PDA

View Full Version : spanish to english translator

Right Touch
03-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Obviously one of a growing business owners biggest obstacles is communication. I bought a "Learn Spanish" cd but only learned basic stuff. Anyone ever try one of these translators or anything like it?

http://www.nextag.com/electronic-talking-translators-spanish-english/search-html?nxtg=8cab0a240519-A03A3C81FC97C30F

LouisianaLawnboy
03-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Just start talking about money. Spanish people "magically" understand English then. :D

NewHorizon's Land
03-22-2009, 01:27 PM
You have to be careful with the Spanish you choose. Some words in English dont translate directly to Spanish. Also the nationality of the person matters as well. Just like in America we have different dialects.

Keegan
03-22-2009, 06:35 PM
teach them english. after all they are in AMERICA

Fvstringpicker
03-22-2009, 07:52 PM
I thought to become an American citizen you have to know English.

HOOLIE
03-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Just start talking about money. Spanish people "magically" understand English then. :D

Yeah I know...we used to mess with some of the guys at my old job, say stuff like "Man...if Jose only could speak English, we could pay him $3 an hour more. Too bad." Then you'd see Jose's eyes bug out of his head. :laugh::laugh::laugh: A good way to learn which guys were just faking the "Me no speaka English" thing.

NewHorizon's Land
03-23-2009, 09:44 AM
teach them english. after all they are in AMERICA

So when you go to a foreign country you know the language right? Ever go to, or plan to go to Jamica, or Cancun, or some other place for vacation? Guess you better learn the language before you go

LBLC_LCO
03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
So when you go to a foreign country you know the language right? Ever go to, or plan to go to Jamica, or Cancun, or some other place for vacation? Guess you better learn the language before you go

I think if they are here for vacation is one thing, but if we are talking about employees/"citizens", then they need to speak English.

http://www.attitudetees.com/graphics/eth021.jpg

Keegan
03-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Exactly what LBLC just said

LouisianaLawnboy
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I thought to become an American citizen you have to know English.

Most of them aren't citizens.

And no you don't have to know English to become a citizen. You just have to know the pledge.

Fvstringpicker
03-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Most of them aren't citizens.

Nice to see everybody's concerned about operating within the law and verifying the legal status of employees. I know we wouldn't want to be aiding and abetting the utilization of stolen or fake social security numbers (that may cause an American citizen problems down the road).
In this environment of high unemployment where the average unemployed American can't find a job, we've got employers jumping through hoops to learn a new language just to hire illegal aliens. We teach our seniors, who are seeking jobs that their goal must be to demonstrate their interest and qualifications for the position. Its a different flavor than anything I've seen where employers in the U.S. are willing to go the these lengths to demonstrate their interest and qualifications for potential employees.

LBLC_LCO
03-23-2009, 07:50 PM

One other thing...the official language of jamaica is English. :dancing:

chepamab
03-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Nice to see everybody's concerned about operating within the law and verifying the legal status of employees. I know we wouldn't want to be aiding and abetting the utilization of stolen or fake social security numbers (that may cause an American citizen problems down the road).
In this environment of high unemployment where the average unemployed American can't find a job, we've got employers jumping through hoops to learn a new language just to hire illegal aliens. We teach our seniors, who are seeking jobs that their goal must be to demonstrate their interest and qualifications for the position. Its a different flavor than anything I've seen where employers in the U.S. are willing to go the these lengths to demonstrate their interest and qualifications for potential employees.

I understand what you are saying, and it's sad. Just remember not every Latino is illegal. My husband is from Argentina and gets alot of grief from people that assume he's illegal (he's not, by the way). At least he has learned to just laugh it off.

And if it makes any differance, we don't hire illegal, and we know plenty!

Fvstringpicker
03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
I understand what you are saying, and it's sad. Just remember not every Latino is illegal. My husband is from Argentina and gets alot of grief from people that assume he's illegal (he's not, by the way). At least he has learned to just laugh it off.

And if it makes any differance, we don't hire illegal, and we know plenty!

Being Latino doesn't make someone illegal. He gets grief, in my opinion, because business has hired basically with impunity, illegals at low wages here but high wages in their native country; which in turn encouraged other illegals to migrate across the border. Because many Latinos are here illegally, your husband is caught up in being the same nationality as folks who are here illegal and judged on his appearance. Years ago I got dragged out of my blue foreign car while wearing a green sweater, forced on the ground a searched by three armed police because a bank robber was observed leaving the scene in a blue foreign car, wearing a green sweater.

NewHorizon's Land
03-25-2009, 09:36 AM
One other thing...the official language of jamaica is English. :dancing:

Ok then scratch Jamaica.:dizzy:

ECS
03-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Obviously one of a growing business owners biggest obstacles is communication. I bought a "Learn Spanish" cd but only learned basic stuff. Anyone ever try one of these translators or anything like it?

http://www.nextag.com/electronic-talking-translators-spanish-english/search-html?nxtg=8cab0a240519-A03A3C81FC97C30F

You are the boss. It is up to them to speak the language that you use. If you can't communicate with your employees, then find some you can communicate with. As a boss or employer, whey should you or would you choose to give in to them and learn their language when it should be the other way around?

A landscaper here has over 100 hispanics. They are told to learn english. They are also told that if he tells any of them to do something and they do not understand him, they will be looking for work somewhere else. Simple as that.

LawnBrother
03-30-2009, 09:19 AM
If you have a Blackberry there are some eng/span translation applications for it, as well as a few other language learning apps.

joshco84
03-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Just hire people that speak english.

And i dont give a damn if someone speaks my language when i am on vacation. But you can bet your ass if i moved to there country to work the wouldnt go out of their way to speak to me in english.

Posts like this really piss me off. If you cant speak english tough ****.

CALandscapes
03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
If you're still an owner/operator (spending time with the guys), try to learn one word a day. A few years ago, I spoke no Spanish. After a word a day for about a year, I really started to pick it up...

Y ahora hablo espanol.

-Chase

bohiaa
04-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Why in the name of God would you want to speak to them ?

cant you find a taco stand on your own ?

wbw
04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Just hire people that speak english.

But you can bet your ass if i moved to there country to work the wouldnt go out of their way to speak to me in english.

Posts like this really piss me off. If you cant speak english tough ****.

If they needed employees bad enough, they would learn to speak to you.

It is not political, it is simply a case of supply and demand. If you live in an area like Texas, California etc. and yu exclude the spanish speaking worker from your labor pool you will be short of employees. Additionally it is nice to understand what the employees are saying about you. I speak very little spanish but I am slowly learning.

Economy Landscaping
04-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Im not going to get into all the other stuff that is being said in this thread. Bottom line is, software sometimes helps. but the best way to learn is to practice it. Build a relationship with those that you are trying to communicate with.

In time both of you will feel comfortable enough to try to speak each others language. They will learn English, you will learn Spanish and at times you guys will mix it up a bit (Spanglish). Nothing wrong with that. You do what you have to do to get it done.

I knew this group of guys once. (they worked for another company) And the crew leader spoke to them in English, the crew spoke back in Spanish and both parties understood each other fine. It was amazing watching them communicate. I think they were working together for 5 years or more... So I guess they had a bond.

D.