PDA

View Full Version : First Dumb Phone Call Of The Season!

Proc's Lawncare
03-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Well... It's offcially spring! Just got off the phone with our first dumb@** of the year!!

Customer called for our "lowest priced lawn service" and when I told him about our company and service provided that we could come out and give him a free estimate and he basically wanted a ballpark price... (Which is fine and saved me a little drive time) After the quote, he proceeded to tell me I am a horrible business trying to take hard earned dollars from the community I live in... Bla blah blah... I should be ashamed of myself and how could I expect someone to pay this much and it should be the same price as a hair cut...no more then $9-$10 dollars a week! Blah blah blah... What do I have to say for myself....

I politely told them we offer an excellent service at a fair price and that we have a special discount program available for people just like him... He paused, and asked what that price was and I added $20 dollars to the original quote per week!

To my surprise he hung up the phone....

Gotta love spring!! :) Anyone else have an interesting call or estimate yet?!

Please_Be_Green
03-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Well... It's offcially spring! Just got off the phone with our first dumb@** of the year!!

Customer called for our "lowest priced lawn service" and when I told him about our company and service provided that we could come out and give him a free estimate and he basically wanted a ballpark price... (Which is fine and saved me a little drive time) After the quote, he proceeded to tell me I am a horrible business trying to take hard earned dollars from the community I live in... Bla blah blah... I should be ashamed of myself and how could I expect someone to pay this much and it should be the same price as a hair cut...no more then $9-$10 dollars a week! Blah blah blah... What do I have to say for myself....

I politely told them we offer an excellent service at a fair price and that we have a special discount program available for people just like him... He paused, and asked what that price was and I added $20 dollars to the original quote per week!

I've got to wonder... how many potential customer's do you think you won't even get the call from by being a smarta$$ with just one of them? While funny to read... I don't think it's good business.

Jason Rose
03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Potential PITA calls, and usually you can weed them out over the phone, I just state that "sorry, my schedule is already full right now, I just can't take on any more". They appreciate it because at least I'm not telling them I'm going to come give and estimate and not show. If they ask for the usual "ballpark price over the phone" BS I just say that I can't come close unless I can see the lawn. The people with common sence say "ok" the people that are just looking for CHEAP lawn service will then start describing their lawn to me over the phone, and it usually starts with "It's a really small lawn". :laugh:

QualityLawnCare4u
03-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Pardon me, but when you get some idiotic moron bottomfeeder calling and talking to you like that( insulting you) and wanting a 9-10 dollar cut these are the folks that need to be insulted. I am a nice a person as you could meet but I can't stand stupid and you can't fix it! I think he was nicer than 99% of most folks including me would have been!

DLCS
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
When they ask for a "ball park price", I simply tell them that we don't mow "ball parks".

The people that this guy will tell about you being sarcastic, are not the customers that you want. But more than likely his friends probably know that he is a cheap arse. Wouldn't worry me one bit.

GreenmanCT
03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
When they ask for a "ball park price", I simply tell them that we don't mow "ball parks".

The people that this guy will tell about you being sarcastic, are not the customers that you want. But more than likely his friends probably know that he is a cheap arse. Wouldn't worry me one bit.

ha i thought that was pretty funny.

billslawn89
03-20-2009, 02:06 PM

that was beautiful! i gotta remember that one! :laugh:

i'm getting just about the same thing, people want to know a price over the phone, i say, can't give an accurate one without looking at your property, then they say o.k and hang up... they are just looking for the cheapest price...clients like that, i don't want anyways! pita's!

punt66
03-20-2009, 02:14 PM
I've got to wonder... how many potential customer's do you think you won't even get the call from by being a smarta$$ with just one of them? While funny to read... I don't think it's good business.

Oh BS. He did the right thing. I do that as well and my schedule is full. That is not the kind of customer i want on my list either. I dont give those people the time of day.

Please_Be_Green
03-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh BS. He did the right thing. I do that as well and my schedule is full. That is not the kind of customer i want on my list either. I dont give those people the time of day.

Funny how everyone complains on the board abut PITA clients... but every other thread is about losing customer and how bad the economy is.

If I were cutt'n for a living... I'd rather have a PITA customer then none.

It's a customer service related business... if you don't have good customer service you won't ever reach your potential. Don't underestimate the power of word of mouth... and just like the original poster thought it was a funny or to rant, I'm sure the "potential" customer will be telling a few folks about it, but from their side of the fence.

Just for the record... I'm a home owner and I'd be damn sure to tell everyone that I possibly could tell.. that "XYZ LCO" is unprofessional. Don't hire them.

Just my professional .02.

Proc's Lawncare
03-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Funny how everyone complains on the board abut PITA clients... but every other thread is about losing customer and how bad the economy is.

It's a customer service related business... if you don't have good customer service you won't ever reach your potential. Don't underestimate the power of word of mouth... and just like the original poster thought it was a funny or to rant, I'm sure the "potential" customer will be telling a few folks about it, but from their side of the fence.

Just for the record... I'm a home owner and I'd be damn sure to tell everyone that I possibly I could tell that "XYZ LCO" is unprofessional. Don't hire them.

Very true and good point.... I am always polite and "mostly" professional... However you need to know when a jerk is a jerk and I would not worry about all the $9 dollar cuts I will miss from this person and his friends... Birds of a feather flock together.... I can give you his address and name if you would like to come cut his lawn?!?!

Please_Be_Green
03-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I can give you his address and name if you would like to come cut his lawn?!?!

LOL.... I'll load up the mini-van and be right over. Would I be considered a low baller?

Proc's Lawncare
03-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Not sure... Whats a hair cut cost in your neck of the woods... .75 cents?! lol

DLCS
03-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Not sure... Whats a hair cut cost in your neck of the woods... .75 cents?! lol

:laugh::laugh: Good one.

DLCS
03-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Just for the record... I'm a home owner and I'd be damn sure to tell everyone that I possibly could tell.. that "XYZ LCO" is unprofessional. Don't hire them.

Just for the record.....I'm a homeowner too. :rolleyes: I would never call up a contractor of any trade and talk to them as was described in the original post. Would you call someone up and be so rude? I think if I acted like the caller did then I would be expecting to be put in my place. Just because you own your business doesn't mean that you bite your lip when verbally abused. Maybe you are one who does this sort of thing and no one ever put you in your place?

ALC-GregH
03-20-2009, 05:07 PM
2 sides to every story. There is a time to be firm with the general public when talking to them one on one. Even if your not a business owner, you should have the respect for the other party. In this case, the other party came out from the gate being rude. Had he been more polite, he would have most likely been treated with some respect and this thread wouldn't be here.

I'll always be polite even to the worst people out there for 2 reasons, 1) It was mentioned earlier "word of mouth", if you uphold a polite clean image, it won't matter what 1 person says about you when everyone else knows the kind of person you truly are. 2) I get the satisfaction of "killing them with kindness" when they feel the need to insult me or verbally abuse me. The after math in there head (not always but sometimes) will get to them and make them feel somewhat guilty of the whole issue they may of had with you.

I worked as a auto tech for 30 years and I had to deal with the general public everyday of my life. I've seen just about every kind of person you could imagine. I learned early that the best way to deal with them is be nice no matter what. I've turned situations around that were way out of hand where the customer said they'll never bring their car back here again (not because of me) to them paying 2,3 and as much as 4k for big engine jobs that they would have otherwise take somewhere else to get purchased and installed. Simply by being calm, honest and polite yet somewhat firm. When your in retail, you ALWAYS have to be nice to people, after all, they ARE the ones that allow you to have a job. When you buy something, you become the general public. You don't go in acting like your the only person there, get smart with the guy trying to help, use foul language in front of them, do you? I sure don't. If a cashier was rude and obnoxious with you, would you report them to the manager? I would. Same goes for anyone of you when you own a business. They will complain to the owner/manager. If your good, you can resolve the issue and still make good on the customer. Maybe not always but if you put forth the effort, it will pay off in the end.

Why in the heck did I just type all this on LS. shakes head.

Paul's LC
03-20-2009, 05:25 PM
yah some people simply just dont understand OVERHEAD. haha

fl-landscapes
03-20-2009, 05:34 PM

I would say from the tone of this persons voice and language It's highly unlikely he would be giving anything but a bad review for anyone willing to listen anyway. His tone was much more harsh prior to the wise a$$ comment.

punt66
03-20-2009, 05:46 PM

Interesting. Because all my business is word of mouth. I dont advertise. I dont give people who want something for nothing the time of day. Why? Because they dont care if i can feed my family or pay my mortgage. Why take work that pays less then other work? As a home owner would you expect your lawn mowed by a professional with tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, fuel, and labor for $10 a cut? I am in business to support my family not yours. So go tell your friends your half of the story.

topsites
03-20-2009, 05:51 PM
I suppose, one solution...
Is to suggest nicely that they talk around the neighborhood and find a high school kid wanting to do it.

punt66
03-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I suppose, one solution...
Is to suggest nicely that they talk around the neighborhood and find a high school kid wanting to do it.
Thats usually my line. " I think your looking for a neighborhood kid"

QualityLawnCare4u
03-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Just for the record... I'm a home owner and I'd be damn sure to tell everyone that I possibly I could tell that "XYZ LCO" is unprofessional. Don't hire them.

Very true and good point.... I am always polite and "mostly" professional... However you need to know when a jerk is a jerk and I would not worry about all the $9 dollar cuts I will miss from this person and his friends... Birds of a feather flock together.... I can give you his address and name if you would like to come cut his lawn?!?!

when a jerk is a jerk and I would not worry about all the $9 dollar cuts I will miss from this person and his friends... Birds of a feather flock together.... I can give you his address and name if you would like

Exactly!! I have learned many times that usually good clients have good friends and PITA have the same.

Please_Be_Green
03-20-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't understand the response...

Maybe you are one who does this sort of thing and no one ever put you in your place?

What does that mean? Does what sort of thing? Who would put me in my place?

As a consumer I wouldn't verbally assault a contractor.
As a business owner I personally wouldn't belittle a PITA potential customer.

I also disagree with your comment "Just because you own your business doesn't mean that you bite your lip when verbally abused." As a business owner, I do bite my lip and depending on the situation I would either gracefully dismiss the situation or bite my own lip, hard enough to draw blood, if it was in my best financial interest.

And, I guess no one ever has "Put me in my place", because I attempt to act professional and am in my place (whatever place that maybe) by choice.

Woody82986
03-20-2009, 08:12 PM
If I get no respect... I give none in return. It's that simple. A-holes get an a-hole response. If I had someone who was angry with my pricing, and stated his case for why a lawn cut should only be $10 and then asked why I charged what I charged, then I might enlighten him as to the many hidden expenses a small business owner incurs that nobody ever thinks about that all gets added into the price of a professional lawn maintenance cut. All I can do is be honest. A-holes that waste my time and who get rude with me will get treated in kind. I don't need that kind of business.
For those of you who say that a PITA is better than no clients... well look at it from a casual observers point of view rather than yours or the PITA. If I see someone working for an a-hole who I know complains and whines, and is rude to the point of being an a-hole, then I would begin to wonder what's wrong with the guy providing services for the a-hole. An A-hole can cost you business either way. I personally don't want to spend my time in this world dealing with people like that. This world is about way more than monetary gain.

topsites
03-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Thats usually my line. " I think your looking for a neighborhood kid"

Yeah, I mean...
And believe me, it eats me ALIVE and I get so angry somedays, but watch out!

I had to learn this one the hard way, you don't want to be rude even to the
biggest jerk out there, no matter how rightfully they might deserve it.
Because I almost lost my business talking smack to folks like that...

And the part that really bothered me isn't that, since I knew it was my own dang fault anyhow.

One part that bothered me is that I had probably hurt business for other locals.

And that I had posted this stuff all over LS and thus possibly led other business owners
to believe this was the right way to act, also possibly costing other Lco's their business.

That bothered me for a bit of a while, and to think how in a karma way of things it would come back on me.

That sucked, still kind of does.

Busa_bill
03-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Life is too short to be burdened with unreasonable people. It's your business, run it the way you want to.

I have no time for complainers, cheapo's, chatter boxes, and especially those that show indifference to quality.

kaferhaus
03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I just give them my most hated competitior's phone number.

Please_Be_Green
03-20-2009, 09:06 PM
If I get no respect... I give none in return. It's that simple. A-holes get an a-hole response. If I had someone who was angry with my pricing, and stated his case for why a lawn cut should only be $10 and then asked why I charged what I charged, then I might enlighten him as to the many hidden expenses a small business owner incurs that nobody ever thinks about that all gets added into the price of a professional lawn maintenance cut. All I can do is be honest. A-holes that waste my time and who get rude with me will get treated in kind. I don't need that kind of business.
For those of you who say that a PITA is better than no clients... well look at it from a casual observers point of view rather than yours or the PITA. If I see someone working for an a-hole who I know complains and whines, and is rude to the point of being an a-hole, then I would begin to wonder what's wrong with the guy providing services for the a-hole. An A-hole can cost you business either way. I personally don't want to spend my time in this world dealing with people like that. This world is about way more than monetary gain.

Yeah.. but your from Texas.. so you don't count... LOL

I'd be affraid Chuck Norris would jump out from behind a tree.

Please_Be_Green
03-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I mean...
And believe me, it eats me ALIVE and I get so angry somedays, but watch out!

I had to learn this one the hard way, you don't want to be rude even to the
biggest jerk out there, no matter how rightfully they might deserve it.
Because I almost lost my business talking smack to folks like that...

And the part that really bothered me isn't that, since I knew it was my own dang fault anyhow.

One part that bothered me is that I had probably hurt business for other locals.

And that I had posted this stuff all over LS and thus possibly led other business owners
to believe this was the right way to act, also possibly costing other Lco's their business.

That bothered me for a bit of a while, and to think how in a karma way of things it would come back on me.

That sucked, still kind of does.

I think you got/get what I'm trying to point out... I'm not pointing fingers. I'm just making an observation... and your point about posting this all over LS is priceless... This is an open forum, some of you are very open about who you are and your operation name. Think before you post.

maintenanceman
03-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Many good comments! Hey I've lost my cool a few times, but not many. Every time I lose my composure I'm upset that I let anyone cause me to act in an unprofessional way. The way you behave defines who you are, so be careful out there!! When you deal with the public you have to be able to smile and roll with the punches. It's not personal, it's just part of the job. If you don't like dealing with the public then you can work on an assembly line, the sewage plant, construction, etc. Otherwise enjoy the freedom this business allows and keep smiling. . .

Woody82986
03-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah.. but your from Texas.. so you don't count... LOL

I'd be affraid Chuck Norris would jump out from behind a tree.

Hahaha, I was just about to add that maybe we do things a bit differently here in Texas.

punt66
03-21-2009, 12:29 AM
I think you got/get what I'm trying to point out... I'm not pointing fingers. I'm just making an observation... and your point about posting this all over LS is priceless... This is an open forum, some of you are very open about who you are and your operation name. Think before you post.

Posting what all over lawnsite? That we wont work for free? That we can be rude if a customer is rude? Please. Mr Home owner, get off your high horse and take a dose of reality. A successful business is from hard work and loyal customers. Those are not cheap skates and a#$holes. I have more work then i can handle and none are with pitas. So if people want to kiss A%$ and beg for work thats their choice. People call me because of referrals. I did a quote today on a spring cleanup, 100' privacy fence and a burm with planting. She accepted the contract on the spot and told me their neighbor (my customer) raved about me and my work. I am not speaking for all here but work speaks for itself. You can smooth talk all you want but if your work isnt up to par then you have nothing. If your work is top notch then you will be sought after and wont need to beg for work.

Roger
03-21-2009, 08:05 AM
This is one more thread that really helps the image of the LCO. NOT! Name-calling, revenge, disrespect, ... and even more, with the most casual reading. Return to read this thread when somebody believes the LCO is "just the grass cutter." There is plenty of reasons given here for the customer base to be weary of those offering lawn care services, and puts the LCO low on the scale.

Maybe this thread will degrade further, like the one a few weeks ago that classed LCOs into three categories. That thread went in the trash bin, and maybe this one will also.

punt66
03-21-2009, 09:30 AM
This is one more thread that really helps the image of the LCO. NOT! Name-calling, revenge, disrespect, ... and even more, with the most casual reading. Return to read this thread when somebody believes the LCO is "just the grass cutter." There is plenty of reasons given here for the customer base to be weary of those offering lawn care services, and puts the LCO low on the scale.

Maybe this thread will degrade further, like the one a few weeks ago that classed LCOs into three categories. That thread went in the trash bin, and maybe this one will also.

Oh how is that? Revenge? where is the revenge? Who called their customers names? No disrespect as long as its mutual. Nothing un unsual here. This is a discussion. What doesnt help the image of an lco is letting customers talk down to you and you standing there taking your lashes and mowing for $10. I think a big problem with some of you is your work isnt up to par. If it was you would be sought after.

RocketLab
03-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Well,
if the customer can bring his lawn to your place of business. Sit it down in the chair and it be about the size of a head then $9-10 may be appropriate.

I hear what some are saying about professionalism and word of mouth but with someone so unreasonable anyone who he (the customer) relayed this conversation to would have to shake their head at this person's misguided indignation.

DLAWNS
03-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Wow, you started quite the debate! I think your response was just fine. I agree with some of the points about professionalism. I stress professionalism and a near perfect image for my company....however there are just some people that don't deserve the respect that most do. If someone is going to talk down to me like a child and ask "what do I have to say for myself" your damn right he is going to get a smart as* answer back. I'm not worried about the couple of people that he tells. Chances are that they already know how he is anyway.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Wow, you started quite the debate! I think your response was just fine. I agree with some of the points about professionalism. I stress professionalism and a near perfect image for my company....however there are just some people that don't deserve the respect that most do. If someone is going to talk down to me like a child and ask "what do I have to say for myself" your damn right he is going to get a smart as* answer back. I'm not worried about the couple of people that he tells. Chances are that they already know how he is anyway.

Once again, I agree with this 100% and this is the same exact way I feel. I am well known for my politeness or usually being to polite. But this caller deserves no respect.

Proc's Lawncare
03-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Ya this one call got a lot of attention! Very good points on both sides of the fence here, I would like to stress that I am always polite... Almost too polite, but once this guy started talking down to me, the call was done... I would never let anyone talk to anyone in my family this way and I sure as heck wasn't about to let someone talk down to me and my business standards this way... So in a polite, sarcasstic, well placed tone... I told him it would be an extra $20 bucks, might as well get paid more if I have to hear more! I wouldn't take a customer like this, nor would I let someone tell me how I should run my life and business, even if EVERY customer I had and will have heard this guy and lost all of my business and i was broke, I could always go flip burgers at McDonalds.... Better then having someone else rule over me!

Again, thanks for all the input, didn't realize I would be opening pandora's box here on a thread, but I liked what everyone had to add! Thanks guys!

punt66
03-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Ya this one call got a lot of attention! Very good points on both sides of the fence here, I would like to stress that I am always polite... Almost too polite, but once this guy started talking down to me, the call was done... I would never let anyone talk to anyone in my family this way and I sure as heck wasn't about to let someone talk down to me and my business standards this way... So in a polite, sarcasstic, well placed tone... I told him it would be an extra $20 bucks, might as well get paid more if I have to hear more! I wouldn't take a customer like this, nor would I let someone tell me how I should run my life and business, even if EVERY customer I had and will have heard this guy and lost all of my business and i was broke, I could always go flip burgers at McDonalds.... Better then having someone else rule over me!

Again, thanks for all the input, didn't realize I would be opening pandora's box here on a thread, but I liked what everyone had to add! Thanks guys!
I did that with a plow estimate last season. The guy wanted an estimate. I went there and he was complaing the guy he had last year went up from 30 to 35 after the fuel costs were high. I have a 35 min for plowing anyhow. I asked him if his guy did a good job and was timely. He said yes. I said $50.

Big Bad Bob
03-21-2009, 10:31 PM

What?????? Do you really think this PITA was going to be a good source of good referrals? :hammerhead::dizzy:

deere615
03-21-2009, 10:36 PM
added a special discount HA thats funny

Big Bad Bob
03-21-2009, 10:48 PM

You sound like the kind of person who would be a source of good referrals too. I don't want customers like you. There are those who would give their right arm and their business for a customer like you so don't come to me. Just keep changing LCO's every year over price and because the last one went out of business because "you just can't make money in this business.". Well, believe it or not, lawncare is a luxury and some are willing to pay for it as such. So sorry you can't afford my service.