PDA

View Full Version : Protocol for seeking accounts from bigger companies

Pitbullawns
03-19-2009, 01:19 AM
There are a few landscaping companies in my town. Two of them are a lot "fancier" than I want to be, offering "landscape design" construction, stone work, etc. I am just starting out and more on the weekly mowing, yard clean-up, mulching, bed care, etc. level.
Is it acceptable to contact these companies and ask if they have any smaller accounts they are no longer interested in handling? Has anyone ever done this and has it worked for you?

MikeKle
03-19-2009, 01:37 AM
I have thought about trying that in the past, I did get a few clients from a bigger company but it was thru a friend of mine that knew the owner of the big company and he called me and gave me some clients that he didnt want, I found out why because they had fenced yards with small gates. but I talked to the homeowners and ended up making deals with 2 of them to install larger gates for free if they bought the supplies. the other one didnt want to change his gate, and he went with some kid to cut his. I dont think it would hurt to try calling some companies for this purpose but they may already have a deal set up with someone else for this, also some may want money or a % of the price you charge for the referral, because ultimately the client will think you are somehow affliated with the company they originally called, and if your quality standards are not the same as theirs, they may complain to the larger company.

CGlisson
03-19-2009, 01:44 AM
Good question!

First of all, where in CNY are you?

Second, I can speak for your question. I spoke with the owner of the biggest company in my area and asked him if he had anything he didn't want and also asked him for any advice he could give me. The best approach is to let them know you want to keep prices fair and are curious what they charge. If they have any brains at all they will be more than happy to tell you their hourly rates etc. They realize there is more than enough work to go around. I picked up several lawns from this guy, who is now a great asset and friend. I no longer do most of the lawns he gave me, but it was good for the time. Like it was said above, you will get the more difficult lawns. Money is money though, you'll gain better lawns with time. GO FOR IT.

Pitbullawns
03-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Thank you. I might give this a try. Was also thinking of going to a few real estate agents in the area.

I am in the Albany area.

CGlisson
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Thank you. I might give this a try. Was also thinking of going to a few real estate agents in the area.

I am in the Albany area.

I've gone to real estate agents as well. If you don't have a full schedule it can work out nicely. Typically they don't give you crap about your price being too high either...mainly because it's not their money their spending! You will get a lot of VERY overgrown lawns. Make sure you use your trimmer on the entire property first. It will be quicker in the long run and will save you from hitting unseen objects in the lawn.

You are on the right track!