PDA

View Full Version : Very Controversal Idea.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 12:18 AM
OK, I have been thinking of doing this.

There is a nice, middle class neighborhood with about 100 homes. I'm still in HS, and am thinking of sending out 100 postcards for Spring Break.

The postcard would look like a coupon code and would give them a free coupon to be used within the week of Spring Break for 1 FREE cut. If they want to sign up, the price will be the same. About 30.00 to 35.00

MikeKle
03-21-2009, 12:29 AM
When I first started I thought of many different ideas on how to build my client base quickly, and one idea was similar to yours except I was going to offer 50% off first mowing, thinking they would see the quality of my work and hire me full time, but what I got was alot of people who wanted to take advantage of the offer and that was it! The type of clients that you will get from that type of deal is not the type you want, they will be PITA clients, they will say things like, could you start coming bi-weekly instead or my personal favorite, Can I just call you when it needs mowing? I know its tough to build a client base early on, but put an ad in the yellow pages or the local paper and it will pay off. Also the clients you get from those will probably also refer you to people they know if you do quality work. Word of mouth is the best way to get clients, and it does take time. Just do good work and treat people right and the money will come. It took me about 4 years to get to a point that I could pay all my bills from lawn care alone.GOOD LUCK

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Well I've been doing this for about 3 years part time. I understand what your saying, but this would be targeted. It wouldn't be open to everyone, and the coupon would be non-transferable, and only good for one week.

MikeKle
03-21-2009, 12:51 AM
It is probably a good idea then, and mainly it will introduce you to the neighbors and hopefully they will remember your name.Just never send this type of advertising to certin areas(everyone knows the areas I am referring to!) call some printing places and see about door hangers. I bought 2000 for around $50. a few years back, came with custom printing also!

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 12:54 AM
It is probably a good idea then, and mainly it will introduce you to the neighbors and hopefully they will remember your name.Just never send this type of advertising to certin areas(everyone knows the areas I am referring to!) call some printing places and see about door hangers. I bought 2000 for around $50. a few years back, came with custom printing also!

Yea I know what you mean. IF I go and do a freebie, then I'll give them a load of info with my logo on it. Also it will get people talking about, well about ME:o!

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Why is everyone else staying away. I need some input. Please.:D

madisonpressurewashing
03-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Why cut your self out of $40. I just give them a few free extra things after they sign up for a year worth of work. I give out like a one time free fertilizer or de-thaching.

topsites
03-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Why is everyone else staying away. I need some input. Please.:D

Give it some time, sometimes a few hours does it but 24 hours should be plenty.

LwnmwrMan22
03-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Why cut your self out of $40. I just give them a few free extra things after they sign up for a year worth of work. I give out like a one time free fertilizer or de-thaching.

This is the idea.

I have no problem helping out clients with "freebies".

BUT, this is after they've been with me 2-4-7-10-15 years, not right off the bat.

You give away free things right from the get go, you'll be giving away the business.

Give them literature with pictures of properties you already maintain, or tell them what properties you already maintain for examples on your work.

At the very least, tell them that you'll give them a free cut in June, after 3 months of continual service, just not the first one.

Tommy Boy
03-21-2009, 09:58 AM
SpringBreak may be too early for people to be thinking about the grass getting cut. I would offer a 2 for 1 deal, they get one free after paying for the first one. Then you go back and talk about a seasonal gig. I also offer a "Lawn Coupon" for father's day. The wife or kids can buy gift certificates from us at the low cost of $40.00 per certificate, and that gives dad a weekend off when he needs it. The only stiplulation is that they need to schedule the visit 48 hours in advance. We sell a buch of and guess what, in the 3 years we have done this, we have only had about a 50% call rate. They give them, pay for the service, and we have an dead date on the certificate (Valid for 90 days after purchase) and in about 15% of the ones that use the coupon, we convert to regular customers. If you send post cards, send several and door hangers, and flyers, saturate your target market, but don't give the farm away!

larryslawn
03-21-2009, 10:02 AM
OK, I have been thinking of doing this.

There is a nice, middle class neighborhood with about 100 homes. I'm still in HS, and am thinking of sending out 100 postcards for Spring Break.

The postcard would look like a coupon code and would give them a free coupon to be used within the week of Spring Break for 1 FREE cut. If they want to sign up, the price will be the same. About 30.00 to 35.00

I did kinda of the same thing in my own neighborhood hopeing to get alot of customers but i only got 2 out of about 88 homes and those two were pita's that i droped about a year later i dint know why but people think their is some kind of catch and wont bite. word of mouth is the best advertising their is

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 10:18 AM
SpringBreak may be too early for people to be thinking about the grass getting cut.

This ain't Georgia, this shah is Louisiana. In the beginning of April I begin cutting some every week.

grntmbfisher
03-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I think I'd rather give away a $40 cut rather than a fertilizer application. Unless you have a really small yard your probably spending more than $40 on fert alone.

MikeKle
03-21-2009, 12:23 PM
The average return on sending out postcards,door hangers,flyers,etc. is only about 1-2% !!! Yellow pages is much better, it cost more up front, but it will end up paying for itself.

LwnmwrMan22
03-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I think I'd rather give away a $40 cut rather than a fertilizer application. Unless you have a really small yard your probably spending more than $40 on fert alone.

My 15k sq ft fertilizer bags are $15 each this year, that's $1 per 1,000 sq ft.

An acre property, once you take out the footprint of the house, drive, landscaping, etc is usually "GENERALLY" about 1/2 acre of turf, or $20, +/-.

MSS Mow
03-21-2009, 02:09 PM
I got to ask, what is "Very Controversial" about your idea? It's a coupon for a free service to entice future purchases. It's done every day in just about every line of business. One way you may want to tweak it is to offer the first cut free to anyone who signs up for regular service. That way, you know you've got additional work from them, and not just giving away a free service.

If the local parts store was offering a free oil change, no strings attached, they would be bombarded with "new" customers that week, and then all the new customers would just resort to their regular guy for their oil changes. And likely, they will not buy anything else while getting their free oil change.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I got to ask, what is "Very Controversial" about your idea? It's a coupon for a free service to entice future purchases. It's done every day in just about every line of business. One way you may want to tweak it is to offer the first cut free to anyone who signs up for regular service. That way, you know you've got additional work from them, and not just giving away a free service.

If the local parts store was offering a free oil change, no strings attached, they would be bombarded with "new" customers that week, and then all the new customers would just resort to their regular guy for their oil changes. And likely, they will not buy anything else while getting their free oil change.

1. It got you here didn't???

2. It will only be to about 100 homes in a specified area.

MSS Mow
03-22-2009, 08:18 AM
1. It got you here didn't???

2. It will only be to about 100 homes in a specified area.

1. So you like deceiving people. :nono: Good to know.

2. It's called targeted advertising. It's done everyday by smart business people.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-22-2009, 09:49 AM
1. So you like deceiving people. :nono: Good to know.

No, thats not what I said. If you will actually read the thread you will see that some people are for it and some are against, thus making it controversial.

Runner
03-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Ok...I'll speak up... I think it's one of the most absurd ideas I've ever heard of. You aren't the first one that has ever come on here and attempted this, and I'm sure you won't be the last. you won't be alone in the gathering of those who have kicked themselves in the rear for trying this, either.
Will it get you busy? Sure! And fast! There are ALOT of people who would be willing to take advantage of a kid who is foolish enough to come mow a lawn for free. I know I would! But most of these people will be thinking "Well he has a BUSINESS"..."HE must be doin' alright,...HE can afford it."
If you want to throw you money away...more importantly, you valuable time, then go for it. Thinking this will get you "exposure" is a very limited thing. And this method sure is a costly way to get some literature across someone's table.
Oh,...and be ready,...because you are going to go into some MESSES.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-22-2009, 02:51 PM
OK, now after reading all the posts. I believe I will take a hybrid approach.

Mail out 100 coupons to a farely new middle class subdivision about 2 miles from my home. The coupon will offer buy one cut get another free. This will only be availeable to the address LISTED on the coupong. The first cut has to be paid for. These homes have medium size lots(about 1/2 acre).

This again will NOT be open to everyone.

What do you think of that runner???

Ric3077
03-22-2009, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't give the free cut unless they sign an annual agreement.

LwnmwrMan22
03-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't give the free cut unless they sign an annual agreement.

Again, I would give away a free something else, with a yearly agreement, before I'd give a buy one get one free type deal.

Runner
03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah...buying one and getting the second one free is STILL a big give away - atleast in this case. When other businesses do it, they KNOW that they have an additioal sale. For instance...I have a coupon for Wendy's right now. Buy a single hamburger, and get one free. But they KNOW they are going to sell a drink and PROBably atleast a fry with that. Now,..they have pennies into it, for about 1/6 of what you are going to charge for a mowing. Now,...times that by how many people are going to come in and use these coupons, by the time they sell as much of their cost - as what it will cost YOU to go in and do two mowings, figure out how much they are bringing in. they are bringing in a few hundred dollars...you are grossing 70 to 80.
So,...as you can see,...other businesses can do this. However, ratio-wise, you have to be careful what you give away per what you take in.

Exact Rototilling
03-22-2009, 09:24 PM
OK, now after reading all the posts. I believe I will take a hybrid approach.

Mail out 100 coupons to a farely new middle class subdivision about 2 miles from my home. The coupon will offer buy one cut get another free. This will only be availeable to the address LISTED on the coupong. The first cut has to be paid for. These homes have medium size lots(about 1/2 acre).

This again will NOT be open to everyone.

What do you think of that runner???

Send me a PM and I will give you some marketing ideas that I think will work for you. I rather not publicly say because I'm not ready to release my fliers quite yet. :)
Non - disclosure agreement required. :laugh:

THC
03-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Man, you could have gone out and KNOCKED on those hundred doors by the time you make a thread.