PDA

View Full Version : steps to take to fix grass

rmarkam
03-17-2002, 09:19 PM
I would like to know what order do I use to fix my lawn . I need to dethatch ,aerate .overseed ,and fertilize .Also I would like to know if the scotts line of products is any good .:pActually I am just trying to get my lawn to green up . To my knowledge it has never been dethatched ,aerated, or fertilized. The type of grass that I have is bermuda .

KirbysLawn
03-17-2002, 09:29 PM
VEry broad question. In order to fix it something must be wrong, what's wrong with the lawn? Is it from neglect or disease? The best way to get good information is to describe what is wrong, what lead to it's demise, tell what kind of grass it is, and provide photos if possible.

HOWARD JONES
03-18-2002, 02:59 PM
I agree you need to study the problem first - possibly discuss the grass and soil with a local county extension office. Bermuda grass, under good conditions, will spread to cover any damaged areas - so is usually not overseeded. Also, I don't think it is usually dethatched - although if it is a dense cover, some homeowners like to scalp and catch the "thatch" once in the spring.

vegomatic40
03-31-2002, 01:55 PM
Bermuda grass in Nashville is a "two egded sword." First of all it is very easy to grow. The only problem is..It is very easy to grow.
If your lawn is in full sun for most of the day the turf can be aggressive and invasive to shrub/flower beds and tree rings. I've seen the stuff grow up into the inside of buildings with small cracks near the walls! Don't worry about a soil test or any of that stuff. I've seen hundreds of soil tests in this area and about 5 of them actually needed anything. Our soil is fine with a ph of between 6.0-6.5 as average. If the lawn is thin, you can go to Lesco (ask for Howard) and get the best unhulled bermuda seed you can get and apply at only 2-3 lbs/1000 sq ft. While the germination rates are usually fairly low. it should be more than enough to establish your lawn. Do this in mid-May to late June as it will need the hot, humid weather to germinate and develop properly and keep it moist for a minimum of 2-3 wks. The other side of the coin is you will not be able to get the benefit of putting down a pre-emergent crabgrass control right now as you will likely have to aerate prior to seeding and this will certainly break up the pre-emergent barrier and lead to all kinds of nasty weeds and, any existing pre-m will likely inhibit germination/developement of your seed.
The simplest way to establish is to simply begin your lawn on a lawn program (through a professional like me) or another service. Unlike the "Big Guys" (see big goofy trucks) I have a program specifically designed for warm season turf and can have you up and going pretty quickly. Or, go to Home Depot/Lowes and talk with the guy that sells 2x4's and Barbecue grills for some "solid advice." E-mail me for phone number or more tips.
Remember, Common Bermuda is not just a turf type...it's a lifestyle choice.