PDA

View Full Version : Take care of matted down grass?

All Seasons Landscaping
03-19-2009, 03:45 PM
So I need to bid some condos for spring cleanup. I walked it, and a lot of the grass is matted down from the winter. However, there really isn't any thatch under it. So, what would be the best way to handle it?

Do I need a dethatcher, or just use high lifts and a bagger on my mower, or just let it be? Thanks!

GracesLandscaping
03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
If it is like the grass here and just has dead looking grass matted down to the ground I see this quite a bit this time of year. The easiest way to fix it (without removing and re-seeding and all that yada) for me is just to rake (or thatch-rake) it up off the ground, mow it and it should come back around for the most part

Joel B.
03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I put a de-thatcher and bagger on my tractor and go over the lawn. Fluffs up the grass and gets all the dead grass out and bagged.

CrystalCreek
03-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Backpack blower. I use my Redmax 8001 and fluff it up. The bigger the blower, the quicker it goes. The blower also lifts out any loose thatch that may be present, but not seen by the eyes.

Runner
03-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Get a JRCO rake. One of the best investments you can make.

fiveoboy01
03-20-2009, 01:47 AM
Get a JRCO rake. One of the best investments you can make.

+1. I have one and it gets the grass combed up good. Customers love it. It's not an expensive piece of equipment. A few 1/4 acre lots and it just paid for itself.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of my dethatching customers from last year are having me dethatch again. Plus many more:)

It's a cash cow, just like aeration.