PDA

View Full Version : Zoysia Hydroseeding

fl-landscapes
03-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Just a quick photo of some zoysia hydroseeding we did yesterday. And want to thank Ray at Turbo Turf for being so helpful in purchasing our new TT 500 Hybrid. I'll post more pics as it comes in. Zoysia it may take a while

2brothersyardcare
03-20-2009, 04:09 PM
lets see the seeder

fl-landscapes
03-20-2009, 04:38 PM
lets see the seeder

I'll show you both. The revitilizer (seeder) we used to tear out the old lawn and prep as well as the hydro unit

fl-landscapes
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
you can see in the pic with the revitilizer the landscape was destroyed by frost

2brothersyardcare
03-20-2009, 07:21 PM
nice stuff

fl-landscapes
03-20-2009, 10:05 PM
nice stuff

Thanks 2brothers

jg244888
03-20-2009, 10:07 PM
how many pennies does that puppy cost?

Tony Clifton
03-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Have you ever seeded zoysia before?

I am borderline lawsuit on a hydroseeding job with Zenith Zoysia.

Turboguy
03-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Nice photos and a great job of hydro seeding. That is as nice a job as I have seen. Hopefully you will have great results.

how many pennies does that puppy cost?

it is $ 9500 jg

fl-landscapes
03-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Have you ever seeded zoysia before?

I am borderline lawsuit on a hydroseeding job with Zenith Zoysia.

Not sure anyone has a lot of experience with seeding zoysia. But I did use compadre because it germinates and fills in quicker than zenith. I'll post pics of the progress. What was the lawsuit based on? Did it not come in?

fl-landscapes
03-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Nice photos and a great job of hydro seeding. That is as nice a job as I have seen. Hopefully you will have great results.

it is $ 9500 jg

Thanks ray. I'm hoping for great results. Time will tell. I mixed rye in as a nurse plant do to the slow growth habit of the zoysia to help out compete the weeds and shade the seedlings until the zoysia gets going. The rye will burn out with the heat here when it warms up. Thanks again Ray for all your help.

Turboguy
03-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I have been around hydroseeding a long time and probably between my business and my involment with the hydro seeding association talk to more hydroseeders than most and a law suit involving hydroseeding is very unusual. Sorry to hear about that and I hope it works out ok. I am with FL, it would be interesting to know more about what they based the lawsuit on.

jg244888
03-21-2009, 01:13 PM
How long does it take till its a full lawn?

luis@NJ
03-21-2009, 01:16 PM
FL Looks real good! is your roll-off air brakes?

fl-landscapes
03-21-2009, 01:38 PM

Yes full air brakes 33,000 gvw cdl. Use the hydro mounted in one. Have two others for big clean up work and moving materials like plants and mulch. The roll off comes in real handy when I need different things in different places. Just drop one and go to the next.

fl-landscapes
03-21-2009, 01:41 PM

First zoysia hydro job. But they say seed actually comes in faster than sprigs or plugs due to the higher amount of plants. Zoysia is slow growing in general. I used compadre which is faster to germinate and also faster to establish. Should have seedlings wiyhin two weeks but it may take a full season to get a real thick turf. We'll see. I will post pics of the progress.

Sorry that was the wrong quote. I was answering JG's question about establishment

lilwill12
06-16-2009, 09:10 AM
How is this yard looking? Curious I intend to renovate my yard this fall or spring.

Will

fl-landscapes
06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
How is this yard looking? Curious I intend to renovate my yard this fall or spring.

Will

I thought this thread was dead:laugh: Truthfully the zoysia did not come out great. But was a good learning experience for me. Two things went wrong. First I seeded it too early and the soil temps were not high enough for zoysia seed. Secondly I seeded it with a nurse grass (annual rye) not a good idea according to most technical data I have researched since says not to seed zosia with a nurse grass for several reasons now I know why. I ended up killing it all again and going with a bermuda mix. I would still like to try zoysia hydro again in the future under better practices but the bermuda lawns I have been spraying are so nice I am pushing that now.

Tony Clifton
06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
See post # 8

Had to go back and reseed at a huge expense to me. This time we had a nicely prepped topsoil to seed instead of the crap that we were forced to seed on this time. Water 1x per hour for about 5 min. with rotors from 7 or 8AM until 5 or 6PM and the seed is coming in nicely.
People think hydroseed and they think the seed will come in no matter what. It all depends on grass type but it is nearly impossible to get it through their heads that hydroseeding Fescue or Rye is waaaayyyy different than Zoysia or Centipede.

fl-landscapes
06-16-2009, 07:56 PM
See post # 8

Had to go back and reseed at a huge expense to me. This time we had a nicely prepped topsoil to seed instead of the crap that we were forced to seed on this time. Water 1x per hour for about 5 min. with rotors from 7 or 8AM until 5 or 6PM and the seed is coming in nicely.
People think hydroseed and they think the seed will come in no matter what. It all depends on grass type but it is nearly impossible to get it through their heads that hydroseeding Fescue or Rye is waaaayyyy different than Zoysia or Centipede.

fescue and rye you could practically throw on top of the ground and it would grow. Never done centepede but the zoysia is a tough one for sure. From this first experience I think I learned a few key things about seeding zoysia which will give me better results next time IF I can't talk someone out of it. Truthfully if they are stuck on zoysia the yards here are small enough I would just tell them to sod it. I do remember your post at the time but what was a going to do I can't chicken out of every job that seems complicated. You live you learn....sometimes the hard way.

Tony Clifton
06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to discourage you, I was more interested in your results.
I have never hydroseeded those either, but I imagine you could spray them on asphalt and they would germinate.