PDA

View Full Version : St. Augustine stripes

Jason'sLawnCare
03-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Hello everyone,

It's been a little while since I posted anything so I thought I would share a picture with everybody. This is a picture of my neighbor's lawn taken from the golf course behind there house. The house to the right is mine. I think for st. augustine the stripes don't look too bad.

South Florida Lawns
03-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow thats great for down here. Thats with the 42" deck right? I never mess with stripes though takes too much time trying to go in a perfect line. My machine doesn't leave any lines just a nice smooth carpet look.

Collegepro
03-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Is that with your Walker

Jason'sLawnCare
03-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for your replies and compliments. Yes it is with the walker with the 42in deck.

tamadrummer
03-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Wow thats great for down here. Thats with the 42" deck right? I never mess with stripes though takes too much time trying to go in a perfect line. My machine doesn't leave any lines just a nice smooth carpet look.

Same here. I see JD stripes from up north and think WOW but here no dice.

Nice work. I am kind of glad I don't have really visible stripes because I don't go super straight all the time so it would look like a drunk guy mowing after I drive all over to get the clippings down and mulched.

Jason'sLawnCare
03-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks man. I don't know if you have read previous post of mine but as I've said then it only turns out that defined under ideal conditions. From the other side, if I were to have taken the picture with my back against the house it wouldn't look as defined.

Also most of the time it does take a little longer to get them straight but I was just mowing mine and my neighbor's lawn and they are my relaxing lawns. Normally I cut with my dad but for these two I mow by myself and just take my time and enjoy so I don't mind spending the extra time on these two. I don't think I would do this for every lawn though.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
03-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks man. I don't know if you have read previous post of mine but as I've said then it only turns out that defined under ideal conditions. From the other side, if I were to have taken the picture with my back against the house it wouldn't look as defined.

Also most of the time it does take a little longer to get them straight but I was just mowing mine and my neighbor's lawn and they are my relaxing lawns. Normally I cut with my dad but for these two I mow by myself and just take my time and enjoy so I don't mind spending the extra time on these two. I don't think I would do this for every lawn though.

Come on Jason:nono: You got that mower, don't just mow with it. Make something Special!!! It's not all work with a Walker, just got through with mine 2 hrs staight. Grabbed a brew and wish I had more to cut:laugh:
St. Aug looks good though:)

theguynextdoor
03-21-2009, 05:22 PM
How close to the banks of the water did you get with the walker? Would it tip if you tried to mow the bank or do you use a trimmer?

billslawn89
03-21-2009, 07:25 PM
only time i got stripes on st augustine with my turf tiger was when the grass started to dry out this past fall. i thought that was pretty cool, i sure miss cutting the blue grass up north making stripes!

South Florida Lawns
03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah thats when I can get some good stripes down, with tall dry grass, they become really defiant. I kinda wan't a walker, they leave an amazing cut and the machines are so neat. I have a neighbor that switched lawn services to a guy that has a walker. Just in a few months the yard has become thicker and all the ruts have gone away. The cut is perfect too.

Jason'sLawnCare
03-22-2009, 06:31 PM
I mow about a foot to a foot and a half away from the water with the walker and trim the rest. On banks I've never had the feeling it was going to tip just if the ground is the least bit moist it will slide more than I would like. It's easy to work around that though. Just mow farther away from the water and if I feel it slipping try I try to get the deck towards the water so it doesn't go in. I do that because there is much more traction going backwards as I'm sure everybody has heard that about walkers.

Thanks for the compliment chestnut. I know it's not all work. I was just saying I take my sweet time on my lawn and my neighbors lawn because I don't have somebody with the trimmer setting the pace, I do it all by myself. Funny that you get a brew when you're done mowing. My drink of choice after I mow is some peach snapple. I love that stuff.

Kennedy Landscaping
03-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I can't wait to get out and make some stripes! Won't be long at all though