PDA

View Full Version : Is the deck un-leveled??

luis@NJ
03-20-2009, 12:22 AM
So today i started to work on my new to me walk-behind its OLD so long story short I got the mower and he threw in an older one for free so the casters had a some weird spacer thing with a bolt lol so i did a swap from the free mower and it worked very well but i had to put one spacer on the left bottom side so is it un-leveled? The machine runs and cuts good but any ideas or comments would help. Will get pic's tomorrow. Thanks!

topsites
03-20-2009, 01:26 AM
First thing to do is level out tire pressure via psi.

Grassman6
03-20-2009, 03:44 AM
Second thing to check is the blade tip to ground height. Adjust even left to right and 1/4" lower front to rear. On occasion I've had to shim individual spindles with washers for the older decks that were abused.

topsites
03-20-2009, 04:01 AM
Oh...
I just noticed...

Well if it cuts good leave it alone :p

luis@NJ
03-20-2009, 10:27 AM
thanks guys will do. and will get some pics in a bit!

ALC-GregH
03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
The first thing you need to check is the blade tip height. Do this by setting the cutting height and then check the blade tips to see if they are the same amount. The blade should be left to right when checking height, not front to back, that comes later. That's the most important thing to check as it's what leaves the finished product, or service in this case. After you've checked and got the blades level side to side, set the angle or "rake" on the deck. This is the pitch from from to back. It should always be lower in the front. A 50" deck shouldn't be more then a 1/4in and a 60 less then 1/2in rake or pitch at the most. Anymore and it may not cut as good. Check this with the blades pointing front to back. The difference is the pitch on the deck. Hope this helps.

PS, don't listen to Topsites, he runs old worn out equipment! :D Well, maybe not. hahahaha