PDA

View Full Version : Hearing loss ... is it temporary and what should I do about it?

linda.tw
03-20-2009, 12:10 AM
I was exposed to really loud sound while mowing my yard with a lawn tractor.
Both my ears are still ringing and badly muffled.

Is it temporary and what should I do about it?

ALLPro Landscaping
03-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Most of the time temp, but we are not doctors, GO SEE A DOCTOR

DLAWNS
03-20-2009, 12:18 AM
It should just be temporary, but if it persists see a doctor. Make sure next time you wear hearing protection. Good luck!

topsites
03-20-2009, 12:42 AM
I don't think there's much a doctor can do, other than run some tests and tell you that either it comes back or it doesn't, unfortunately.

But I can recommend ...
Lots of peace and quiet, hours and hours, maybe a day or two.
And a good night's rest.

While doing that learn the lesson of how we fail to appreciate what we have until
it's gone and memorize the reasons and needs behind using hearing protection.

richallseasons
03-20-2009, 12:43 AM
What???:hammerhead:

lawnpro724
03-20-2009, 12:53 AM
It should be fine had the same kind of thing happen to me at a gun range when someone fired a 44mag close to me when I didn't have my ear plugs in. It took couple days for ringing to stop but hearing came back fine. I always wear hearing protection when mowing or using any loud piece of equipment, don't want to lose my hearing.

linda.tw
03-20-2009, 01:08 AM
I didn't realize that it was necessary to protect my hearing.

Paul's LC
03-20-2009, 01:15 AM
It is... it doesnt seem like you need to when your young and invincible but it will catch up with you eventually if you have longterm exposure. a 20 buck pair of hearing protection is a simple way to make your life is alot easier once you get older. hope this helps!

ExtExc
03-20-2009, 01:34 AM

:dizzy:

:hammerhead:

LouisianaLawnboy
03-20-2009, 01:44 AM

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::ham merhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerh ead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

LouisianaLawnboy
03-20-2009, 01:45 AM

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Valk
03-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Disposable foam earplugs inserted properly are a cheap way to preserve your hearing. I get about 2 days out of a pair, then I replace them with a fresh set. These also work great at rock concerts and at racing events.

Read the instructions on the box.

Exact Rototilling
03-20-2009, 02:16 AM
I don't think this is being taught in schools these days. Too much sex-ed but not enough about the hearing of primitive tribe members in remote areas of the world at the age of 85+ who have better hearing than the average person [who doesn't run power equipment] from an industrialized country at age 30 or so.

Hearing is fragile and the high frequencies go first

When your ears ring you have done some damage.

I wear my Peltor H10A muffs when I run a vacuum in the house.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-20-2009, 02:23 AM
read the instructions on the box.

hilarious!!!

Scagguy
03-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Hire a professional to do your lawn maintenance and you won't have to worry about your hearing.

Richard Martin
03-20-2009, 03:32 AM
You probably have Tinnitus. You can read about it's causes, effects and prognosis here:

http://www.medicinenet.com/tinnitus/article.htm

Grassman6
03-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Take this advise from an old artillery sergeant...get the orange foam earplugs from Walmart for the hot days and a set of Peltor headphones for the cool weather from www.baileysonline.com

MOW ED
03-20-2009, 07:31 AM
At least you can still see.

I would say that you should sell your "loud" equipment and hire a Pro.

Also, in case someone didn't tell you, there are big pieces of spinning metal near the ground that could possibly cut your fingers off or worse.

I am thinking this is a bit of a bait post but what the heck if not I still have faith that these people really exist (for a while).

lawnman_scott
03-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I am thinking this is a bit of a bait post but what the heck if not I still have faith that these people really exist (for a while).
I was thinking the same.

linda.tw
03-20-2009, 07:46 PM
My hearing is back!!! :):):)

Lehighlawnpros
03-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I tote the trimmer most of the day so I need extra protection.

The foam plugs always hurt my ears, so what I use instead is the silicone plugs (Physician's Choice or Mack's) like swimmers use.

I roll them into a cone shape and push them in all around the edges until they seal right. Just use common-sense not to push them in too far.

Then I wear a quality earmuff type protector (Bilsom Lightning) over top of the plugs, this works great and also keeps the plugs from getting dirty or working loose.

I can then tote the trimmer/edger/blower all day with no
discomfort or ringing in my ears.

The silicone plugs are cost effective also, because you can
re-use them many times if you rinse them with warm water
after each day of use.

I also carefully clean my ears each morning with a safe
tool called an "ear wiz" (google it), this works great to prevent wax buildup.

Just a few of the tricks I've learned doing this work for
15+ years :-)

Bob
Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros
03-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I wear my Peltor H10A muffs when I run a vacuum in the house.

:-) And I thought I was the only one who did that!

I wear mine when sharpening blades also, it makes the day go much better!

Bob
Lehighlawnpros

lifetree
03-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Most of the time temp, but we are not doctors, GO SEE A DOCTOR

That happened to me and I found out that I have some permanent hearing loss !!