PDA

View Full Version : Toyota still won't start

South Florida Lawns
03-20-2009, 03:30 AM
Just finished putting a new fuel pump in the 86' 4Runner and It started up and ran for literally 2 seconds before it stalled. Now I go to turn it over again and no power to anything, won't crank lights on dash some times come on, but usually its all dark. Battery is fully charged no fuses are blown, I just can't find the short if that's what it is. I'm done for the night this thing just pisses me off. Any suggestions?

blackangus86
03-20-2009, 09:16 AM
I had at one time ,a ford that had a bad ground from the motor to the frame. This would cause it to do all sorts of weird stuff. Might want to double check that to rule it out.

MBDiagMan
03-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Okay, have you checked fuel pressure at the rail? If you have no way to do that, pour a little raw gas in the throttle body and see if it will try to run for a second or two. If it will, then you just proved the ignition system to be operational and you can continue working on the fuel delivery problem.

If it will cough and try to run on raw fuel, then you REALLY need to buy, beg or borrow a fuel pressure gauge. If you have no pressure, then you need to listen for the fuel pump running. Listen for it when you first turn on the key. On most cars, especially Japanese, there is a fuel pump relay that will turn on the fuel pump for a second or two when you first turn on the key. This is to ensure fuel pressure when you first start cranking.

If you can't here the pump run AT ALL, then you really need to check for voltage at the pump and work from there.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I reread your original post and saw that it won't crank. Have you checked your battery cables at the battery?

Merlin300
03-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I had at one time ,a ford that had a bad ground from the motor to the frame. This would cause it to do all sorts of weird stuff. Might want to double check that to rule it out.

This^^^......I would seriously double check ALL the grounds.

2stroke
03-22-2009, 12:03 PM
sounds too me as if you have a battery problem now. loose, or dirty cables.

4.3mudder
03-26-2009, 11:26 AM
You don't have the right engine in it that is why!! There is a loose ground somewhere. I remember when I had the 22r in mine, I took a new ground strap form the battery too the top of the block near the compressor. I would try that too. Jiggle the battery around too, the cable might be loose on the post. Keep me informed on that yota, I want to see what it looks like.