PDA

View Full Version : phone book price

Frontier-Lawn
03-20-2009, 11:38 AM
would you guys pay $313 per month to verizon to do a biz card size add in the yellow pages for 12 months.

dewos
03-20-2009, 11:40 AM
would you guys pay $313 per month to verizon to do a biz card size add in the yellow pages for 12 months.

Depends on how hurt you are for business... One job Pays for it so figure you need one new job per month to pay for your add.

Green Machine Mowing
03-20-2009, 11:46 AM
i wouldent, you'll just get a bunch o' tire kickers and price shopers who are just going to find someone else in the phonebook thats cheaper. with the added bonus of them constantly calling you and bugging you on prices and trying to beat them down

Frontier-Lawn
03-20-2009, 11:52 AM
the basic;

Frontier Lawn & Landscape
Sarasota County 941-123-4567

would run $28 per month and yes it would be free instead of the $28 if i have Verizon for my bizz phone instead of sprint :cry:

grasschopperofchicago
03-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I haven't opened a phone book in nearly 10 years!!---
If I need a number and I am out, I of course use my cell phone 411 (free)
If I am looking for a particular business locally, I am looking it up online, when I seek something it is generally online or word of mouth!
I was looking for a Scag dealer locally, I went to Scag site and then called both dealers near me. I think $313 is an expense you don't need to spend!
I personally think that money is better spent putting up signs in areas with high exposure, door hangers, equipment...I would never give out $313x12 for one ad...that is nearly a new walk behind, or a trailer (with logos) bought and paid for that will net you MORE than a phone book!!
Just one LCO's opnion

Frontier-Lawn
03-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I haven't opened a phone book in nearly 10 years!!---
If I need a number and I am out, I of course use my cell phone 411 (free)

Sorry but 411 on a cell is $1.40 per call!

JeffNY
03-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't advertise yellow pages if it were $50/mo

blind04
03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
thats pretty expensive. i have done yellow page adds in the past and gotten lots of work from them. But there is another down side to yellow page adds. Its really easy for people marketing CRAP to just look thru the yellow pages and call buisness's to market the crap they are selling. I cant stand it anymore. I get 3-4 calls a day on average from people trying to sell advertising and such other things. When i ask them where they got my number they say, "i just looked thru the yellow pages". I Hate it.

grasschopperofchicago
03-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Not all cells charge friend, well not all packages...this thread isn't about (411info) charges, however mine in fact is included in my plan!--

And a little FYI---if you want to text for "FREE" phone numbers and business info!--text GOOGLE 466453 and put in Lawn Care and zip code!...will send you FREE results as well

LBLC_LCO
03-20-2009, 12:12 PM

If I have to use 411, I dial 1-800-FREE-411 or Google now has a free 411 service: 1-800-GOOG-411

Have to listen to an ad or two, but hey, it's free.

But back on topic....$300 a month sounds like way too much. I wouldn't do it.

Proc's Lawncare
03-20-2009, 12:17 PM
WAY TO EXPENSIVE.... I don't the cost per month would drum up enough business in this type of industry to prove cost effective... Especially since most people I know, (and just like myself) use the yellow pages for things it was never intended for... Book case leveling... Fire place starter paper... etc etc...

grasschopperofchicago
03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Anyone want a trick for a lot of FREE advertising if they use Craigslist?

I have used Craigslist for years for various things, buying and selling!--and advertising my Company!--however a lot of people don't do this and don't realize it!
I type HTML as fast as I type regular text, so I am pretty good at creating pages! the HTML comes in handy so you can make keywords very very very small!!---see my other thread on Craigslist in this section to give you guys an example of two different ads!---

Okay so here is the trick!---if you are using craigslist! and you want to increase your exposure by say...25 times!!---50X---1000x!!

Think of all the lawncare keywords you could possibly muster up to post at the bottom of your ad!---otherwise you just show in your specific category...example...I put in riding lawn mowers, a guy looking for one of those I would assume is either a LCO or someone that has a yard in need of one!--so you get his attention...but here are some of the other keywords totally NOT associated with what we do, BUT!!---will bring your add up when they type it in!!

I am in Chicago, so I look at what is going on here!--- And I tag these keywords under my ad!---so guess what, I show up anytime someone searches these!---keep in mind, you can target age groups by what keywords you use too!---examples like
Bunk Bed, Crib, baby cloths, (expecting mom might not have time to cut grass!!)
Trimmers, lawn mower (just moved into home, no mower)
theatre, blue man group, house of blues, wicked (theatre goers tend to have money to spend!!)
Nickelback Concert, Cubs Tickets, Sox Tickets, Bulls Playoffs, Bears, Blues Festival, Grills, Outdoor games, Baseball, Wrigley Field, Lakefront, Homes, Foreclosures, Festivals....Opening Day, Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls, Brewers,

This are just examples but great for exposure for you guys!!...why settle for one location, maybe Joe Smith who lives in the $623,000 house won't seek lawncare on Craigslist, BUT!!---what if he is looking for tickets to see Phantom of the Opera and runs across your service!!?

shovelracer
03-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Interesting approach. Yellow pages are garbage. I needed to spend some extra money last year so I went with an ad like the poster decribed just to see for myself. Despite being a nice ad and attention getting I received 2 calls, yes 2 that referenced the ad.

First was a woman that wanted a retaining wall built from free block, yes free,she wanted the contractor to go around and pick up seconds and scraps from different yards that werent fit to sell. Of course no payment for this service. Then carry 6 pallets of it 170+ feet down a narrow walk, deck, and down 20 stairs. All material done by hand or a huge crane to lift it over house. 30 + yards of material. I think I bid around 30K, she found someone to do it for $3600 when I called back a few months later.

Second was a mulch job 45 yards all wheelbarrow, 50-200 feet from spot, customer supplied, paying $10 per yard.

Both of these were some of the worst Ive gotten in the last 6 years. Before that I had a simple number listing, I would get at least 1 call a week cause someone saw our truck and needed to find the number.

I have been looking forward for months to the day my yellow pages agent calls me to resign.

Jason Rose
03-20-2009, 03:51 PM
That's an insane price for a biz. card sized ad. Maybe they charge a LOT more in larger markets, but that's nuts. My southwestern bell yellowpages ad is about $300 per YEAR. and it's an inch high, column width with white background. The "other" yellowpages I just have a simple line listing in, and it's about $150 a year.

I agree with the others about phonebook useage. It's NOT that common anymore, but the yellowpages sales people will try to lead you to believe differently.

jkilov
03-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Only used phone book advertising once.

12 months and NOT A SINGLE CALL! What a waste of money.

Your basic flyer turned out 10x more cost-effective.

vinny69
03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
way to much

honeydopm
03-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I pay $250 a month for a dollar bill sized ad and have had numerous calls but they have all been people wondering if im hiring. My first year advertising so im not sure if it is worth it or not yet but as of now if i could get out i would. $3000 a year could be spent in much better ways but it should be good for exposure if nothing else.

Frontier-Lawn
03-21-2009, 10:16 AM
any thoughts on the $27 per month one then?

fool32696
03-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Spend the money on improving your website and the SEO. It will pay off. Don't give phone books ANY of your money. I had a bad experience with my Embarq salesman this year and I won't be doing any yellow page advertising in the future!

Carolina Cuts
03-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd consider $313/month if they gave me the cover or even the back cover.... my ad would def. be better looking then the goofy attorney that has it now...

THC
03-22-2009, 09:05 PM
For what it's worth...

I have a brother in law that built his businesses on Yellow Page ads. but it's for Carpet cleaning.

He believes in dominating with full page ads, coupon books etc. He keeps all his numbers and has been very successful for about 20 years. He just recently got a webpage.

fool32696
03-23-2009, 11:20 AM
15 years ago only a small percentage of people had regular access to the web. I hope your friend realizes that he slowly needs to start spending that big yellow page money on his online campaign.

PLS-Tx
03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
I think you guys have saved us some $. We do use the yp, but it only costs us $280 a year, for a 1/2 ad with white background.

We were thinking about going with a larger ad this year, we were having second thoughts, but after reading all this I think we will stay with what we have.

charris05
03-23-2009, 05:02 PM
In our age of technology, the phone book is a thing of the past. Take 600.00 twice a year and buy a small billboard( 20x20) with CBS outdoor and you will be shocked how may people see it. The issue is that marketing is all about consistently delivery a message. I am in New Orleans and I run TV, Biilboards, Street Car signs and due direct mail which I map out a plan for 12-16 months and track the results. As the result provide the feedback, I review the plan and make the adjustments.