PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper or Ferris

Cajun Country Lawn Care
03-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Looking at either the Grasshopper Model 223, 52 inch 23 kohler or the Ferris IS 1500 Z with the 48 inch cut 21 kawasaki. There is a thousand dollar difference on price with the grasshopper being $7,699. Dealer support sides towards the Ferris only because dealer has been around longer. :usflag:

Lehighlawnpros
03-20-2009, 07:22 PM
We've run Grasshoppers for 15 years and have been
extremely pleased with quality of cut and durability.

All three of ours are front-mounts but they share a lot of the same parts with the mid-mounts.

Ours are all 52" and they seem just right for residentials.

We've never had an engine (ours are liquid-cooled Kubotas) or a spindle fail in 15 years.

I give each of the spindles one pump of general purpose lithium grease every mowing day.

Our original 721 is now nearly 16 years old and still runs and mows great (although it doesn't look like much :-)

Also, they're fairly easy to work on if you like to do your own repairs.

Grasshopper receives my highest recommendation!

Bob
Lehighlawnpros

mowerbrad
03-20-2009, 08:09 PM
I would definately suggest you demo each mower and see which one is better. Some mowers perform better in some areas than others.

groundskeeperllc
03-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Grasshopper all the way, the Grasshopper dealer there in Lafayette (Eunice Rental-Pinhook) is going to be great, Jay just took over 2 weeks ago and is reorganizing, he was the Grasshopper rep for our area for years but got tired of being on the road, he knows his stuff, you couldn't go wrong buying a Grasshopper from him

Jason Rose
03-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I must say, the Grasshopper is a good choice. I don't really know squat about Ferris though, other than threads on here.

Not 100% sure what machine you are saying is $1,000 more, the grasshopper or the Ferris? I know GH is very proud of their machines and they have them priced up there with Exmarks and Toros. GH is a good quality machine though, and well enginerred. Look at the height adjuster for the deck, no stupid little pins and clips to fumble with, just one big pin that sits vertically. You can change it with one hand while driving. Their spindles are greasabe AND rebuildable, not that they wear out, but if you hit something really hard (been there, done that) you can replace the shaft in them no problem.

freshcut419
03-22-2009, 01:17 AM
grasshopper I went from scag to a 227 52 inch deck with a bagger and love it..

LexingtonKYcutter
03-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Used Grasshoppers years ago, but have used Exmarks for years. I switched to the Is2000 big blocks this year and just had our first few days of cutting grass.

UNBELIEVABLE. Thats all I will say. I cant tell yet because the grass isn't really in full grow mode yet, but I have estimated that with my guys being able to mow a bit faster from not slowing down as much as they did with their ridged framed Exmark XS units. I estimating that I may be able to get upwards of 10-15% quicker mowing time and efficiency with the IS2000 Big Block over my Exmark Lazer XS units, as well as saving a ton of money. Looking at the spots we mowed the other day, versus what I was doing with the Exmarks, wow. The suspension and comfort kept my guys going fast instead of slowing down for the bumps and rough areas we encounter at some of the horse farms we mow in my area of the country. I have a few more Exmarks in my fleet that will be going bye bye sooner than I expected if I see that kind of time savings into the season.

As always, demo something before you spend that much money, and make sure you are happy. Happiness is king.

Big Red Ferris
03-22-2009, 05:04 PM
i have 2 of the ferris mowers ur lookin at 1500z 48'' 21 kawi i love them they ride sweet they cut good my dealers good paige equipment in ny there vary fair too deal with. im also friends with the rep for ferris and ive ran them for 12 yrs and i used too work on deeres for dealership out town u cant get me on a riged frame mower i walk away at the end of the day never look back,suspen seats dont do any thing compaired to a suspen frame unit and ferris is bulit in ny so they know what we mow in the northern states i get parts in a day/half what was more expensive the GH? ferris builds good units if i was home owner id have a deere bc i love there compact tractors

jhastrello
03-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Biggest comment that I saw when I was doing this same type of research is that the Ferris has a great ride, and a reputation for so-so 'cuts'. Can't really comment on the Grasshopper.

I've gone ExMark, since I have both the dealer support here and it's a very recognizable name/brand in the area. That, and the reputation for the quality of cut and engineering.

Big Red Ferris
03-22-2009, 06:43 PM
gota have sharp blades and clean deck i scrap every week its pain in the nutts but more when its wet but high lift blades throw it good

mattfromNY
03-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Biggest comment that I saw when I was doing this same type of research is that the Ferris has a great ride, and a reputation for so-so 'cuts'. Can't really comment on the Grasshopper.

I've gone ExMark, since I have both the dealer support here and it's a very recognizable name/brand in the area. That, and the reputation for the quality of cut and engineering.

Ferris has new baffles this year, and a new deck design available. Time will tell. I am NOT entirely happy with the cut quality of my 61, but the 52 cuts real nice. None of my customers have ever complained, but I notice and it bothers me.

Mowingman
03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
I was a Grasshopper dealer, and before that, used Grasshoppers in my mowing business. As a dealer, I also had a chance to work on and mow with some Ferris machines. The ride of the Ferris is not nearly as good as a Grasshopper in my opinion. The ride on rough ground is choppy, while the Grasshopper is smooth.
The Ferris is a very"cluttered" machine, with hundreds of extra moving parts just to create that suspension. The Grasshopper is very well designed with fewer parts to get the nice ride. The Grasshopper midmount has a total of 5 grease fittings. The Ferris has 11 fittings, just on the deck lift assy. And, if you miss greasing a couple, the deck lift will sieze up, requiring the disassembly of the machine almost to the frame ,for repairs.
The Grasshopper is super easy to service. Every filter on a Ferris is in a bad place for routine service.
I really don't know why anyone would buy a machine like a Ferris with the overly complicated design, and poor access to common service points.

Cajun Country Lawn Care
03-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I ended up getting the Ferris is1500 with 48 inch cut and 21 kawasaki. The Ferris was $1,000 less so this helped the decision but mostly it was the Ferris dealer and demo. I mowed saturday afternoon and was very impressed as I completed more yards in a afternoon than I ever have. Comfort is great. Cut was fine, I have not installed the mulcher yet (dealer admitted that mulching was not a fine point of the Ferris). I did notice some deck buildup when I cleaned it today, (time to get a gallon of Fluid Film). :usflag:

Mowingman
03-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Well, I hope it works out for you. The 1500 is probably the worst mower of any brandI have ever worked on, for access to routine maintenance items and filter changes. Good luck with it.
I would have recommended that if you just had to buy a Ferris, you look at any other Ferris model than the 1500.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Cajun, who did you buy it from???

Cajun Country Lawn Care
03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Congress Outdoor Equipment:usflag:

LexingtonKYcutter
03-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I ended up getting the Ferris is1500 with 48 inch cut and 21 kawasaki. The Ferris was $1,000 less so this helped the decision but mostly it was the Ferris dealer and demo. I mowed saturday afternoon and was very impressed as I completed more yards in a afternoon than I ever have. Comfort is great. Cut was fine, I have not installed the mulcher yet (dealer admitted that mulching was not a fine point of the Ferris). I did notice some deck buildup when I cleaned it today, (time to get a gallon of Fluid Film). :usflag:

Enjoy your purchase and the time you are going to save. Im actually excited about starting my contract mowing just to see what saving I will have.

As I stated earlier, I ran Grasshoppers years ago, and from the looks of things, they never have changed a thing to their design, granted, its a solid machine. But, atleast on the IS2000 models I bought, service points are very easy to get to, all filters as well as the oil drain are very easy to get to. Grease points as well, and 11 of them just on the deck is a bit of an exaggeration, maybe on the one he worked on when he was a dealer years ago, but not the current units. On the Grasshopper, is the battery still under the fender in that tough place to get too? I remember that being such a pain everytime we had a battery issue.

As far as cut, I was very happy with what I saw.

Either way, everyone can get on here and defend their favorite brand of mowers, getting on them and demoing them is always the best policy when your spending $5-$12,000 for a mower these days.

Linder'sLawnCare
04-09-2009, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Cajun Country Lawn Care;2872263]Thanks everyone for the replies.

I ended up getting the Ferris is1500 with 48 inch cut and 21 kawasaki. The Ferris was $1,000 less so this helped the decision but mostly it was the Ferris dealer and demo. I mowed saturday afternoon and was very impressed as I completed more yards in a afternoon than I ever have. Comfort is great. Cut was fine, I have not installed the mulcher yet (dealer admitted that mulching was not a fine point of the Ferris). I did notice some deck buildup when I cleaned it today, (time to get a gallon of Fluid Film). :usflag:[/QUOTE

How is the cut on the Ferris? I have read sooooooo many complaints about the Ferris being bad with wet grass. I am from LA too so it is wet a lot.

Boon
04-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd like to know how it cuts too,I went to Congress Outdoor a while back to check out a few mowers but the salesman kept pushing Cub Cadet and i barely got to check out the Ferris mowers,Nicer people than Southland though.

N.TX
04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
I have 2 grasshopper 223 and I think they are great machines.

Cajun Country Lawn Care
04-10-2009, 12:03 AM
I'd like to know how it cuts too,I went to Congress Outdoor a while back to check out a few mowers but the salesman kept pushing Cub Cadet and i barely got to check out the Ferris mowers,Nicer people than Southland though.

So far it cuts well, I have the side discharge set up now. Congress Outdoor admitted that the Ferris is not the best at mulching. I am thinking of putting a power chute on. From what I understand one salesman pushes Ferris and the other pushes Cub. I demoed both and liked the ride quality of the Ferris MUCH better. I know that there are several LCO's in the area that are looking at also switching over to Ferris, time will tell as I only have 3.5 hours on it.:usflag:

Linder'sLawnCare
04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
So far it cuts well, I have the side discharge set up now.

What is a side discharge? I never heard of that. Is is the mulching kit? What does it do? Sorry about the number of questions, just about to get a mower and need to know this stuff!

Cajun Country Lawn Care
04-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Grass is discharged from the side and not mulched (Standard Equipment)
A mulching kit mulches all the grass and the discharge chute is blocked (Optional Equipment)

Linder'sLawnCare
04-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Grass is discharged from the side and not mulched (Standard Equipment)
A mulching kit mulches all the grass and the discharge chute is blocked (Optional Equipment)

Ok. I understand. How much was that?