PDA

View Full Version : Customer States Alot of estimates

dewos
03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I was wondering what you guys think when you guys when you get a call from someone that says I have alot of estimates coming to look at this job. I hardly never get the job the person always seems to be looking for the cheapest and fastest. But I go give them anyway pretty much knowing that there is no point.

Proc's Lawncare
03-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Exactly... Its a waste of time... Maybe try pre screening them with a few questions before going out there. Ask them if they've used a lawn care service before...What there expectations are and what services they need... We have had a few people tell me whoever gives me the cheapest price gets it... We then tell them good luck and they'll find exactly what they are looking for! They are then suprised as to when we are ready to hang up the phone and are saying "well.. arent you going to come give me a price and compete" and we politely tell them no, they ill get exactly what they are paying for and if they would like a legit company to come and service there lawn we are in the price range of XX and XX per trip, let us know if we can be of future service to you!

ford550
03-20-2009, 07:05 PM
When we pre-screen on the phone and they say something like that.........we say thank you for calling and have a nice day, click.

kootoomootoo
03-20-2009, 07:31 PM
You cant afford me ....click.

richallseasons
03-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I dont think that you can really label a person based on that statement, they are just being honest. do you think because Joe homeowner does not say that to you it means that they have not gotten other estimates? stop being consumed with what others are doing and go about your process, you might just suprise yourself by landing a job.

71ragtopgoat
03-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Don't you guys haggle for anything or do you just always pay the asking price.
Boy would I love to sell cars and homes to you guys. Me if I have a customer who wants a rebid the following year I give him one. Darn I even break it down by Item if it's a big account. I find that when I list what I do item by item most of the other guys cant compete. Competition is the American way.
:usflag:

ford550
03-21-2009, 08:26 AM
I dont think that you can really label a person based on that statement, they are just being honest. do you think because Joe homeowner does not say that to you it means that they have not gotten other estimates? stop being consumed with what others are doing and go about your process, you might just suprise yourself by landing a job

I can label a person that way. I have been in the business for over 15 years and 9 times out of 10 that person is exactly getting too many bids. There is no reason to get that many unless they are pricing. And for the 1 you do get doesn't make up for all the lost and unpaid time that was spent on the other 9.

bohiaa
03-21-2009, 09:37 AM
LMAO..... I get calls sometimes, where they say, I want my free estimate.
I always inform the person at that point, that were full up for the season.
For some reason. " in my area anyway" People think there REALLY getting something for free.

DLCS
03-21-2009, 12:09 PM
I know where you guys are coming from as I get the same thing, "we are getting more than one quote, I'll get back to you". But...When I have something done to my property, most times I get more thna one quote too, I want to see what others have to offer and compare estimates/quotes. Rarely do i ever just go with the cheapest, how proffesional, and how they conduct themselves is a selling point for me. So keep in mind that not all customers are looking for price.

dewos
03-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I know where you guys are coming from as I get the same thing, "we are getting more than one quote, I'll get back to you". But...When I have something done to my property, most times I get more thna one quote too, I want to see what others have to offer and compare estimates/quotes. Rarely do i ever just go with the cheapest, how proffesional, and how they conduct themselves is a selling point for me. So keep in mind that not all customers are looking for price.

I tell people to get qoutes sometimes but i can see three this lady had 9 people coming out to look at it.

grandview (2006)
03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Sometimes it depends on what they are looking for. If it's lawn cutting I'll see if I have and thing close by. If it is I might bump up the bid and then lower it to my regular price if they sign up right away or a little less if I can save on drive time.

Same with mulching if it's a small job and I have a few of them I'll tell them I'll give them a deal if they sign right away . They don't need to know that I get a bigger discount on bigger mulch purchases and that I'm making more if I had only been doing theirs.

LB1234
03-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I was wondering what you guys think when you guys when you get a call from someone that says I have alot of estimates coming to look at this job.

I think a lot depends on the type of job/service. For just simple lawn maintenance, I agree, what's the point, there are always people lower than me. What I try and do (if I actually feel like quoting) is obtaining an email address. Instead of drafting a contract I just send them a simple three liner that I can cut and paste from another email and just explain if your interested contact me. Really no waste of time...of course I don't go visit the property until I actually have something else going on in that area. No need to waste time/money on something I have little confidence in. If they call me, then they are interested if not my price was probablly way over what they've been quoted by others. no loss.

If its a large hardscape or landscape install, yes I'd like to give it a shot. I'm willing to put a little time into something that may be worth 10, 15, 20k as opposed to something that is 40 bucks a week cutting with no additional services. Chances are for these jobs you may be able to educate the customer a little on what differentiates you from the competition. Hard to do that with simple lawn care.

AI Inc
03-22-2009, 11:41 AM
I always ask them why they are still looking. Ive sold jobs to people who already had 7 esimates because they did not like the contractors, it isnt always price.

Lux Lawn
03-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Sometimes you can tell on the phone if they are price shopping and are going to go with the cheapest price...sometimes you need to sell yourself and the job to get it.
But I try to judge on the phone if its in their price range before going out to look.

KGR landscapeing
03-23-2009, 08:08 AM
One of you askd do you haggle. Not always Because when i am looking for some thing say a new kitchen or bathroom or something I am going to call the a person who i trust. Or like garage doors i work with a place calld automatic door they never screw me and intern i dont need to make 20 calls.