PDA

View Full Version : such skewed perspectives

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-20-2009, 11:38 PM
i rarely post in this section of the forums, most of you will find me in the truck/trailer area. but ive been reading a couple of older, longer posts about marketing schemes and pricing and whatnot.

im not here to discuss prices, that would be opening up pandora's box here on LS. what really made me think, was how many people think 16,000 sq. ft. lots are big.

from what ive been reading, and i could very well be wrong, is that the general concensus on here is that 12K lots are avg. and 16-20K lots are big. My property is 16,400sq. ft. and in no way is that large, but very average for our area and the price of lawn care in our area reflects that. a two man crew here can knock something this size out in about 20min or less, and that is full service, mow, trim, edge and cleanup for quality work, not some hack job.

so i think that when alot of pricing debates get started on here, people dont take into consideration the sizes of properties. i was once told by someone on here they get $45 per cut on a 10K property. all i can say is that sure as hell aint where i am at.

and like i said, i could have easily misinterpreted things so this whole post is crap, but this is just my .02

ExtExc
03-21-2009, 12:06 AM
quite a variety here, we have small city lots, and some people have a house and own a second lot out back, or own 3-4 acres and 1-2 is grass. or for example one property i mow, is 15 acres, but prob around 5 (200K+ sq feet) acres mowable. its all about where you live, inner city 16K might be big, around here thats a tiny lot in town.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-21-2009, 12:12 AM
and just for clarification, when im talking about lot sizes, thats gross sq. footage, nothing subtracted out.

Roger
03-21-2009, 06:53 AM
I agree with the assertion that much debate is misguided because the work scope is so poorly defined. In my case, my average lot size is about 35,000 sq ft, with 25,000 sq ft of turf to mow. I allocate an average of 1.25 hours for each property. I have a couple properties that take 35 minutes to complete, others that take nearly 2 hours. As a result, I have a wide range of pricing for my customers. My most profitable properties are the small ones, using hand mowers, leaving the w/b or ZTR on the trailer.

The generalizations of pricing questions is a dangerous path to take. The key is profit, and all the other talk is not of much use.

Richard Martin
03-21-2009, 07:36 AM
You also have the remember that this is the Internet and you can only believe about 10% of what is written. If you hang out long enough you'll come to recognize those that can and can't be trusted to tell the truth.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-21-2009, 10:37 AM
let me tell you! haha. I had been on here for a lil under a year and was amazed at the kind of prices people were throwing around. so i thought to myself, i can charge that as well! well, i didnt get any customers with that attitude, not in my area.

ed2hess
03-21-2009, 09:20 PM
If the prices were as good as a lot of guys brag about they could stop their day jobs and work full time in lawn business. If we could be at the $60.hr price point as compared to $25/hr we would be in the cat birds seat. You can always cherry pick around and find stupid people that will pay more than what the market is at.