PDA

View Full Version : What if single axle breaks?

Turfcutters Plus
03-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Would my enclosed pace american trailer get damaged if the axle broke?It's a 2990# axle.I'll keep it greased of course,and drive with caution.When it is full,total weight i carry is 1700 or less.Axle is rated 2000#.Thanks for any in-put!:confused:

Duffster
03-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Would my enclosed pace american trailer get damaged if the axle broke?It's a 2990# axle.I'll keep it greased of course,and drive with caution.When it is full,total weight i carry is 1700 or less.Axle is rated 2000#.Thanks for any in-put!:confused:

You have nothing to worry about

South Florida Lawns
03-20-2009, 05:12 PM
how much does that trailer weigh empty? I have severely overloaded all my trailers and the worst I have ever done was blow tires and break studs.

cantoo
03-22-2009, 09:43 PM
I have an Pace American Outback model trailer, it's a 6'x12' single axle and an 08 model. I bought it used, the last owner hauled books in it. I hauled 2 street bikes to Florida in it. We hit a decent pothole going thru Cincinnati on the way down. This drove the axle U bolt up into the frame and kinked the main frame on both sides. When we got to Florida I checked things out closely. Both sets of leaf springs were almost flat now and 1 side actually had several cracks in the leafs. I replaced them myself with 2000 lb springs. Trip home was uneventful, everything worked fine. I will be reselling the trailer and getting a better one, sometimes you get what you pay for. This model of trailer is not an everyday use trailer and don't plan on carring any weight in it either. The cross members were also bowed down pretty good and I have a steel frame that my bikes sit on so it's not like the weight was on one spot.
I build my own open trailers and was planning on building an enclosed but run out of time before our trip and this one seemed like a decent deal considering it was pretty much new.
Might want to actually check your loaded weight on a set of scales I bet you will be surprised and likely over the recommended weight too.

seabee1
03-23-2009, 04:13 PM
if it breaks you got to much on it !!!!! watch your load capacity ! it will hit the ground . :hammerhead: if you don't have a scale check how much room between the frame and Axel the springs shouldn't be flat they have to move and cycle .especially if the shackles are laid flat to the rear .