PDA

View Full Version : Best 21" mower

Tony1045
03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Looking for some feed-back on 21" mowers...what brand, engine, options ect...In the past I have purchased somewhat cheap or used ones that I considered "disposable" and was happy to get 1-2 years out of....Thinking about making a small investment in a good "commercial" 21" and was looking for some feedback and opinions...NOT interested in the 26" Exmark $$$$. -Thanks

Proc's Lawncare
03-19-2009, 04:28 PM
For what little work we do with a 21" we love the snapper resi mower... I know millions of people will argue wih me on this one, but... I gotta say, Snapper has always been pretty decent and cheap enough too! We've had ours for about 5 years and makes an awesome ditch mower! Hope this helps...

Proc

joed
03-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Toro/Exmark 21". Great mulcher, good bagger, fast and productive mower. The old 2 stroke suzuki engine was the best but it's no longer available so getting either the honda or kawasaki Kai engine would be fine.

Ben's Landscape
03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Check out these: http://www.hovermower.com/eastmancommercial.htm

I would say get nothing that doesn't have a honda or kawasaki engine. I looked at these mowers I liked the way they rolled and the construction of them. The only thing that i didn't like is the price of $850 (about). But i got a deal on a commercial Lawnboy that i couldn't pass up so i didn't get the eastman.

mile high turf tamers
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I run both Honda's and Snapper hi-vacs. I prefer the Snapper faster cut speed, better suction when bagging and I feel the drive systems on the Snapper is a simple but bullet proof design.

STIHL GUY
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I love the Toros and Hondas i have owned and used in the past

kaferhaus
03-19-2009, 07:17 PM
We had 4 honda commercials. the transmission went out in three of them. We now use the "crapsman" with the honda engine. They put them on sale at the end of every year cheaper than you can buy the engine for. The transimissions last (we only buy the front wheel drive).

The weakness of this mower is the height adjusters but they're cheapl. The crap mowers cut, mulch and bag every bit as well as the Honda's did and we can buy 4 of them and have change left over for what one Honda costs.

The oldest one is 4 years old and other than replacing the height adjusters and drive wheels we've done nothing to it other than routine maintenance.

Keep the underside of the deck clean (new ones have the washout port) and they're as good as you need.

dishboy
03-19-2009, 10:26 PM
We had 4 honda commercials. the transmission went out in three of them. We now use the "crapsman" with the honda engine. They put them on sale at the end of every year cheaper than you can buy the engine for. The transimissions last (we only buy the front wheel drive).

The weakness of this mower is the height adjusters but they're cheapl. The crap mowers cut, mulch and bag every bit as well as the Honda's did and we can buy 4 of them and have change left over for what one Honda costs.

The oldest one is 4 years old and other than replacing the height adjusters and drive wheels we've done nothing to it other than routine maintenance.

Keep the underside of the deck clean (new ones have the washout port) and they're as good as you need.

Did you loose the trannys on the new style or old style Honda Commercial?

kaferhaus
03-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Did you loose the trannys on the new style or old style Honda Commercial?

Good question, when did they start making the "new style" transmission??????

dishboy
03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Good question, when did they start making the "new style" transmission??????

The new style Honda commercial has a domed deck. Been out about three or four years now.

kaferhaus
03-19-2009, 11:05 PM
The new style Honda commercial has a domed deck. Been out about three or four years now.

Yeah but is the transmission different? Ours were older than that, but the salesman told me they still have transmission issues. (I buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment from this guy and their a multi-brand dealer)

Even if they solved those issues, the crapsman's are working fine.... a few cheesy parts but they hold up and their inexpensive.

dishboy
03-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah but is the transmission different? Ours were older than that, but the salesman told me they still have transmission issues. (I buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment from this guy and their a multi-brand dealer)

Even if they solved those issues, the crapsman's are working fine.... a few cheesy parts but they hold up and their inexpensive.

The old Trannys have held up great for me. I have over 10 years on two of them. I have heard reports some have had problems with the new one. I have one new one with a year on it with no problems. Since I don't run employees I seem to have less problems than others with employees.

rjh4758
03-20-2009, 12:15 AM
I just bought an Eastman 21K today. Found it on Ebay at a dealer just outside of Waco TX. They are selling them for $500 new. Which is almost half price of what everyone else is getting for them and way under half of the MSRP of $1299. They cut me a little better deal because I picked up in store and I also bought extra blades. Seemed like a good outfit to deal with. 7 hour round trip but it beat shipping and product site unseen.

It was raining to day so I drove down and picked one up. I now wish I would have bought 2. Those Eastman's have got to be about the heaviest built mower out there.

ambersLawnmowing
03-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Honda has tranny problems, Toro on the cast decks have the height adjusters go bad, and i hate the personal pace models. Snapper or John Deere. John Deere came up with something to keep up with toro's personal pace. They call it the mow-mentom. It goes as fast as you can walk and it holds up. I love mine, bought it cheap last year. Comes with a 6.75 briggs or 7hp briggs and has the primerless,chokeless carb on it for easy starting. If you want to use it as a push mower, push a lever and you push it as much as you want.

LALawnboy
03-20-2009, 02:24 AM
I'll second the commercial Toro. It's built like a tank, cuts great on the properties I mow and is very dependable.

Fox Lawn & Garden
03-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Check out these: http://www.hovermower.com/eastmancommercial.htm

I would say get nothing that doesn't have a honda or kawasaki engine. I looked at these mowers I liked the way they rolled and the construction of them. The only thing that i didn't like is the price of $850 (about). But i got a deal on a commercial Lawnboy that i couldn't pass up so i didn't get the eastman.

Wow. Cool link.
Clink on the ST 21K link on the web page and you will see a striper mower. It has a metal roller like the old reel mowers had ! Really wild lookin..

OP- I got 2 Toro commercials with the Suz 2 cycle engine for a song. I don't wanna p*** people off by telling how cheap.
I'd suggest you look into a Toro professional model. Someone said they come with Honda or Kaw engines....that one.
It doesn't have the height adjuster problems the one poster mentioned. That's a problem with the semi-commercial model.

ED'S LAWNCARE
03-20-2009, 09:48 AM
When I started in 04 I bought a mower called true-cut with a robin 2 cyl engine on it. I use it very little probably less than 50 hrs since I bought it. It has 5 speeds, rear drive. I have the mulch kit on it and it works nice. I was told they don't make them anymore something to do with emissions? I paid $1200. It will probably be the last pushmower I'll need given the amt I use it.

Bustus
03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
I have been very happy with my Snapper with a Briggs 700 Series DOV engine. In the past 2 years it has been my main mower (I do mostly small residential lots) and the only thing that needed replacing was the cable for the self propel and an elbow bolt.

The machine starts up right away...runs for hours a day and she mulches like nothing else I've seen with the Ninja blades.

For the $$ I spent, I would make the same choice again.

Curb Appeal Lawn Care
03-20-2009, 11:32 AM
For a 21" cut, you really can't beat a Snapper Hi Vac. It has excellent cut quality, grass and leaf pickup, and is simple to work on. They are also relatively cheap.

If all you're doing is small yards, the self propel is fast enough and adequate for size.

dl7265
04-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I just bought an Eastman 21K today. Found it on Ebay at a dealer just outside of Waco TX. They are selling them for $500 new. Which is almost half price of what everyone else is getting for them and way under half of the MSRP of $1299. They cut me a little better deal because I picked up in store and I also bought extra blades. Seemed like a good outfit to deal with. 7 hour round trip but it beat shipping and product site unseen.

It was raining to day so I drove down and picked one up. I now wish I would have bought 2. Those Eastman's have got to be about the heaviest built mower out there.

have a link to this company ?
Thanks

mdlwn1
04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
All you need to worry about is...Does it have wheel bearings?...and how much does it weigh.