PDA

View Full Version : 27 yards of mulch

dewos
03-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I had a customer call and ask for a rough estimate of 27 yards of mulch. I told him I would have to see it to see the landscape of where he wants to put the mulch. He tells me its on a semi flat area with a few shrubs.... How can I estimate that with out seeing it... I could tell him my average but then he will be disapointed if he get something different when I get there.. What would you guys say.

mowerman41
03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
let him know that you need to see the property before you give an accurate quote. He says semi-flat, but his semi-flat and your semi-flat could be totally different....

punt66
03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I had a customer call and ask for a rough estimate of 27 yards of mulch. I told him I would have to see it to see the landscape of where he wants to put the mulch. He tells me its on a semi flat area with a few shrubs.... How can I estimate that with out seeing it... I could tell him my average but then he will be disapointed if he get something different when I get there.. What would you guys say.
I would be:

$70(yd) X 27 = $1890 plus tax.

STIHL GUY
03-19-2009, 07:18 PM
tell him you can not accurately price it without seeing the land and if you cant see it he will probably end up spending more

Carolina Cuts
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
but his semi-flat and your semi-flat could be totally different....

his semi-flat might also be 150 yds from the dump site of the mulch. My average is $60-$65 yard installed, sometimes I have to take into account the 'distance' of walking. (no dumps in driveways, only streets)

jsw2008
03-19-2009, 07:31 PM
That's mighty precise. I want exactly 27 yds. Sounds to me like he got a quote from somebody else and wants to know if they're screwing him.

dewos
03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
That's mighty precise. I want exactly 27 yds. Sounds to me like he got a quote from somebody else and wants to know if they're screwing him.

Thats what it sounds like to me... or had it done before and knows how much it took then.

punt66
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Thats what it sounds like to me... or had it done before and knows how much it took then.

Either way give him the market rate per yard. Thats alot of work.

mattfromNY
03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I've got a semi flat back yard too, its 8' above the driveway, only access is up a goat path between the house and garage, not quite wide enough for a wheelbarrow, you'll need to carry the mulch in 5 gallon buckets, and dont dump on the driveway, you'll need to park at the neighbors and carry it over....
Too many variables for a phone quote.

mattfromNY
03-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Actually, I remember mowing a lawn that was perfectly flat. Only problem, it was at the bottom of a cliff, on a lake, had to carry a 21" mower down (and back up) 72 steps to get to it.

punt66
03-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Actually, I remember mowing a lawn that was perfectly flat. Only problem, it was at the bottom of a cliff, on a lake, had to carry a 21" mower down (and back up) 72 steps to get to it.

I hope that paid well. I would have passed on that one.

Pennings Gardens
03-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Well..., It is a heck of allot easier to dump 27 yards of mulch down a cliff then to dump it up a cliff...:rolleyes::confused: LOL.

Like some told you before, tell him you want to see the site before giving him a actual quote...

dewos
03-19-2009, 10:10 PM
He was persistant on having a price lol some people are.. Also I never dump on driveways anyway. I figure he can wait till I can see it to get A price.. used the excuse that my mulch guy didn't get back to me with the new prices... lol

qualitylawnpro
03-19-2009, 11:15 PM
For the last 3 years ive charged $100 per yard put down!

meicher806
03-19-2009, 11:28 PM
For the last 3 years ive charged $100 per yard put down!

wow!! i would like to get that kind of money for mulch!!
today i sent off 2 contracts for mulch 385 yrds total.. i hope i get it but at the same time thats a lot of mulch i put it at 60 per yard as its all for the same client and we can run our dumps right up th the beds

I wont bid a job unless i see it, besides how is he going to get a contract if you dont give him one after estimating the job.... you need to see it. that simple!

qualitylawnpro
03-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I buy it deliver it put it down . If i dont get paid for what i do im not going to bother . Im not working for nothing! I havent had any problems yet with that price.

yardatwork
03-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Punt66 is pretty spot on with the price. You could give him a range in price...low end price and a high end price. Tell the guy without seeing it the price would range somewhere in between.

ford550
03-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Don't ever give a price over the phone, just like everyone else said. Don't even give him a range. Ask him for his address and do a drive-by or set up an appointment. If he says no, then he was definitely just price shopping you.

IMO, when people do that they are just PRICING you against 10 other estimates they already got! Don't bother wasting your time w/o seeing it.

kootoomootoo
03-20-2009, 09:14 AM
$100yd guy strikes again.

StBalor
03-20-2009, 09:19 AM

I did this before also. After the 3rd time i asked the guy if i could leave a 21" mower down there by the shedor somewhere. He told me no, i told him that i would not be back anymore.

punt66
03-20-2009, 09:26 AM
You guys are making it too difficult. Tell him your price per yard and that the price goes up it there are other issues. It can be done over the phone. If he accepts it then go with a contract. I try to do as much as i can over the phone and it works fine as long as the customers understand the variables explained.

Isobel
03-20-2009, 07:20 PM
definitely sounds like the guy is price shopping. I never price anything without seeing it.

I had a client email me asking for a price on mid-summer weeding. I told her I had no idea since it wasn't mid-summer right now, and I have no way of knowing what sort of weeds they might have in 4 months.

ppl ask strange things