PDA

View Full Version : Perennials Planting

jshardy
03-20-2009, 09:58 PM
I am bidding on a job for an HOA and they want perennials at the entrance of the subdivision. There are four areas that will require perennials the size of each one is 33' x 7' (231 sq ft).

How do you figure on many perennials it will take for each area?

What is the best to plant these areas are full sun. Located in Wake Forest, NC

How would you price this job?

Any input would be appreciated.

jshardy
03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Hey Guys, Any help would be appreciated.

wurkn with amish
03-21-2009, 11:19 AM
get a book on perennials, look under the section that says full sun and see what will grow there. Usually the books tell you how big a plant will get, so figure out if you want them touching in a few years or spaces between them. Also look at soil conditions, just cause it will grow in full sun doesn't mean it will grow in clay, sand, urban conditions, etc.
If we give you all the answers how you gonna learn for yourself?

addictedtolandscaping
03-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Do yourself a huge favor, get the 3D total landscape program. It has a great library and also gives you the ability to input the aspects of your area, hardiness zone, soil, moisture plant particular attributes such as shape, color of blooms and foliage etc.

CCC52
03-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Things to keep in mind: Perennials multiply, some faster than others, some varieties within a genus more so than others. You'll want to be able to explain your spacing of the plants. Sure, you could pack the beds full and worry about division in a couple of years but they're likely looking for a low budget project that will provide years of low maintenance color? You're going to want some compact shrubery or something else in there too. A good design is going to need contrast of colors, shapes, and preferrably have blooms from eary spring to late fall. Don't overlook bulbs as an option, alot of folks do.

jshardy
03-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Where can I get the 3D landscape program you are referring to. This is my first year in business and any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the info.

addictedtolandscaping
03-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Staples, a large computer store, sometimes home depot I have even seen it at Lowes. It usually runs around 25.00 or so. After all these years and buying a significant program for digital design after finishing school I still refer to it. The program I do my drawing s with is EarthScapes and that incorporates Horticopia that has a similar plant choice option, you can also get the Horticopia Library as well. I also use Wymans Garden Encyclopedia, and THe Complete Encyclopedia's of Garden Flowers and Trees and Shrubs.