PDA

View Full Version : anyone using the new(er) Hunter adjustable arcs?

irrig8r
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Sprays/proadjustnozzlesintro.html

How are they performing?

Kiril
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Sprays/proadjustnozzlesintro.html

How are they performing?

I have some of those. They a comparable to the RB version, but I have not run them side by side either.

Without A Drought
03-19-2009, 12:40 PM
we use them. i like them a little better than the RB. Seems a more consistent at the sides of the spray.

Mike Leary
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
we use them. i like them a little better than the RB. Seems a more consistent at the sides of the spray.

By that do you mean less "spitting" out the sides?

hoskm01
03-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Wes till stick with the RB VAN's.

DanaMac
03-19-2009, 03:41 PM

Hate 'em. Clog easily, spray pattern gets distorted. I only use fixed spray patterns unless absolutely necessary.

hoskm01
03-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Hate 'em. Clog easily, spray pattern gets distorted. I only use fixed spray patterns unless absolutely necessary.
We prob put in 5 a year, only when ab solutely necessary. Would pick RB over Hunter, at least.

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
We prob put in 5 a year, only when ab solutely necessary. Would pick RB over Hunter, at least.

Thats my thinking. I use so few that its easier and much cheaper to just stock vans. With the exception od sst , est and cst,s I probably install 30 spray heads all yr.

irritation
03-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Have you ever had one of those customers that want one spray head adjusted perfectly and the only way is with the screw setting?
You know the slightest wind, temp, humidity change will alter the spray next time they use it? :hammerhead:

Tom Tom
03-19-2009, 05:12 PM
why -o-why did they deviate from the standard color code that Toro and Rainbird use?

Tom Tom
03-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Have you ever had one of those customers that want one spray head adjusted perfectly and the only way is with the screw setting?
You know the slightest wind, temp, humidity change will alter the spray next time they use it? :hammerhead:

because one drop gets on the sidewalk/fence/whatever?, never :laugh:

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
1/2 the time they are retired and live in a condo.

irritation
03-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I like it when they call on a Monday saying their heads are way out of adjustment. There's water all over the drive and street.:rolleyes:
You know they watered manually during the weekend and it was breezy at the time.
Show up on a calm day and go through the system with them... all is good but sorry I must bill you.:)

mowerman111
03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
We use them all the time with no real issues, except don't use them as a full circle they will close up all the way by themselves.

Wet_Boots
03-19-2009, 08:28 PM
We use them all the time with no real issues, except don't use them as a full circle they will close up all the way by themselves.Now there's a useful feature.

unit28
03-19-2009, 08:30 PM

x-2 never had luck with either Irritrol or Hunter Van's

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Gregg.. Just curious on what you've decided the answer to you inquiry is after reading all the above posts?

I think a-i misread Hosk's post the exact opposite of what he was trying to say. Hosk only uses 5 vans per year is the way I read it. When I resort to VANs it puts me in a bad mood I don't care whose brand it is.

AI Inc
03-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Gregg.. Just curious on what you've decided the answer to you inquiry is after reading all the above posts?

I think a-i misread Hosk's post the exact opposite of what he was trying to say. Hosk only uses 5 vans per year is the way I read it. When I resort to VANs it puts me in a bad mood I don't care whose brand it is.

I was kinda wondering about that as I was typing it.

HokieAg07
03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
I like the RB VANs much better than the other options as well...

AI Inc
03-20-2009, 07:29 AM
When Hunter nozzles first came out, the filters ( screens) didnt fit either with an RB nozzle or an RB head ( cant quite remember) So to me it seemed like an inventory PITA. Never took a second look at anything but RB after that.

DanaMac
03-20-2009, 08:43 AM
When Hunter nozzles first came out, the filters ( screens) didnt fit either with an RB nozzle or an RB head ( cant quite remember) So to me it seemed like an inventory PITA. Never took a second look at anything but RB after that.

Yeah - couldn't do an RB nozzle with a Hunter screen. I have a bunch of older non-used Hunter nozzles for sale cheap. maybe I'll post them up later if I can get a count and photo.

Kiril
03-20-2009, 09:02 AM

Yup, I came to the same conclusion, not worth stocking the extra stuff. What is next .... different thread on the stem? :rolleyes:

Still have some Hunter nozzles floating around that I will use for quick repairs, at least until they are gone.

WalkGood
03-20-2009, 11:09 AM
We use them all the time with no real issues, except don't use them as a full circle they will close up all the way by themselves.

They are getting some help to close up! Usually a lawnmower does it.

Read here, scroll down to my posts and pictures...http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=201379&highlight=Hunter

:)

irrig8r
03-20-2009, 01:12 PM
My biggest issues with RB VANs are:

1. weak edges to the patterns

2. not pathced precip with other heads of the same radii

3. stray streams spitting water in odd directionswhen less than a 180 pattern

4. colored plastic on top not holding up to UV and cracking

Which of these issues has the Hunter product solved?

Biggest issue with the old Hunter adjustables was low tolerance for dirt/ sand particle lodging in the "teeth"...most likely from outside after retracting (not coming up through the filter.)

Second issue was UV degradation, but that was only on fixed risers where the colored plastic was exposed.

txgrassguy
03-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Heck, that's all I use is Hunter VAN nozzles on my spray heads.
Install maybe 500 per year.
The newer ones with the serrated edge collar stay in adjustment better, good spray pattern, don't clog easily which is real important with the crappy lake water most systems draw out of, and inventory control is a breeze.

unit28
03-20-2009, 08:29 PM
My biggest issues with RB VANs are:

1. weak edges to the patterns

2. not pathced precip with other heads of the same radii

3. stray streams spitting water in odd directionswhen less than a 180 pattern

4. colored plastic on top not holding up to UV and cracking

Which of these issues has the Hunter product solved?

Biggest issue with the old Hunter adjustables was low tolerance for dirt/ sand particle lodging in the "teeth"...most likely from outside after retracting (not coming up through the filter.)

Second issue was UV degradation, but that was only on fixed risers where the colored plastic was exposed.

Not to be "Mr. Smart Guy", but I did my time at A&M studid with Dr. Phelps on auditing.
Simple stuff my friend. I can tell you that running around checking heads with a Pitot Tube {gauge} and catch cans that matched percipitation is easy to calc'. I have an honest 15 installs {in TX}with RB vans and never, ever ran into mismatched percipitation using them. Even on various grades.

All I can say is run what ya brung...if it works, great.

mitchgo
03-21-2009, 03:56 AM
I rarely use vans.
We all know over time the spray has huge streaks And sometimes cleaning the nozzle doesn't do it.

AI Inc
03-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Even thou all I use is Vans , if ya realy want to see em run , crank 1 wide open and watch it get ugly.

Kiril
03-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Even thou all I use is Vans , if ya realy want to see em run , crank 1 wide open and watch it get ugly.

I agree. There is no matched precipitation with vans across the arc ... plus there is a rather large mismatch with fixed pattern MPR nozzles .... unless one can expect the nozzles to perform better than what they are spec'd at in the field. :nono:

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Not to be "Mr. Smart Guy", but I did my time at A&M studid with Dr. Phelps on auditing.
Simple stuff my friend. I can tell you that running around checking heads with a Pitot Tube {gauge} and catch cans that matched percipitation is easy to calc'. I have an honest 15 installs {in TX}with RB vans and never, ever ran into mismatched percipitation using them. Even on various grades.

Are you an Aggie?

Wet_Boots
03-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Not to be "Mr. Smart Guy", but I did my time at A&M studid with Dr. Phelps on auditing."As always, Mister Phelps, should you or any of your VAN force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This nozzle will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck."

AI Inc
03-21-2009, 09:03 AM
I knew Michael phelps knows water , didnt realize he was a Dr.

unit28
03-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Are you an Aggie?

no, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.
I took a course in auditing through the University where I became certified.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/poacherkiller/Texas.jpg

LMAO

irrig8r
03-21-2009, 10:16 AM

I don't think you are understanding what I said, or maybe I didn't make myself clear... maybe my typos :-)

What I'm talking about is matched in relation to fixed heads of the same radii. Look at the RB charts.

In other words, if you just want to use them for part of a line where they fit the curvy walkway, the less than 90 deg. corner, or because you don't stock the TT or TQ nozzles.

They don't match up. More GPM with VANs.

If you are only using VANs then it may not be an issue.

Meanwhile, the new Hunters are supposed to match.

unit28
03-21-2009, 11:10 PM
ok, if it works for you, then mucho gracias para particianti.

RB's
Van's are matched to MPR's {stationary}nozzle to nozzle....check
and someone said something about color coding?...done
you said something about TQ's and odd shaped coverage?...suave
Here's the Van's folks step right up and drink the cool aid...I guess.:confused:

This is from RB's site....It's a day old so something may have changed.
Ideal for watering odd-shaped areas.
Blue filter screen (.02" x .02") (shipped with nozzles) maintains precise radius adjustment and prevents clogging.
12, 15, and 18-VAN have matched precipitation rates with Rain Bird MPR nozzles.
NEW! Color-coded on top to enhance your productivity.
Models:

4-VAN - Yellow
6-VAN - Orange
8-VAN - Green
10-VAN - Blue
12-VAN - Brown
15-VAN - Black
18-VAN- Tan

Throw a tic tac on that. check the performance charts, it's all good.:)

DanaMac
03-21-2009, 11:23 PM
I think what one poster was saying is that you do not get MPR when you mix and match VANs and fixed nozzles. A 15' VAN set at a half circle puts out more water than a fixed 15H nozzle. Which will screw up coverage and MPR. No matter if their site says they are the same, they are not.

Kiril
03-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Throw a tic tac on that. check the performance charts, it's all good.:)

OK .... checking 10 foot VAN and MPR at 30 PSI (i.e. using a PRS)

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/sprays/chart_10VAN.htm

Nope, not matched precip rate across all the arcs.

10F 2.5 in/hr (square) 2.89 in/hr (tri)
10H 2.8 in/hr (square) 3.23 in/hr (tri)
10Q 2.9 in/hr (square) 3.35 in/hr (tri)

Checking comparable MPR

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/sprays/chart_10MPR.htm

Yup, all acrs are matched precip rate, and are NOT the same as the comparable VAN, not even close.

10F 1.52 in/hr (square) 1.75 in/hr (tri)
10H 1.52 in/hr (square) 1.75 in/hr (tri)
10Q 1.52 in/hr (square) 1.75 in/hr (tri)

In fact, as soon as you go below 12 VAN (4, 6, 8, 10), the precipitation rates across the arcs get progressively worse as the nozzle pattern radius decreases (4 being the worse).

12 VAN and above the rates are matched across the arcs and with the MPR .... so I guess that makes you almost half right per published specs.

Don't know about other people on this board, but once I go above 12' I'm usually looking at using rotators.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-22-2009, 09:13 AM
no, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.
I took a course in auditing through the University where I became certified.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/poacherkiller/Texas.jpg

LMAO

Just curious. I like to know who my fellow Aggies are. So far it seems to be me and John W Jr among the regulars. I just took the auditing course myself. A Prof. named Guy Phipps was the instructor.

unit28
03-22-2009, 09:18 AM
I think what one poster was saying is that you do not get MPR when you mix and match VANs and fixed nozzles. A 15' VAN set at a half circle puts out more water than a fixed 15H nozzle. Which will screw up coverage and MPR. No matter if their site says they are the same, they are not.

I know what he say, he know looky chart, or usey catchy cans.
I like to use mason jars with funnels, or grab the neighbors tuna cans off their porch....yum
Perciptation is not hard to calc' folks...go read a book on it...please:)

unit28
03-22-2009, 09:42 AM
OK .... checking 10 foot VAN and MPR at 30 PSI (i.e. using a PRS)

12 VAN and above the rates are matched across the arcs and with the MPR .... so I guess that makes you almost half right per published specs.

Don't know about other people on this board, but once I go above 12' I'm usually looking at using rotators.

you use what you know to make things work ...for you.
As far as being half right/wrong no way. I recommend keeping beds watered seperatly than lawn.
less than 12's and I'm using all 8's which for me goes to beds.
Keep all your side yards watered seperatly too. Throw 8's with 15's, you'll get some very differentiating precips quick.
How could you not?
And as for rotors less than 18' hardly worth it for me. 18 and up gets a rotor for me...Just me though.

---------------
you could also get mismatched precips of other non Van's too.

Matched precipitation rates within 8 FLT nozzles family – higher flow than standard 8 Series MPR nozzles. 8 FLT nozzles should not be mixed with standard 5, 8, 10, 12, & 15 Series MPR nozzles

unit28
03-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I know what he say, he know looky chart, or usey catchy cans.
I like to use mason jars with funnels, or grab the neighbors tuna cans off their porch....yum
Perciptation is not hard to calc' folks...go read a book on it...please:)

Or maybe I need some comprehension classes to boot...or just a boot

unit28
03-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Just curious. I like to know who my fellow Aggies are. So far it seems to be me and John W Jr among the regulars. I just took the auditing course myself. A Prof. named Guy Phipps was the instructor.

Guy , yes that's him! Hard nosed, doesn't take to many questions, and you better keep up or else. I took the course 10 years ago.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Three posts in a row. Go sit in the corner and talk to your hand.

Sorry four! But you are forgiven because you referred to yours truly.

Kiril
03-22-2009, 10:02 AM
As far as being half right/wrong no way.

The specs are what they are. According to them and your statement that VANS have matched precip rates, that means you are right about 43% of the time.

I recommend keeping beds watered seperatly than lawn.

Who doesn't? I recommend you take it one step further and only use sprays/rotors for lawns.

Throw 8's with 15's, you'll get some very differentiating precips quick.

Obviously .... but guess what happens all the time? If I had a nickel for every time I have seen a spray with a 50% or more radius reduction ..... :hammerhead:

And as for rotors less than 18' hardly worth it for me. 18 and up gets a rotor for me...Just me though.

I said rotators, which will give you better overall performance down to 12' radius than a spray any day of the week.

unit28
03-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Three posts in a row. Go sit in the corner and talk to your hand.

Sorry four! But you are forgiven because you referred to yours truly.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Thank you sir, may I have another?

By all means.....

Guy was a little hard nosed. I thought he did a good job

unit28
03-22-2009, 10:35 AM
By all means.....

Guy was a little hard nosed. I thought he did a good job

without a doubt for me it was a fantastic course.
Unfortunatly though, it was March Madness when I was there.
couldn't go out and enjoy the sceanery, getting through the River Walk was impassable. But as usual I just barged my way around.

irrig8r
03-22-2009, 02:04 PM

Exactamundo.

mowerman111
03-22-2009, 11:21 PM
They are getting some help to close up! Usually a lawnmower does it.

:)

Afraid not!!! I have checked them after mowing came back next morning nozzle was fully close, no help from mower or anything else. They will close by them selves.

Mike Leary
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Afraid not!!! I have checked them after mowing came back next morning nozzle was fully close, no help from mower or anything else. They will close by them selves.

How was your cruise out to the coast?

mowerman111
03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
How was your cruise out to the coast?

It was good, going to cruise the beach and just check out the sites today

Mike Leary
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
It was good, going to cruise the beach and just check out the sites today

That's a nice town, went to IA there one year. You'll love the trip up the coast.