PDA

View Full Version : Do i need trailer brakes for pace 12' by 6'

Turfcutters Plus
03-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Do i need electric trailer brakes on a pace 6 by 12' enclosed trailer?Sometime s i put a 52''Z,36''hydro walk behind,and a snapper 21''mower in it.Total mower weight is 1600 pounds.I added 150 pounds plywood in side.It's rated 2000 pounds cargo weight allowed.I pull it with a full size 1500 GMC Z-71 4 wheel.Last year it stopped fine minus the 36 walk behind.This year i need to carry all on some days.Do i really need electric brakes or not.Any help is appreciated!:confused:

OrangeToys
03-19-2009, 10:55 AM
My opinion.....I would think that it would just be an extra safety precaution, but if the trailer didn't come with breaks I wouldn't worry about it. If it has the breaks on the trailer then just buy a controler and use them, if you don't you wasted money getting them.

Horsepower Lawns
03-19-2009, 04:07 PM
By law, you don't need brakes.

I have brakes on my 5 X 13 open trailer. It saves on the truck brakes & can save you or someone else WHEN someone pulls out in front of you.

KGR landscapeing
03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Shoot id replace my axle befor id put brakes on it. All i am saying is that i carry around that weight all winter on my truck. Day in and day out it will eat up the pads on the truck. chevy 1500 are small in the 1/2ton class

Petr51488
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes, get brakes. You'll add stuff into your trailer as time goes along. My 6x12 has brakes and couldn't imagine without it. You'll warp your truck rotors and burn out your pads quicker then you can say electric brakes lol Get them.

Mimowerman
03-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Does the trailer already have brakes installed?? If so a $ 50 brake controller is not a big deal . If it does not have brakes( it is not required for that size trailer) It'll run you a pretty penny to convert it over... more than likely not worth it . If this was a 8x20 with 3 z's it would be a diffrent story.... .

Turfcutters Plus
03-20-2009, 02:48 PM
My opinion.....I would think that it would just be an extra safety precaution, but if the trailer didn't come with breaks I wouldn't worry about it. If it has the breaks on the trailer then just buy a controler and use them, if you don't you wasted money getting them.

Thanks,that sounds like great advice.......:usflag:

Turfcutters Plus
03-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes, get brakes. You'll add stuff into your trailer as time goes along. My 6x12 has brakes and couldn't imagine without it. You'll warp your truck rotors and burn out your pads quicker then you can say electric brakes lol Get them.

I used to run a trailer with surge brakes.I'm sure it saved truck brakes.I'll have to check,i believe it has them according to manual.Thank-you!:hammerhead:

Turfcutters Plus
03-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Shoot id replace my axle befor id put brakes on it. All i am saying is that i carry around that weight all winter on my truck. Day in and day out it will eat up the pads on the truck. chevy 1500 are small in the 1/2ton class

I'm really gonna miss my old 3500#axles i used to have.Both on my old tandem axles were bent on trade in.I traded for new retco 5 by 8'trailor for light weight days.I'm really enjoying the different set up after 20 years of this.I was time for a change.I had to put 3/4 in pace.frame is sort on cheap,put wood along bottom and in middle,and front.:dizzy: