PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted For Lawn Install or Repair

Going Commercial
03-19-2009, 09:41 PM
A customer's lawn is in bad shape. Grass has not been treated in 5 yrs, bumpy & uneven, along with some drainage problems. (standing water in small areas) They want a new lawn. Sorry, no pictures. The lawn is 11,000 sq feet. I am looking for suggestions. I thought of 2 options on how to do.

1. Spray round-up to kill current grass, bring in 102 yards of topsoil to cover area 3 inches in depth, level/spread soil, and starter fertilizer & seed.

2. Spray round-up to kill current grass, harley power rake area with tractor, grade to level, and starter fertilizer and seed.

If anyone has another idea please tell. If I choose option 1 is three inches of topsoil too much or should I go less in depth? THANKS!!!

tyler_mott85
03-20-2009, 11:21 AM
You may also check into a soil-test before you make your decision.

If the soil is in good condition I'd say go with the harley rake or a rototiller. You'd need a tractor to move that move dirt around anyway. I'd say if you could cut out the expensive of moving dirt around go for it! If you do decide you need to add dirt you might as well add in the expensive of tilling it into the top 6 inches of dirt. That will help your new grass grow strong roots! No point in 3 inches of dirt that the roots will flourish in until they hit the old "like concrete" dirt.

Good Luck!

openbook
03-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Sod strip old grass- bring in soil- fix grade problems-lay sod.

Dstosh
03-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I vote for number 2. Bring in a load or two of topsoil and mix it in where you need to.

ConstSvcs
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Sounds like you are describing my yard! I'm afraid of the RoundUp application (family pooch) I plan on striping what I have with my Harley, topdressing with topsoil/compost and hydroseeding with a Tall Fescue blend and Rye (to over power the spring weed growth.

In your situation.......option #2

betmr
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
I would wait till late August-early September. Spray Round-up, mid August, Power Rake two weeks later, grade, role, and plant new seed. Cool Season grasses like Blue and Rye will get a better start then. Blue grass is long germinateing, and won't do well once the heat of the summer gets here.

One more thing, Do yourself a favor, and get a soil test, get everything right BEFORE you plant. This point is very often neglected, and then they wonder what went wrong. Don't forget Too much of a good thing IS Too much. About $15.00 for a soil test is money well spent!

I hope I was able to help with my opinion, Basicaly I agree w/ #2. I just don't feel that spring is the right time. Spring patching= OK, Renovations= I would wait till the fall.

hackitdown
03-25-2009, 07:35 PM
You never know what kind of weeds and stuff comes in the new topsoil. So I say go number 2. Do your soil test, and make some cash on soil amendments. Save the customer some cash. Everyone wins.

Explain to the customer that they will get some crabgrass this year.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
soil test..... apply momentum FX, wait two weeks...aerate over and over then over again....add components suggested in soil test.....drag yard to stir amendments and plugs throughout......add new seed... LIGHTLY rake seed into soil.....LIGHTLY roll yard to achieve good soil to seed contact.... keep area damp by watering as many times as it takes so the new seed doesn't dry out....after you see new grass, water two or three times a day...unless it rains of course...Ive done yard renovations this way for many years and have had excellent results, unless the client doesn't water! I usually set up sprinklers so all the client needs to do is turn the water on.