PDA

View Full Version : Dear ...?

dreich3075
03-19-2009, 12:37 AM
When you send out a mass letter, saying something like a price increase or welcome back to the season, do you print each customers name on the top?

Dear Joe Smith
Dear Tom Brady

or

Dear valued customer
Dear Resident

And do you sign the bottom or just print it with your name...?

Thank you for your business,
Dreich3075?

ExtExc
03-19-2009, 12:40 AM
save format, change the name each time to make it more personal. print my name on the bottom.

openbook
03-19-2009, 12:54 AM
If it's a mass mailing then just address it Hello. If it's something more personal then you want to print their name. Signing the bottom is nice.

MikeKle
03-19-2009, 01:20 AM
I thought about this when I first started mailing out letters to clients, if you have 5-15 clients, I would personilize each one by name, but with the amount I send out each spring, I just put the company letterhead on top and do not have a "dear" or To:" line, and just start the paragraph. I really doubt the clients even notice something like this anyway! However for some clients, I will hand write in a small message on the bottom portion that pertains to only them. I believe this makes them feel like we are treating them like a friend rather than just another client.Client loyalty is the best way to keep and grow your business in any industry.

heather lawn sp
03-19-2009, 05:20 AM
A lot of word operating systems have a list feature that allows you to combine a computer form letter with a list of names, a mail merge operation. It takes one name from the list and puts it with the letter and then repeats the process. You make up the blank form letter, you make up the list database and merge them. I've been using it for years for mailing renewal letters to residential lawn care customers

Allens LawnCare
03-19-2009, 09:28 AM
I change the name....In my eyes I don't want to be just a home owner...Some people say it's a waste of time, but keeping it personal is a great thing!

Proc's Lawncare
03-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Totally agree with keeping it on a personal level.... address them individually.

bohiaa
03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
it's called a mail merge. read about it in Microsoft word

ALC-GregH
03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't do any mailings. I do direct calling of each customer. Ask them how the winter months have gone and is everything going OK with them. After a few minutes of small talk I let them know I'm setting up my schedule and want to make sure they are going to have me service their property. That's about as personal as you can get. I also make notes throughout the season so I know whats going on in their life. You know, "hows the wife Bob after her surgery" or "good afternoon Deb, how Kyle doing in soccer" Knowing your customer personally is the almighty key to customer retention. I have all of last years customers and have gotten 3 more without ANY advertising. I hope to get a bunch more that I can win over with my charm, fare pricing and great work. :D

secretary
03-19-2009, 05:31 PM
I agree with heather lawn sp....

Mail merge is the way to go. Then you can make your labels directly from the database, too. I do that all the time, and it is easy to do.

nemow
03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
To our valued customers. Thats how mine start and Im sure they giggle at it. I am on a first name basis with all of my customers so it kinda makes it sound like Im bigger than I am. Little do most of them know they are 1 of 70 ish cutomers. Most think they are the only one. I really dont think many people even notice those kind of things. I would be surprised if half even read my letters. They just sign and send it back. I think they appreciate the self addressed stamped envelope I put in with the renewal letter more than the letter itself.

secretary
03-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Nemow- That's super that you provide stamped envelope for your customers! :clapping: Your personalized service is what will set you apart, especially in this troubled economy. If anything they may feel a little guilty if they don't send it back. :laugh: I always try to hand address most of my correspondence, and if anyone who thinks they don't have time for the little things that make a big difference, you can always have someone else do things like that, ( a teenager with good penmanship would love earning some extra cash for odd jobs like that).

nemow
03-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Nemow- That's super that you provide stamped envelope for your customers! :clapping: Your personalized service is what will set you apart, especially in this troubled economy. If anything they may feel a little guilty if they don't send it back. :laugh: I always try to hand address most of my correspondence, and if anyone who thinks they don't have time for the little things that make a big difference, you can always have someone else do things like that, ( a teenager with good penmanship would love earning some extra cash for odd jobs like that).

I find they come back much faster self addressed and stamped. Check, check ,initial, sign and send. This way it takes them two minutes to fill it out slap it in the envelope and throw it in the mail box.
I've been thinking of doing it when billing also. May speed up the process with that as well.

NewHorizon's Land
03-22-2009, 02:24 PM
You should personalize each one.

If you have Word 2007 you can type a letter than do the mail merge feature and pesonalize each letter. Word will save the names, address, phone, etc for future use.