PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Roundup on Bermuda

djfanintn
03-19-2009, 09:58 PM
We took on one heck of chore late last spring. We disc and tilled and leveled five acres and reseeded in Bermuda. It was a new house and the five acres was a corn field years ago. It was far from being level and it was full of weeds.

Have you ever dragged a hose over 5 acres? It about killed me and I was really glad we had a well to draw from. The lawn turned out really nice.

But as fate would have it, the onions have showed up in force along with some clover and just a little crab grass. So I need to spray. I am thinking going ahead and hitting it with Roundup since from I can tell the Bermuda is still dormant. Everything I have read says that you need about 16 ounces per gallon. Does that sound right?

Is there anything else I should add like 2-4-D? I've never used that before some I am clueless.

Oh and we live in the west Tennessee area.

Thanks for your help!

JB1
03-19-2009, 10:10 PM
get a label of whatever you want to use and READ it.

LawnNeedz
03-19-2009, 10:51 PM
DO NOT USE ROUND UP!!! Just because you can not see that grass greening, does not mean that there is not growth. If you spray with round up you will damage, if not kill, the existing turf. Use a 2, 4-d with ester for the onions and clover, and put out dimension for the crabgrass control.

clallen03
03-19-2009, 11:29 PM
You really should read the label on the product you are using becasue 16ozs per gallon of anything sounds like too much. I wouldn't recommend round up because you may be greening under that dormant bermuda.

I have seeded serveral lawn with bermuda and from my experience it takes at least 2 full years before you start seeing a decent stand of turf. This is also after several loads of sand and a good fert program (very expensive).

Oh yeah, you shouldn't be seeing any crabgrass if you are still seeing dormant bermuda.

Im sorry but this entire post just sound a little strange. I hope I could help.

djfanintn
03-20-2009, 01:31 AM
are you saying crab grass doesn't grow when the ground is still cold? because I will swear it does around here and its some of the biggest crab grass I've ever seen in my life.

i've talked to some guys who are grounds keepers at golf courses before and they use roundup before their bermuda starts growing to control weeds and tough grasses.

Valk
03-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong:
Crabgrass is an annual...starting anew from seed each Spring. Your best strategy is a well-timed pre-emergent...and it may need to be reapplied again later - depending on what kind you use.

djfanintn
03-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks for your help!

sorry i hadn't updated my profile because I just joined last night.

thanks again for all the help.

djfanintn
03-20-2009, 12:37 PM
finally found my book that came with the roundup. from what I read on their directions it says for bermuda that is dormant 1 qt per acre is what is called for.

so now we will just wait for a day where there is little wind. the mrs. might get a little upset if her plants were to die off. of course that would mean less weed eating for me to have to do. :clapping:

LawnNeedz
03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
If you apply round up this late you will damage the turf. I am in North Alabama and my bermuda lawn is already greening. Timing is everything when it comes to chemical applications. If you end up using round-up I have a feeling you will be posting another thread in a few weeks asking why the lawn is spotty and has dead spots in it.

Think Green
03-22-2009, 12:40 AM
dj,
IF you will rewind your earlier post and notice that your label stated 1qt. per acre.
43.56 /32oz. =1.4 oz. per 1,000sq.ft.
I am glad you didn't apply it at 16 oz. per gallon as you stated above......WEEEEWWW!
I don't know what kind of applicator you have or intend on applying round up with or what you calibrated the thing with but please don't do it. I am afraid that you will totally kill the Bermuda or severely injure the stuff to the point of more expense in fertilizing it after what ever remaining stems green up. I know that 5 acres is expensive enough to seed let along sod, and fertilizing is even more expensive to most. I don't know what rate of fertilizer you used either, but your clover indicates low nitrogen and crabgrass means compaction of soils. I bet the lawn stays soaked too--doesn't it? You have to get a good stand of grass, by ferting, watering, and correct mowing. Once the density of the turf is thick enough to shade out the soil, then the weed control is easier. That is what you are after. Bermuda will spread rather quickly, but you must fertilize and water.
You need to figure out what type of fert you intend to buy and calculate the numbers on the bag to your needed growing rate per month of nitrogen needed. You can get a soil sample taken and tested for nutrient deficiencies. Lime will probably be needed to adjust your pH.............yadda yadda......another topic.
My lawn is 1 acre with 2 acres of pasture. My lawn is thick right now, and don't have the time to mow yet. I am going to mow it at 3 inches tall and keep it that way. I will fertilize in another month when the temps get over 70 and stay there. I use 13/13/13 at 8 lbs. per 1,000, 16/16/16 at 6 lbs. per 1,000 if accessible and inexpensive. I also use 34/0/0 at 3 lbs. per 1,000. All these rates above are allowed to administer 1 lb of nitrogen per 1,000 sq.ft. per feeding. Bermuda needs 4-6 lbs of nitrate per growing season under optimum growing conditions and heavy maintenance. Reduce it down to 2-4 lbs. for light maintenance per season.
All on this site will give their advice, this is mine for our area.

Thanks

Sweet Tater
03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
We took on one heck of chore late last spring. We disc and tilled and leveled five acres and reseeded in Bermuda. It was a new house and the five acres was a corn field years ago. It was far from being level and it was full of weeds.

Have you ever dragged a hose over 5 acres? It about killed me and I was really glad we had a well to draw from. The lawn turned out really nice.

But as fate would have it, the onions have showed up in force along with some clover and just a little crab grass. So I need to spray. I am thinking going ahead and hitting it with Roundup since from I can tell the Bermuda is still dormant. Everything I have read says that you need about 16 ounces per gallon. Does that sound right?

Is there anything else I should add like 2-4-D? I've never used that before some I am clueless.

Thanks for your help!

dont use round up and 24d, use either but not both. my suggestion for the weeds you mentioned is 24d, read the lable, it works well. but you are probably (dont know Tn laws) suppose to be lic to use chemicals in your biz, if its your own home, no problem. I have a burmuda lawn and use nothing but 24d for weed control.

Sweet Tater
03-22-2009, 05:04 PM
are you saying crab grass doesn't grow when the ground is still cold? because I will swear it does around here and its some of the biggest crab grass I've ever seen in my life.

i've talked to some guys who are grounds keepers at golf courses before and they use roundup before their bermuda starts growing to control weeds and tough grasses.

are you sure its crab grass and not dallas grass? I am only 15 min south of Tn in Ms and we have a bad problem with Dallas grass, they look simular to the untrained eye.

For the Dalla grass I use MSMA