs with Amsoil at 80:1
The original spark plugs are for a "cooler" burning mix (less gas and more oil)
You should not need any proof, you may just need to think a bit more about it... :waving:

lilweeds
03-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Are there any more of these samples available?

tamadrummer
03-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Stihl has made it clear as can be. You can run saber all you want but you better run it at 50:1 or your warranty will be void.

Magnuson-Moss will not cover it. You warranty is for 50:1 not 100:1 or 80:1. They do not have to cover it like it or not. You are not doing the prescribed mix. They can only get away with your mistake, which is improper mix percent not the type of oil as long as it is not TCW-3 or other water cooled oils.

I will run at 50:1 knowing it is a fully synthetic oil, with 93 octane fuel and run wide open to get complete combustion and not worry about fouling plugs/screens or ports.

deereequipment
03-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Nobody carries it around here. So couldnt add anything.

Get hooked up with Hoyt, and buy it from him. Even with freight, it is still very competitively priced. I am happy with my mix. It's recommended to use the 80:1 rather than the 100:1 if your OEM is 50:1.

Happy Frog
03-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Stihl has made it clear as can be. You can run saber all you want but you better run it at 50:1 or your warranty will be void.

Magnuson-Moss will not cover it. You warranty is for 50:1 not 100:1 or 80:1. They do not have to cover it like it or not. You are not doing the prescribed mix. They can only get away with your mistake, which is improper mix percent not the type of oil as long as it is not TCW-3 or other water cooled oils.

I will run at 50:1 knowing it is a fully synthetic oil, with 93 octane fuel and run wide open to get complete combustion and not worry about fouling plugs/screens or ports.

I don't want to start an I'm right, you're wrong tread and I just say this for anyone who could be misleaded by your post.

Engine manufacturers establish lubrication requirements based on industry standards. They can only specify the standards which should be met or exceeded by the mix you are using (API, SAE, JASO, etc...).
Amsoil does that at a ratio of 100:1 while other do it at 50:1
Your warranty cannot be voided as long as the mix you are using meet the lubrication standard required by the manufacturer (API, SAE, JASO, etc...) :hammerhead:

On the other hand, and oddly enough, they could deny a claim if your engine is damaged by carbon build up due to excessive oil in your mix (which is unlikely to happen with Amsoil used at 50:1) :dizzy:

GrassmasterB
03-28-2009, 02:15 AM
hoyt, thank you for the sample. been running it for a while at 80:1 and honestly i can't tell a difference in performance compared to the stihl, redmax and echo blends i've run in the past. the only thing i do notice is the unique smell to the exhaust. i'm currently undecided as to running amsoil in my future mixes.

slawn
04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Question on mixing AMSOIL. I have the 1.5 oz packs it says 100:1. Correct me if I'm wrong that would be 85:1. 128oz/1.5oz = 85:1

Happy Frog
04-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Question on mixing AMSOIL. I have the 1.5 oz packs it says 100:1. Correct me if I'm wrong that would be 85:1. 128oz/1.5oz = 85:1

You are correct and you can use it at 85:1 all day long...

coxslawncare
04-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Started using amsoil at 100:1 last year on a new echo trimmer. Have had no issues. I got the new trimmer because all of a sudden my old one lost power in the middle of an over grown job. I decided to play with the old trimmer and see if I could get it going later that week, drained old gas put in new gas with amsoil and after about 1/2 a tank or so noticed it was turning more rpms or at least sounded that way. By the time the tank was through the trimmer ran just like it did before it lost power.

coxslawncare
04-02-2009, 02:05 AM
I got sold on Amsoil a few years back my dealer told me to try the extended life oil in my truck. Truck pulls a trailer at least 4 days a week if not more. He kept telling me I could go 25k miles on a oil change. I would check my oil every 1k it still looked clear. At about 17k miles on that oil change I decided it needs to be changed so I call order my stuff and he tells me to bring him some of the used oil he wants to send it off for a sample. I brought it over he boxed it up to mail off and the results came back the oil was still good. After 17k miles of pulling a trailer that oil was still good according to amsoil, to me that is amazing. After that I never looked back. I put 119k miles on that truck started using amsoil at around 11k and never had a motor issue. Only time the check engine light ever came on was a hose clamp came loose on the air filter box

Nick's Lawn Care
04-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks Amsoil for the sample!

I'm still waiting for my 2 cycle can to be empty so I'll let you know in a week or two.

Thanks again!

Nick

AmsoilPower
04-16-2009, 01:13 AM
There are alot of samples out there within the last couple months and not much feedback yet. Come on, let's hear the results gentlemen!!!!!

Wizz
04-16-2009, 03:01 AM

+1 It's not the oil that's making the motor sing better...it's the fact there is less oil in the mix, and from personal experience the motor sings it's very best right before melting a piston ring and sticking the piston. And usually if removing that much oil cures an 'issue' it's time for a carb adjustment...taking oil away is just a band-aid fix and you're only subjecting the internals to more heat/stress. One of my local dealers runs Optima at 100:1 exclusively in all their Stihls and Shins, that's what the equipment leaves the door with and they're very vocal about recommending that to their customers...they also happen to get the most repairs into their service center in the area. Having seen/been into/rebuilt 2 stroke motors you want as much lubrication (oil) w/o physically bogging down performance (hence the recommended ratio of 50:1)...any quality oil these days will keep deposits well under control, especially if you run it WOT as mentioned above once in a while to clean it out with combustion/heat, that's the best way to clean things off. With more oil you do take away fuel but detonation is not a major concern at all on these low load applications, but lubrication on the other hand is critical to long engine life, just use 91-93 fuel and there will be no worries with a nice protective 50:1 mix. It'll keep the bearings and piston rings in better shape which will aid in retaining higher compression over time.

AmsoilPower
04-20-2009, 01:30 AM
You can post your feedback here or on the other two sample threads floating around:)