PDA

View Full Version : Who's tired of doing freebies??????

johnnybravo8802
03-19-2009, 10:35 AM
I just want to get opinions. I do this huge Solo distribution warehouse where I have a 12 month contract on the sod at one end of the building and they call me when the BIG mowing needs to be done. The contract only includes the one side of the building. The maintenence man emailed me and was complaining about the vegetation in the pea gravel at the other end of the building that I always weedeat with the big mowing. He made a comment about that getting the same attention as the pea gravel at the other end where the contract is. That wasn't in the contract. Now, I've spent years and years doing freebies but it gets a little old after about 20 years. It's not like they throw in a Christmas bonus or I even get a thank you for it. They have this attitude,"Get out there yardboy and just do what you're told!!" It get's old. After you do a freebie here and one there, it adds up and you have nothing to show for it when the smoke clears. Now, I could say, I do it to keep my job but I don't think that's true. Of course, there are the hardballs out there who say, "I charge for everything!" I don't believe that either. I hate how people just expect it. I feel like saying, "Would you work a couple of hours at your job for free?"-they wouldn't! I want to ask Solo to give me a bag of free Solo products in return for the weedeating and we'll be even-Ha Ha:sleeping:My moto has always been that people will literally let you work all day long long for free if you'll do it-there seems to be no moral ethics and appreciation in this world. Any opinions.:confused::confused:

topsites
03-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Ahhh there is a trick and that is from time to time when I get righteously pissed OFF about being treated like
the lawn boy is to get up in their face and say "Hell NO!" and dare them to talk back some more because
I'm on a roll, and then I feel better but don't do it a lot or you'll lose all your customers LOL!

There's the non-verbal solution, which is to just charge for it from time to time,
although that can come across as a slap in the face, too, so maybe charge dearly just once.
Bet they'll appreciate that free stuff then ahaha.

Then after it's all said and done, and after you lose more than a few customers you may also feel kind of stupid, but such is life.

Or...
And this might work for you...
Is just enjoy the thought.

Proc's Lawncare
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Send them an email back asking if they would like you to work out an estimate for that area to be maintained and inform them since it's NOT in the contract. Maybe this is a silent way of letting them know they need to back off a bit and you don't work for free. Your right though... people will walk over you if you let them, happens in every industry.

larryinalabama
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Im a full time auto mechanic, talk about doing stuff for nothing DRIVES ME CRAZY

I dont do 1/50th of free stuff on my lawn accounts as I do working in the shop.

OrangeToys
03-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't do anything free if I can help it. unless its something small like limb in the yard or something, pulling the trash can back to the house, newspaper, etc....

Pietro
03-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Just spray it and charge em. The maintenance man gave you the go ahead as far as im concerned.

Green Machine Mowing
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
to bad they cant get their hands on some good spray equipment and kill the weeds in the gravel :hammerhead:

ExtExc
03-19-2009, 12:04 PM
mow it for free for 5-6 times, or spray it dead once... hmmmm.

johnnybravo8802
03-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. It is still too early for Round-up to be really effective this time a year-it needs to be consistently above 70 degrees;that's why I haven't sprayed yet. I have always sprayed a lot in the past but as expensive as spray is getting, I'm starting to think it's more cost affective to just weed eat.