PDA

View Full Version : "New" Lawncare people

Mike Blevins
03-20-2009, 10:22 AM
WoW! Is all I can say. I have had 3 new flyers in my mail box this week. "I will beat anybody's price on yard work." $20 any yard!, "Son in college, times are tough need yards to mow to make ends meet for family of five!" , " I'm putting my way through college and need money fast will trim lawns,trees,etc!" Its going to be interesting to say the least. I was notified by the codo association that I mow I was underbid by $90.00 dollars a week on the mowing contract for this year. I told them to jerk his arm off and get it in writing. Some people have no clue :laugh::laugh:. I ended up getting it back last night at the price increase i gave on my original bid. I guess quality does count for something. I finished with my customer list last night and 100% are return customers. This is one year I wouldn't like to be "starting a lawncare company". It good to know that you have faithful customers that trust you and don't fall into the "lowballer" mindset. Good luck to everyone this year. Ours starts in a few days.:usflag:

ALC-GregH
03-20-2009, 10:28 AM
It's good that your keeping all your customers. Now you need to hire the guy doing them for $20 a lawn and let HIM do all the work. :D

Proc's Lawncare
03-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Ya no crap, pay him $20 bucks a lawn and sit back sippin a few long islands... Tis the season... But i do think people see this as the easiest start up business, until they do it of course!

RLS24
03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I got one day that said "name your own price" I read the details and this place will literally cut any lawn for whatever "you feel is a fair price" with no minimum. I should call them and have them cut my own lawn for $1 just so I don't have to do it.

I have noticed that I am not getting the response from my fliers that I got last year though. Kind of disappointed to say the least.

billslawn89
03-20-2009, 02:17 PM
i think it will only get worse! as i see it here, i'll have these yo-yo's start out and once the blazing heat and rains come, they will be gone. most of the yo-yo's will have push mowers anyways, any its tooooo freaking hot in the summer to be pushing a mower, 90+ degress temps and high humidities... :laugh: i just laugh at these dummies, i see it year after year, thats when i start advertising again. :laugh:

jsw2008
03-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I was out mowing and doing a few estimates today. I must have seen 20 other LCO's out and about. Some were old familiar trucks that have been around for years, but most were new to me. You guys should have seen some of these yahoos. All of them had 25 year old murray lawn tractors either in the back of a pickup or on trailers that looked like the floors would fall through. And they looked like escaped convicts that hadn't bathed in a month. I can't imagine anybody wanting these people to work in their yards. Funny thing is that out of all the new guys I saw, I didn't see any of these startups actually working. They were all either at fast food joints or coming out of the convenience store with snacks. So maybe they just ride around town hoping somebody will stop them and ask them to cut their grass.

skennedy04
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM
i think it will only get worse! as i see it here, i'll have these yo-yo's start out and once the blazing heat and rains come, they will be gone. most of the yo-yo's will have push mowers anyways, any its tooooo freaking hot in the summer to be pushing a mower, 90+ degress temps and high humidities... :laugh: i just laugh at these dummies, i see it year after year, thats when i start advertising again. :laugh:

Same here......they all like to low ball and offer services that they cant keep up with....I pick up most of my new lawn clients about the middle of the season when these idiots QUIT and dont show,then they see the service we provide and they are hooked.

Proc's Lawncare
03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
"They were all either at fast food joints or coming out of the convenience store with snacks. So maybe they just ride around town hoping somebody will stop them and ask them to cut their grass."

Very TRUE!! Saw a few here handing out fliers at Walmart dressed in ripped shorts and arm pit stained white v neck t-shirts! Holy cow, I wouldn't take the flier from the guy, never the less call them for a estimate! Looks good for us though, PLEASE all future lowballers and start up crap-o-matic lco's do NOT shave, shower, or show an inch of self pride, it's making my phone ring!!

davis45
03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Hmm, lots of new ones here too. I have 2,500 post cards out and only got 2 calls! No work! ahhh, haha, oh well we're stayin busy.

touhey33
03-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Hopefully they all give up, and we can pick up their customers.

Fox Lawn & Garden
03-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Times are going to get tough, fellas. I got low-balled for a football field. The winning bid was 35.00. About 2 1/2- 3 hours work to do it right.

lifetree
03-20-2009, 09:38 PM
It's good that your keeping all your customers. Now you need to hire the guy doing them for $20 a lawn and let HIM do all the work. :D

LMAO ... however, he probably wouldn't do as good a job for you, so you better still do it yourself !!

mattfromNY
03-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I have literally seen one new ad in the local newspaper, PER NIGHT, for the past week. Only one of these ads is a company I know of, all the rest are new. (I live in a very small town, and know all the 'usuals')
The funny part is, every new ad seems to be bigger and brighter than the rest of them, pretty soon I expect to see a full page ad by some fly by nighter. Everything from "We wont be beaten in price", to "Name your price" and "Professional service, call the pro's who know".

All Seasons Landscaping
03-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Times are going to get tough, fellas. I got low-balled for a football field. The winning bid was 35.00. About 2 1/2- 3 hours work to do it right.

$35 for a football field??? Either they have an old 21" and just really like walking, or they have like a 12' mower and figure they can be done in like 10 mins. Either way, I don't think that would cover their gas?? :laugh:

Damian
03-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Just a short pointless comment: I've been working with my 21 year old nephew for the past couple of weeks and we haven't been getting a lot done, but a lawn littered with live oak leaves require a lot more work than a typical May mow. He got sick and I had to work by myself. It's amazing how in such a short amount of time the body can get used to performing certain tasks for a certain amount of time and then the trouble it has to adapting to doing the same tasks for much longer. I found myself dealing with heat exhaustion yesterday and it was barely in the 80's.

We've had several equipment breakages, stoppages, so these people thinking that this is easy money are in a for a very rude surprise as the weeks pass by. Don't let it get to you; you'll get your people back as the newbies fall by the wayside as reality kicks their ass to the curb.

Y'know what's funny? We have some customers, I would love to be lowballed out of, but the ********* keep us as their providers! ;)

FYS777
03-21-2009, 12:18 AM
The way I look at it is at lest they are willing to work and trying to feed there family or there self, I don't blame them, A thought just came to me though if they are willing to work, talk to them and work something out with them were you could pay them a wage and yet get the customer that they would have got, and still make a few bucks, don't let there phone numbers go?? maybe I'm way off but its a thought??

freshcut419
03-22-2009, 01:22 AM
so far so good here pick up 3 new accoutn this week

topsites
03-22-2009, 02:51 AM
And I thought it was like this every year.

TuffWork
03-22-2009, 03:56 AM
It is like this every year. I love seeing those people with one homeowner model toro walkbehind one weedeater and one blower and they think they are on the same caliber as as everyone else. Wait till it's July, it's too hot, and their equipment breaks. They see some of the guys like my self with two walkbehinds in a truck and think they can hang. They don't realize I have 4 more mowers, 2 more trimmers and two more blowers at home, and then don't understand why they can't mow when their equipment breaks. Like it was said before, wait till July and advertise again.

Also, many of these people don't have the means to service people as needed. They can't do side jobs or full service work for lack of equipment (chainsaws, tree trimming equip., fert spreaders, hedge trimmers, leaf shredders, screwguns, and oh, I don't know, a full tool box).

I think the fly by nighters will make us alot of money soon. People will quickly realize that a discount mow is not all it's cracked up to be, and will be looking to the real professionals to take care of them.

I picked up two accounts this week with only about 250 fliers. Bonus, they are both within a mile of me. If we can get some rain I'll make more money this year than ever.

MOturkey
03-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Here too. I decided to stay with my "day" job for at least another year, so didn't advertise in the paper, as I have almost as many clients as I need still working a fulltime job.

Anyway, I picked up a local paper the other day, and there were maybe 20 ads. Not all were actually local, because the classified section of the paper is put out in three different communities, but still way more than last year. One guy, who did have a local phone number has "Average yard, $20. Senior citizen discount" My minimum has been $30 for the last two years, and you have to realize this is not an urban area. The "average" yard here is probably 1/3 to 1/2 acre. Sure there are neighborhoods with small yards, but they aren't the norm.

There is only one other local in the phone book, and he is new this year. I picked up one last week from the Yellow Page ad, and usually get at least a couple of clients from it each season. Guess I'll just keep on doing my thing, and hope I'm still around when a lot of these $20 guys are gone.

Fox Lawn & Garden
03-22-2009, 10:08 AM
$35 for a football field??? Either they have an old 21" and just really like walking, or they have like a 12' mower and figure they can be done in like 10 mins. Either way, I don't think that would cover their gas?? :laugh:

He has a 48-54 Cub TANK.
He's also 25, live with parents, spoiled, etc. he went to school with my son.

Dstosh
03-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I got one day that said "name your own price" I read the details and this place will literally cut any lawn for whatever "you feel is a fair price" with no minimum. I should call them and have them cut my own lawn for $1 just so I don't have to do it.

I have noticed that I am not getting the response from my fliers that I got last year though. Kind of disappointed to say the least.

Still pretty early for our area. People arround here wait until the last second.

Carolina Cuts
03-22-2009, 10:50 AM
I pick up most of my new lawn clients about the middle of the season when these idiots QUIT and dont show,then they see the service we provide and they are hooked.

I wonder if the way to "weed" these guys out is to continue advertising with fliers all year long. If there is one thing I've noticed over the years. LCO's and NEW wanna-be LCO's hit the pavements hard in March and April flooding the neighborhoods with fliers.. come July and August, I've never seen a flyer in my mailbox or any others for the matter. So I'm thinkin' to continue putting out fliers all season long. Best case scenerio, potential new customers hold onto it for next season.

Yes, a large percentage of customers will jump on a $20- advertisment, especially the homeowners who normally wouldn't use a lawn service. And those customers will kick themselves in the @ss and HOPEFULLY learn the lesson..

"You get what you pay for..."

AbelLawn
03-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Same here......they all like to low ball and offer services that they cant keep up with....I pick up most of my new lawn clients about the middle of the season when these idiots QUIT and dont show,then they see the service we provide and they are hooked.

Agreed. We just moved to a new area a couple years ago and 80% of our new customers come from this also. They do think its an easy entry business, but those of us in it for the long haul will benefit in the end. Professional appearance and quality service is the key.

BCarlson
03-22-2009, 11:08 AM
You're always going to have lowballers, Where I am at no calls as of yet, but the grass is still dormant. In the past 2 weeks this is the 3rd day its supposed to be above 50 degrees and then drop back into the 40's next week. Where its a new business where I am at, I am not new to the industry. I had done it as a second job but the 12-16 hour days 7 days a week wore me completely out by the end of the season. But that year I did have a newbie that wouldn't bid and call the customers and go $5 less than the lowest written bid. So me being a stubborn fool and doing it for extra income I did start low balling just so the guy would start getting really low accounts.

BCL Services
03-22-2009, 11:18 AM
The way I look at it is at lest they are willing to work and trying to feed there family or there self, I don't blame them, A thought just came to me though if they are willing to work, talk to them and work something out with them were you could pay them a wage and yet get the customer that they would have got, and still make a few bucks, don't let there phone numbers go?? maybe I'm way off but its a thought??

Yep, i think you are way off.

Shuter
03-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Same here at my house. I am sure at my clients homes also. Every year I get the questions about why stay with my company vs. the cheap guys. I explain the tax and insurance deal and ask who will be paying to replace a slider or car window if a rock cracks it. A company with insurance or a guy with no insurance. I have not lost anyone in 9 years to the cheap flyer guys.

All Seasons Landscaping
03-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Same here at my house. I am sure at my clients homes also. Every year I get the questions about why stay with my company vs. the cheap guys. I explain the tax and insurance deal and ask who will be paying to replace a slider or car window if a rock cracks it. A company with insurance or a guy with no insurance. I have not lost anyone in 9 years to the cheap flyer guys.

That one definitely helps. Also, worst case scenario, what happens if that rock hits a person and not a window. That's when you really need insurance.

kaferhaus
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
We get the "sob story" fliers around here too... and zillions of craigslist ads from guys begging for work because they "lost their job", just got out of the military, going to school etc. etc.

Most of the "sob stories are pure BS" A lady told me one guy showed up at her place telling her the "kids in college" routine, "lost his job"... her words were the man was an "idiot" she asked him had he ever heard of student loans?.... any student with poor or unemployed parents can get them.... how could he possibly earn enough money cutting grass at 20 buck a yard to support his family and put a kid through college..

She also mentioned the guy had maybe 4 teeth, a bunch of "rusty" looking equipmnet and a truck that belched smoke... and was slightly less articulate that her poodle.

Now are there legit guys throwing mowers in their trucks and trying to earn money? Of course there are. But many of these jokers are just bums with a BS sad tale to tell to try and play on a customers sympathy.

Fortunately the vast majority of my customers are concerned first with quality and promptness. And are a bit too savvy to fall for such "poor pitiful me" garbage.

Allens LawnCare
03-26-2009, 09:58 AM
WoW! Is all I can say. I have had 3 new flyers in my mail box this week. "I will beat anybody's price on yard work." $20 any yard!, "Son in college, times are tough need yards to mow to make ends meet for family of five!" , " I'm putting my way through college and need money fast will trim lawns,trees,etc!" Its going to be interesting to say the least. I was notified by the codo association that I mow I was underbid by $90.00 dollars a week on the mowing contract for this year. I told them to jerk his arm off and get it in writing. Some people have no clue :laugh::laugh:. I ended up getting it back last night at the price increase i gave on my original bid. I guess quality does count for something. I finished with my customer list last night and 100% are return customers. This is one year I wouldn't like to be "starting a lawncare company". It good to know that you have faithful customers that trust you and don't fall into the "lowballer" mindset. Good luck to everyone this year. Ours starts in a few days.:usflag:

I had an estimate the otherday and when I told him my labor rate per hour his jaw dropped and told me a guy should up today in a ford ranger and would do it for $15 an hour.....Told him...Good luck

hmc610
03-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Today in the paper there where 23 ads for lawn care! Last year the number was around 6. All these ads in a town the size of 10,00 and the county has population of 25,000. Some of these ads have prices of $20.00 a yard! How can you compete with this? Boy things are getting tough!

Allens LawnCare
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Around here every ad has a home improvement & Lawncare Attached to it...contractors are taking a beating and buying up junk eq and pricing way below market

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 02:36 PM
This is a rather large area... maybe a dozen ads in the paper all the time and 2 dozen on craigslist.

We haven't lost a single account do to price and we're not cheap... we've lost a few to foreclosures in the past year and some "rent skippers". but the few we lost we made up for with little effort.

In fact until this year we did both commercial (most of my business) and residential in this county and only commercial in the next county over.. this year we started taking on residentials in that county also and that business is picking up just from word of mouth and referrals (our best marketing tool)

McCall
03-27-2009, 03:35 AM
Confessionís of a low-baller.

I might be the guy you are all talking about. I have a sob story and it isnít BS, but I donít think Iíll go into that here. I started my business five weeks ago and Iím already kicking myself in the pants for the mistakes Iíve made.

Hereís a quick run down of my mistakes so far:
ē I passed out flyers that were way way (did I mention way?) under the price of the professionals, not just that, but I walked every street myself and wrote my quote on every single card instead of sending out targeted flyers.
ē I started mowing with a POS Wal-Mart special push mower that I paid less then $80 bucks for 5 years ago. Worst of all I started without a truck. Thatís right, my mower (after unscrewing a few bolts) folded up and just barely fit in the trunk of my car (Honda Accord, V6, leather seatsÖ itís nice, or I guess I should say it was nice). The mower rolled around in the trunk a little at first but after I wedged the weed eater, edger, blower and gas cans in there it stopped moving.
ē I started with a Ďpartnerí and I can already see the fight and eventual bloody separation coming.
ē When I did upgrade I Ďupgradedí to top of the line residential equipment rather then low grade commercial equipment.

A week and a half after I bought my new mower (it was a push mower, but self propelled which was a nice upgrade for me) I hit a stump and bent the crankshaft. So now itís sitting in my dealers/ repair shop waiting for a part (which will according to him, take a week to arrive) and when itís done I know Iíll be hit with a bill that is about half what the whole dang machine in worth. And on top of that itís been raining for two days straight and tomorrow doesnít look much better so I canít even get my lawns done with the backup machine (the afore mentioned POS).

So, being in Houston, Texas my mowing season starts a lot sooner then a lot of your seasons Iím sure. Next week we are going to a weekly mowing schedule and Iím crunching numbers late at night realizing that Iíve screwed myself over.
On my first day of the week Iíll be making the least amount of money with the most hours of work. These are the houses that I lowballed like crazy when I started bidding. Iím not doing that anymore but I still canít go as high as the real proís because I donít have the equipment to make it cost effective. I also canít bid on larger or nicer residential homes because of equipment and manpower shortcomings. Donít even get me started on Commercial bids, I couldnít even start to land bids for those jobs knowing what Iíve already learned about what a man hour is really worth out in this nice cool spring weather.
I should get to my point, which is this. Iím here to learn.
Because of all the frustrations Iíve had these past few weeks trying to start a business with the worst possible setup this frustration is the worst. I hate the quality of my cuts. I hate driving by one of my customerís houses and see that even though itís only been a few days since I mowed their lawn it looks likeÖ well, it looks like it was done by an amateur.
Iím sure a whole lot of these guys whoíve started mowing this year will be gone by the end of it. But some of us will still be here. I didnít start this business idly or with the intention of leaving it quickly. Iíd ask you all not to turn away from the stupid questions that you see coming from me and others like me. Because I donít fear the heat of summer; Iíve felt worse. I donít fear the pain of sore muscles earned through hard honest work; Iíve earned worse. I am here to learn from you all, because I do fear failure and I donít know of anything worse then looking at a job that you know was poorly done by your own hands.

P.S. Sorry about the long post, I write quickly and I often overdo it in posting on forums.

DaughtryLC
03-27-2009, 03:39 AM
I like a little comp. it keeps me on my toes!
Feel free to try and get my customers! You will lose!:gunsfirin

coqui landscaping
06-08-2009, 05:47 PM
:laugh::nono::laugh:$35 for a football field??? Either they have an old 21" and just really like walking, or they have like a 12' mower and figure they can be done in like 10 mins. Either way, I don't think that would cover their gas??

:laugh:

silverado212
06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Now that the heat has started to set in a bit around here hopefully these low rent guys will disapear. I have one advertising on craiglist here in my area of town that says the best lawncare in this area and cheapest price. Kinda seems like an oximoron to me. Saw the best of all the other day. Guy pulls up in a toyota camry with 21" push in trunk and curved shaft trimmer and handheld blower in back seat. Did two houses together and was sweating his a$$ off in low 70's temp. Don't know what he is getting paid but saw one home owner give him a single bill out of his wallet. Couldn't see denomination. Wasn't trying to be nosy, but don't like guys trying to eat my lunch so to speak either.

lawnprosteveo
06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
I cant say how many pickups with old push mowers and old equipment Ive seen this past couple of weeks. These new guys are mowing for PEANUTS! They cant last too long...they are confusing cash flow with profit,

turfbuilder
06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
They are trying to make a quick buck.
They don't have a clue to what their costs are even using their home owner equipment. They probably think $20.00 an hour cash is good money for mowing.
What they forgot to do was subtract their gas, mileage , wear and tear etc.
Next season most of them will be gone!

Charles
06-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I cant say how many pickups with old push mowers and old equipment Ive seen this past couple of weeks. These new guys are mowing for PEANUTS! They cant last too long...they are confusing cash flow with profit,

Exactly! Happens every year. Newbies come in and cut prices. Eventually that will catch up with them. Medical bills, truck repairs, equipment repairs, IRS, Business expenses, Licenses, Insurance etc. They are out there in the heat and humidity working for squat. Then there is all the extra work that goes into running a business...Too bad this cycle never ends:cry:

ferris09
06-08-2009, 09:11 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was out mowing my own yard when I saw an old rusty Nissan truck slowly prowling my neighborhood, so I stayed around in my yard which is 450 feet from the road in a grove of trees until I saw him coming back towards me so I drive up my driveway and there he was walking towards my drive. I stopped and talked to him and sure enough he handed me a business card and asked if I ever thought of having a professional cut my yard? Here I am on my new 2009 Ferris IS 1500 !!! The next day I am coming through my neighborhood around lunch time and I see him at a house in his Nissan with an old Murray rider in the back. I come home again around 4:30 and he is still there, and now the best part !! leaving home the next morning and there he is again at the same house!! I do not know what he is charging or what his services include but I would assume he was there for 6 to 8 hours. My lot is the in a corner and is the largest in the neighborhood at over 3 acres and I mow 2 of that. Now I can mow, weedeat and blow my yard in about 2 hours and not be in a rush (lots and lots of trees) How can they make it like that? Oh yeah I forgot when I talked to him and he went to leave it took him about 2 to 3 mins to get his truck started.

TaylorLawn
06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
As for my area in SC....Seems to be a lot of the same thing happening. I always have seen the proverbial Murray in the back of the wagon thing, but this year it seems to be more and more. I havent seen a change in my client list though due to the influx...Hopefully it will stay that way......

WGLandscapeMaintenance
06-08-2009, 11:09 PM
As for my area in SC....Seems to be a lot of the same thing happening. I always have seen the proverbial Murray in the back of the wagon thing, but this year it seems to be more and more. I havent seen a change in my client list though due to the influx...Hopefully it will stay that way......

I am in the process of starting for next year, yet I will be legit with insurance, licensing, taxes, and will charge the going rate, It's a tough time right now, with everyone losing jobs, and they all own a lawn mower so basically everyone has their own lawn company.

jsw2008
06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
It has hit 90 with high humidity here for the last couple of days, and I have actually seen far less beat up trucks and mowers...imagine that.

curbappealco
08-27-2009, 09:15 PM
The nice thing about lawn care is EVERYONE has a lawn and it KEEPS GROWING. Don't worry so much about the new guy just keep your prices right and do a great job and the accounts will stay. I haven't lost an account yet to lower prices and when I go to the gas station in the morning all I see is trucks with trailers and mowers. They cannot afford the good stuff and they just got fired from McDonalds so I doubt they can mow a lawn :)

sweetz
08-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I applaud these people for trying to do something. At least their trying & not sitting at home feeling sorry for themselves.

curbappealco
08-27-2009, 09:55 PM
No kidding, the more people i have to stop paying for collecting welfare the better

FYS777
08-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I applaud these people for trying to do something. At least their trying & not sitting at home feeling sorry for themselves.

I agree. I just had a Blessing today. One of those 15 dollar guys was started doing some work on one of my clients places, and the work he was doing the client told me about and i said thats ok with me, because i am busy, today i was able to talk with the guy, while my crew was working, which this is my crews last week so i was looking for some help. because my crew, ones a teacher, going back to school to teach, and the other going to college. well i am bringing this guy on to work with me, so it does pay off to talk to this guys, for me any way. worked out well.

mjealey
08-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I don't have a problem with these kind of people as it really doesn't affect me. I did see a guy with one of the really cheap Toro's sold from home depot and he was loading it in the back of a Dodge Caravan. The Van had all the seats out and it barely fit in there.

It was actually really funny. He drove it up on the metal ramps and would go up and he would have to lean back so his head would't hit the roof going into the van. It was halfway in and he would have to shimmy forward on his back off the mower and get out the side door. (didn't have room to get off the back of the mower). Then he went around to the back and pushed the mower the rest of the way up in his little caravan. It was awesome and was very entertaining to watch. I give him credit, at least he is out mowing instead of collecting checks that we pay for!!!

lyube
08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
I picked up a few accounts this week...25$ cuts, easy money.

sweetz
08-27-2009, 11:26 PM
I picked up a few accounts this week...25$ cuts, easy money.

Watch out, some of the Northerners with their $40-$60 per yard minimum price are gonna come and get you. They're doing it to me on another thread. :dizzy:

brucec32
08-28-2009, 12:33 AM
"at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing"

True. But does it occur to anyone that everyone might be better off if they did what people used to do.....go work for a proper lawn company?

1. The customer gets a better, more reliable lawn service, from an insured and responsible provider.

2. The existing companies get better, more motivated, more reliable employees. They don't have their price structure crushed by "lowballing".

3. The unemployed person gets a steady paycheck, workers comp protections against injury on the job, plus a free education in the biz. He actually learns something useful about how to operate commercial equipment, how to do the job efficiently and correctly, how to prune, etc, etc. And due to regular hours and freed of the expenses of operating a business, he makes probably about as much as he did working spotty hours and mowing lawns for $20 each solo. He can then eventually decide if he wants to go into business for himself, but he will be doing it from a position of knowledge, not ignorance and desperation, and therefore will not be damaging the industry's reputation and pricing structure.

4. The government gets paid its taxes, both income and payroll.

Unfortunately this nation has developed an "all chiefs, no indians" mentality. Probably too much watching TV shows where everyone is a bigshot and too many years of demeaning honest hard work by considering it only for immigrants. Nobody wants to work for anyone else, nobody wants to be anything but "the boss".

FYS777
08-28-2009, 12:45 AM
"at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing"

True. But does it occur to anyone that everyone might be better off if they did what people used to do.....go work for a proper lawn company?

1. The customer gets a better, more reliable lawn service, from an insured and responsible provider.

2. The existing companies get better, more motivated, more reliable employees. They don't have their price structure crushed by "lowballing".

3. The unemployed person gets a steady paycheck, workers comp protections against injury on the job, plus a free education in the biz. He actually learns something useful about how to operate commercial equipment, how to do the job efficiently and correctly, how to prune, etc, etc. And due to regular hours and freed of the expenses of operating a business, he makes probably about as much as he did working spotty hours and mowing lawns for $20 each solo. He can then eventually decide if he wants to go into business for himself, but he will be doing it from a position of knowledge, not ignorance and desperation, and therefore will not be damaging the industry's reputation and pricing structure.

4. The government gets paid its taxes, both income and payroll.

Unfortunately this nation has developed an "all chiefs, no indians" mentality. Probably too much watching TV shows where everyone is a bigshot and too many years of demeaning honest hard work by considering it only for immigrants. Nobody wants to work for anyone else, nobody wants to be anything but "the boss".

Good points, so guys start talking to those guys, instead of just complaining, be proactive, and be creative,

sweetz
08-28-2009, 02:16 AM
I don't know about your areas, but down here nobody is hiring. Everybody is laying off their employees. INCLUDING LAWN/LANDSCAPE COMPANIES. Everything is so expensive that most companies (except Walmart) can't afford employees.

Southern-Cut
08-28-2009, 03:04 PM
some of them stick around for a few reasons, even though most of yall in the big business mentality think they cant.

1.) Walmart... walmart is generally in business b/c the majority of people dont care. they want cheap prices and convenience. same way with the vast majority of lawn care clients. they dont care if they show up in a caravan or a brand new turbo diesel. to them its $20 vs $40-$50. no insurance? they are saving 50%-60% PER cut on the service itself vs the CHANCE that a rock hits a window which would be replaced for $100-$200 cost at which case they break even. I also highly doubt the home owners they are getting have full coverage auto insurance or health insurance! lol $$$$ is the bottom line for a huge % of the population.

2.) Overhead... how much overhead do you think these guys have? thier not making payments on that dodge caravan. their living expense is more than likely bare minimum. doubt they have 2-3 cell phones, gym memberships, hobbies that cost huge ammounts of $, etc etc. the equipment they use, although low quality and low production is also very low cost (which the 1's with brains upgrade first). then you see that dodge caravan hauling a used 5x8 trailer with mismatched wheels and a broken gate with a 48" wb. He still gets made fun of but his profit/expense isnt as bad as you think and will continue to get better as he can price a little higher next year and provide a better service. I have much more respect for the guys in caravans than i do for the guys in brand new king cab duelys with 2 brand new turf tigers racks blah blah just to see them sell it all at 60% cost cause they cant afford the $50k loan cause they have 4 mowing accounts.

Im 100% legal. incorporated, licensed, insured, cpa. the cost of opperation is not as huge as some of you make it out to be. it's yourself that make it cost so much. I never get tired of the $40k trucks with $30k worth of equipment saying you cant cut "x" yard for "y" ammount of $, but you should say "I CAN'T". Keep bidding those yards at $50-$75 in your $100k rig and inflated self worth, losing them to the $30-$40 guys. keep whining about the guys smart enough to find ways around it in their 4 cyl used nissan's getting twice the MPG pulling 6x12 aluminum trailers with wb's instead of zero's and making the same ammount of profit if not more after cost of opperation. just cause you cant figure it out, doesnt mean it cant work! :confused:

sorry for the rant, and its not targeted at anyone specifically... just wanted to speak my mind lol :p

sweetz
08-29-2009, 01:34 AM
some of them stick around for a few reasons, even though most of yall in the big business mentality think they cant.

1.) Walmart... walmart is generally in business b/c the majority of people dont care. they want cheap prices and convenience. same way with the vast majority of lawn care clients. they dont care if they show up in a caravan or a brand new turbo diesel. to them its $20 vs $40-$50. no insurance? they are saving 50%-60% PER cut on the service itself vs the CHANCE that a rock hits a window which would be replaced for $100-$200 cost at which case they break even. I also highly doubt the home owners they are getting have full coverage auto insurance or health insurance! lol $$$$ is the bottom line for a huge % of the population.

2.) Overhead... how much overhead do you think these guys have? thier not making payments on that dodge caravan. their living expense is more than likely bare minimum. doubt they have 2-3 cell phones, gym memberships, hobbies that cost huge ammounts of $, etc etc. the equipment they use, although low quality and low production is also very low cost (which the 1's with brains upgrade first). then you see that dodge caravan hauling a used 5x8 trailer with mismatched wheels and a broken gate with a 48" wb. He still gets made fun of but his profit/expense isnt as bad as you think and will continue to get better as he can price a little higher next year and provide a better service. I have much more respect for the guys in caravans than i do for the guys in brand new king cab duelys with 2 brand new turf tigers racks blah blah just to see them sell it all at 60% cost cause they cant afford the $50k loan cause they have 4 mowing accounts.

Im 100% legal. incorporated, licensed, insured, cpa. the cost of opperation is not as huge as some of you make it out to be. it's yourself that make it cost so much. I never get tired of the $40k trucks with $30k worth of equipment saying you cant cut "x" yard for "y" ammount of $, but you should say "I CAN'T". Keep bidding those yards at $50-$75 in your $100k rig and inflated self worth, losing them to the $30-$40 guys. keep whining about the guys smart enough to find ways around it in their 4 cyl used nissan's getting twice the MPG pulling 6x12 aluminum trailers with wb's instead of zero's and making the same ammount of profit if not more after cost of opperation. just cause you cant figure it out, doesnt mean it cant work! :confused:

sorry for the rant, and its not targeted at anyone specifically... just wanted to speak my mind lol :p

:laugh::waving::drinkup::laugh::waving::drinkup:Good post.