PDA

View Full Version : Stihl SH86 Shred N Vac

joed
03-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Does anyone have any experience using the stihl SH86 Shred N Vac. I was thinking of buying one to help with spring clean ups. I know that these units are limited to picking up small amounts of leaves in flowerbeds and so forth. Just wanted to know if anyone has used the stihl version before buying.
Thanks.

powernoje
03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I own a stihl sh85 and it is a good blower but it has no suction to pick up leaves and such... I would not buy one for that purpose...

clif10
03-21-2009, 02:19 AM
i have one and it has plenty of suction for leaves, watch out for bigger pieces of mulch. im glad i bought it and it actually works better than i thought it would!

joed
03-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Does anyone have anymore feedback on this unit?

Cuttinitclose
03-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I was wondering the samething.

michaelee2
03-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I was thinking about one also but would like to get opinions on them. How hard are they to convert to blower and back to vac.

clif10
03-21-2009, 11:51 PM
its about a 2 minute change over , boths ways, once the initial installation is done. ive been happy with mine, like everything, theres a time and place for it, i used it about 3-4 hrs last week picking up piles of leaves, hard to reach places. watch out for sticks and bigger pieces of mulch. now i want a bigger vac.!!

Kingram52
06-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Anybody know who has the best prices on the stihl or echo shred & Vac's?

davidl79
06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
I have one and it works pretty good. Like eveyone said, look out for sticks and mulch. They get stuck in the fan easily. I just took mine apart because the wet leaves and mud built up around the fan. If you plan on doing big areas, I would look into a billy goat. If you are taller the stihl will kill your back from all the bending over.

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-11-2009, 09:43 PM
i was really considering one for hedge trimming. instead of having to rake out the clippings from mulch beds and creating disturbance, you would come in with the bg85 vac and suck the clippings right up, would be alot faster if the unit works well.

wildncrazyguy
06-12-2009, 09:35 AM
My SH85 works great except in my mulch beds. I have cypress mulch and I have to be very carefull sucking up leaves and clippings in the beds or as already noted, a piece of the cypress will get hung in the fan. I was very frustrated with this because I wanted to do just like you said and use it for getting in my mulch beds.

The SH85 works very well suction wise for leaves in the yard and mulches them very well. I'm please about that aspect, so it works very well as long as you stay away from sticks and cypress like mulch that are basically sticks. Maybe other types of mulch are better to deal with.

Conversion to a blower is simple and takes just a minute or two maybe. I kept getting told by the salesman that it coverts to a blower as well. Must be a great selling point or something. I kept telling him, I've got plenty of blowers, I need this for sucking the leaves and debris up. I have converted and used it as a blower to test and it's the most powerful handheld blower Stihl makes and works well. It's really Stihl's BG85 with a shredder blade on the fan and a easy on/off knob for attaching the blower/suction bag, oh, and a nameplate badge difference. SH85, BG85.

I would assume the SH86 is about the same or better than the SH85. I got my SH85 last year right before Stihl announced the SH86. Was dissapointed in that because I would have waited for the latest and greatest...

Kingram52
06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
How much are they selling for also did you price the echos ?