PDA

View Full Version : Blade sharpening

Larson Lawn Care
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I've been using a Delta, I usually do a good job with it, but it takes quite a while, and sometimes it sharpens too much, or I miss the angle and ruin the sharp edge. What kind of grinder should I get that I can just put it in and pull it out and it keeps the angle?

R.L. Hale Landscaping LLC
03-19-2009, 06:48 PM
magnamatic is what i use. was a little expensive but does a good job and looks well built

kaferhaus
03-19-2009, 08:33 PM
We use a side grinder (hand held) with a guide bar set to 30*. Takes 3-4 minutes to sharpen a mower blade perfectly and it's cheap.

We have plenty of spare blades and rainy days or slow days or maintenance days every dull blade in the shop gets sharpened.

STIHL GUY
03-19-2009, 09:32 PM
i just use a bench grinder. it takes a little practice to get the angle right but i can do it quick and easy now

WH401
03-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I use an Angle grinder, it makes short work of a dull blade and I'm able to put a nice, sharp, long lasting edge on it.

MikeKle
03-19-2009, 10:11 PM
There is a fairly cheap little tool sold at Lowes called a tool or hobby grinder/ sharpener, I cant remember the exact name, but last time I looked they are $25. They have a small grinding wheel and a adjustable slide. I always think about getting one but never remember once I get there. They look like they would work great for mower blades, and if you could fabricate a "jig" for the blade to sit in while you run it thru the sharpener, it would probably work as good as a real blade sharpener. I am definitely getting one next time Im at lowes because I have the worst luck with keeping the correct angle on the blade, it always ends up being around 45 degree or higher angle! I use a handheld 4" angle grinder with a pencil thin cut-off wheel to sharpen them. It will put a razor sharp edge, but it is impossible to be consistent for the whole blade.

Larson Lawn Care
03-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Has anyone used a bradley or oregon blade sharpener?

pinto n mwr
03-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Has anyone used a bradley or oregon blade sharpener?

have used the oregon, "industry standard" type so to say. Expensive but very nice. Search this site and find something that works for you and your budget.

ALC-GregH
03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
I use a Delta bench grinder. All you have to do is get the table rest on the grinder set at the correct angle. After that, it's the same each time. I can sharpen and balance a blade in just a few minutes using the bench grinder and they come out the same each time.

BurrKing
03-23-2009, 11:29 PM
LLC,

We manufacture a blade sharpener that you have to see to believe. We manufacture them in Warsaw, Missouri. You can see them online at www.youtube.com/burrking. I also have a manufactures representative that would be more that happy to show you our sharpening system.

James

jtkplc
03-24-2009, 12:00 AM
I purchased a Magna Matic last season and I'm so happy I did. When I can do a blade perfectly in a quick amount of time it makes a daunting task a little more pleasurable having the right equipment.

metiernan
03-24-2009, 12:04 AM
I have an oregon blade grinder, I think it cost 3 or $400 but it has been a great investment. I sharpen blades everyday and they are sharper than when they are new. And it only takes a few mintes to sharpen three blades.