PDA

View Full Version : Rain Bird Contractor Trip- Tucson, AZ

hoskm01
03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Headed to Tucson today for the Contractor Fly-In. Arrived at the airport this morning at 0700. Flight out is at 830. 50 minutes in line and they tell us that weve missed the cut off by 6 minutes- cant get our bags on to the plane, we cant get on the plane. We're pissed.

Tried to get on an open flight by United that was heading to Tucson. Couple minutes in line, a few with the agent, and it looks like we are on our way. Finalized the tickets and were literally turning to walk away..."Oh, Sir? Looks like you just missed the cutoff to get your stuff onto the plane." Boolschitt biatch, you best not be talkin to us!

So two hard azzes in, we head back to Frontier to plead our case. Its amazing what happens when a competent person is willing to and does help you. She tells us that either one COULD have put us on the plane, and that she put someone through with less than 30 minutes to spare this morning. Severe complaints will be made regarding the other two.

So here we sit, in a bar, in the airport, hoping that our standby tickets come through tonight for the 6oclocker. I suppose the pool will be that much more enjoyable if we ever make it!

Wet_Boots
03-19-2009, 04:28 PM
So it's really true you need two hours to have some certainty of boarding the plane? Boy, I miss the good old days.

hoskm01
03-19-2009, 04:32 PM
So it's really true you need two hours to have some certainty of boarding the plane? Boy, I miss the good old days.
My biggest beef is that she COULD have put us on the plane but was being a super-**** and didnt.

DanaMac
03-19-2009, 04:39 PM

All depends on the airport. Colorado Springs Airport is not like Denver International Airport. Security lines are not as long, check in not as long, short terminal, not underground train to deal with, etc.

Sorry to hear Matt. Hope you make it.

Wet_Boots
03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I used to fly from some remote airports, with regard to hauling back some serious quantities of bottled cargo, and loved the speed you can achieve in a one-jetway airport.

irritation
03-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I used to fly from some remote airports, with regard to hauling back some serious quantities of bottled cargo, and loved the speed you can achieve in a one-jetway airport.

So that's why you're working in the plate factory.

DanaMac
03-19-2009, 05:08 PM

I know when I go back to Massachusetts I fly into Bradley in Hartford instead of Logan in Boston. Much easier.

Stuttering Stan
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Don't go copper on them and pull out the billy club. Be sure to send pics of the event, IF you ever get there.

hoskm01
03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Just went and dropped our bags within the 4 hour window allowed. #'s 2 and 3 on standby. Outlook is decent, boredom is rampant, self is grumpy.

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I know when I go back to Massachusetts I fly into Bradley in Hartford instead of Logan in Boston. Much easier.

I try to fly out of Manchester . Parking at logan runs about $37 a day.

DanaMac
03-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I try to fly out of Manchester . Parking at logan runs about $37 a day.

My pops has flown out of Manchester.

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Easy airport, get there 45 min before flight . Walk in and get on the plane.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Have ya'll been privileged to my long rant about this country's stupidity in adopting the airport hub system as our method of long range travel?

AI Inc
03-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Ah , the old spoke and wheel. Ya dont like leaving tx and flying to LA before actualy heading to fla?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Ah , the old spoke and wheel. Ya dont like leaving tx and flying to LA before actualy heading to fla?

I flat will not fly anymore unless it is an emergency. I'll drive three days to avoid flying if I can get enough time away from home.

The worse part of our transportation set up is that it punishes the poor. Airports are a welfare program for the rich. I've heard that 80% of a plane's pollution occurs at takeoff and landing. They dump huge amounts of fuel when landing. My big gripe is that SW airlines lobbied like mad our TX Legis. to keep bullet trains from being built between our major cities. I could catch the bus..go to the terminal... catch a train... get deposited in downtown houston. BUT NOOOOOOOO. CHKSHT politicians.

AI Inc
03-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Last time I flew was to Ft laud for a pats , phins football game. They cancelled our fri pm flight. Put us on a sat noon flight that went to cleavland first.
Havnt stepped on a plane since. Im like you. I would much rather drive.

DanaMac
03-20-2009, 09:41 AM
I like flying. A few hiccups here and there but for the most part I prefer it for long trips. Can't stand the 17 hour drive to NW Montana. One reason I like flying, I am asleep before we take off, and don't usually wake until we land. I sleep through the whole flight, or most of it.

But yes I also don't like flying to weird layover cities in the opposite direction of my destination.

Tom Tom
03-20-2009, 10:04 AM
One reason I like flying, I am asleep before we take off, and don't usually wake until we land. I sleep through the whole flight, or most of it.

I just can't sleep on a flight.

Sorta wish I could be put under for a few hours. Maybe have a dental
cleaning during the flight. Kinda like killing two birds with one stone sorta thing.

Wet_Boots
03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
I used to get free flights for avoiding non-stops, when they had 'segment promotions' ~ One good thing about the hub-and-spoke system is that it brings service to cities that will never have non-stops.

DanaMac
03-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Come on Matt - waiting for an update. How'd it go? Any free shwag? Any inside info? Was Adam too drunk to function?

Tom Tom
03-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Come on Matt - waiting for an update. How'd it go? Any free shwag? Any inside info? Was Adam too drunk to function?

yeah come on Matt! Maybe he parachute out over Crested Butte..........

Mike Leary
03-23-2009, 12:46 PM
He's still standing on the corner waiting for ROTAR.