PDA

View Full Version : The story of me getting stuck in the mud.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Yesterday I was cutting a field. It was high in some places and low in others. Well three days before it had rained sooooooooooo I hit a low, wet spot and got stuck. We tried unsuccessfully to get my mower out. I decided to try to pull it out with the truck, so I backed it in and it got stuck too. Eventually, I called a tow truck, so the guy gets out there hooks up to the truck and begins to winch it out. He also got stuck and gets out the truck and tells me, with a laugh that this will cost me waaaay more than the 125.00 he had quoted, because now he has to call a tow truck to tow him. We get back to work, all the while I'm praying that it would be no more than 200.00 and that the Lord change his heart. Me and my helper get back in the truck, while the guy is towing us out and we pray again. The other tow truck pulls all three of us out. Well the foreman comes to me and says, "Ready to here what are your damages. It's going to be 200.00 even, Bub." So I follow him to an ATM, and am giving him the money when he tells me that he normally charges 450.00-500.00 to what he did. I know it was the Lord, then he asks me to come cut his grass for 40.00.

I also have emerceny, blah, blah insurance. Come to find out they are going to send me a check for 100.00 after I showed them the invoice, with no ?s asked. Also the customer gave me a 40.00 because she felt sorry for me.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-21-2009, 01:03 AM
all that matters is that at the end of every day, you give thanks and credit to where it was due!

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Yes. Thank the Lord.

Green Machine Mowing
03-21-2009, 01:13 AM
between the insurance and coustomer, your only $60 in the hole from it. however you now have a new customer, from who you will make that $60 back from in 2 weeks, and one hell of a story, id say you came out about as well as possable :cool2:

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 01:28 AM
between the insurance and coustomer, your only $60 in the hole from it. however you now have a new customer, from who you will make that $60 back from in 2 weeks, and one hell of a story, id say you came out about as well as possable :cool2:

I don't know if he will continue with my services, or if it was just a one-timer. I will though, definetely be sending out some of my chocolate fudge to my customer, and tow guy along with a personal thank you card.

Does anybody have a story along the lines of this????

topsites
03-21-2009, 02:26 AM
This is a good lesson for anyone who has not yet gotten stuck, because it's only a matter of time...
I'd say I have had to rescue my machine out of the ditch or the mud on average about once a year,
never once did it cost me except the first time, never once did it take more than 2 hours (thou at least 20 minutes).

What is needed is at least 100 feet (but 200 is better) of a tough (10,000 lbs. test) tree climber's, or rescue rope.
With a long enough rope, the truck stays on the blacktop, simply tie one end around the ball, the other end around the machine.
Get in the truck and lightly start giving it some gas, it does take time and paying careful attention, because the rope stretches!

But here would be my rope of choice, the price is per foot:

Sterling HTP Static 1/2" (12.7mm) Dry White
$0.99
ST12W001HTP
A two person/general use rescue rope. High performance, with a MBS over 10,000 pounds. Its low elongation makes it perfect for rescue haul systems and highline use. 48 carrier sheath construction gives this rope super durability and suppleness, which makes it appropriate for tower construction, short haul helicopter rescue, high angle technical rescue, confined space and industrial safety applications. Certified to NFPA 1983, 2006 edition for general.

http://www.rescueresponse.com/store/Static_Rope_Rescue_Access.html

Yes sir, never again be faced with who knows how many hours of down time, and dictate your own equipment rescue bill.

You might also, if you have some friends in the tree climbing business, be able to gain a free or cheap 'used' rope,
they're usually frayed to a point they're not safe anymore but most still have a TON of strength left in them.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 02:30 AM
This is a good lesson for anyone who has not yet gotten stuck, because it's only a matter of time...
I'd say I have had to rescue my machine out of the ditch or the mud on average about once a year,
never once did it cost me except the first time, never once did it take more than 2 hours (thou at least 20 minutes).

What is needed is at least 100 feet (but 200 is better) of a tough (10,000 lbs. test) tree climber's, or rescue rope.
With a long enough rope, the truck stays on the blacktop, simply tie one end around the ball, the other end around the machine.
Get in the truck and lightly start giving it some gas.

Here would be my rope of choice, the price is per foot:

$0.99
ST12W001HTP
A two person/general use rescue rope. High performance, with a MBS over 10,000 pounds. Its low elongation makes it perfect for rescue haul systems and highline use. 48 carrier sheath construction gives this rope super durability and suppleness, which makes it appropriate for tower construction, short haul helicopter rescue, high angle technical rescue, confined space and industrial safety applications. Certified to NFPA 1983, 2006 edition for general.

Thanks. I was thinkin more on the lines of a steel cable, but your saying this is strong enough to "rescue" a full grown 50" Gravely ZTR?

Also, when I go to purchase it asks me for quantity. I guess that means how many feet I want???

topsites
03-21-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks. I was thinkin more on the lines of a steel cable, but your saying this is strong enough to "rescue" a full grown 50" Gravely ZTR?

Also, when I go to purchase it asks me for quantity. I guess that means how many feet I want???

I "rescue" my 60" Warrior Ztr with my "used" frayed 200 footer just dandy, it does take 30-45 minutes, maybe an hour or two.
A buddy of mine gave it to me when I first started 7-odd years ago, the rope was used and frayed then.
It is so strong, no matter how much gas I give the truck it doesn't snap but!!!

As the rope stretches you still need to adhere to certain safety precautions, because if it were to snap it's going
to let loose like a 200-foot rubber band and anyone standing in the way could get killed or seriously injured.

Way I do it is I make sure the area is clear of anyone except myself, then if the rope starts to really stretch good
I lay myself across the seats so my body is below the rear window of the cab (which the rope might come flying through
if it were to snap)... And it could still hurt me from flying glass, but one has to be out of the direct flight path of the rope.
The entire time you have to watch out for people who might come strolling along, or traffic, just have to take your time
and always let them pass before proceeding.
Which, it never has broken.

Then there's the issue of the hydros, they'll keep your Z glued but there are ways to bypass this, ask if you need help.
Makes me wonder if the guy in the tow truck knew about that :p

As for ordering, seeing how this involves more than a few bucks I would go
ahead and call them to be sure, thou it most likely is 200 feet x $0.99
plus shipping, i think

Littleriver1
03-21-2009, 05:03 AM
I think the best story was the one about taking a mower down a bunch of steps to the back yard and not being able to get it back up. Then coming back to find the mower missing. Then finding out your mower messed up the neighbors fence and yard. If any one remembers that one I think it is time for a rerun.

Charles
03-21-2009, 09:40 AM
I would think if the tow truck got stuck, that was HIS problem and not yours:confused::hammerhead:

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I would think if the tow truck got stuck, that was HIS problem and not yours:confused::hammerhead:

Totally agree. If he was driving the tow truck, he needs to take the responsibility.

At least you got it worked out.

I got my ztr stuck last year in mud. I backed my truck up and it came right out. Lucky I guess.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Totally agree. If he was driving the tow truck, he needs to take the responsibility.

At least you got it worked out.

I got my ztr stuck last year in mud. I backed my truck up and it came right out. Lucky I guess.

Ya I've gotten my Z stuck in a ditch and was able to easily pull it out with my truck. This time though I was 300 ft from the road in a field.

Once the guy got stuck he told me it was going to be more than 125.00, THEN he pulled out my truck.

Also Topsites, I did know there is some kind of way to turn off the Hydros, but was never really sure how. Please explain.

jg244888
03-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I think the best story was the one about taking a mower down a bunch of steps to the back yard and not being able to get it back up. Then coming back to find the mower missing. Then finding out your mower messed up the neighbors fence and yard. If any one remembers that one I think it is time for a rerun.

i wanna here this!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

LouisianaLawnboy
03-21-2009, 11:12 PM

Me too. . . . .

MOW ED
03-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Did the tow truck driver know your name was "Bub"?:laugh:

Just kiddin, glad to see things worked out for the best. Its all about attitude and the way you percieve a situation. Sounds like you got it dialed in pretty well.

Big C
03-22-2009, 08:14 AM

I my opinion he really came out ahead!!:clapping:

topsites
03-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Also Topsites, I did know there is some kind of way to turn off the Hydros, but was never really sure how. Please explain.

It's a control handle, I think, you'll need to read the manual, it's about putting it
in some kind of neutral by disconnecting hydraulic pressure, I believe...
Some folks here know how to do it, I don't.

Because...
I also think, at least in my case I have to get up under and behind the machine
to get to them, and if I'm already stuck, the last thing I want to do is play
around in the mud some more.

That is, however, the safe way of doing things.

Way I do it ...
Is stretch the rope a bit, then the elasticity of the rope should provide enough pull to move it at least a little.
I do that 3-4 times and it's usually out of there, maybe a few more.
Doesn't take that long, but it is risky.
The worst part is walking and working alongside this tightly stretched rope.
I've never had one break, but then all it takes is one time and it could spell disaster.

Littleriver1
03-22-2009, 09:12 AM
There is a screw on the wheel motor. It has a limit on how far to turn it. If you go too far the fluid will plow out when you run it. You need to ask questions at the dealer.

KGR landscapeing
03-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Theres dump valves just like on a hydro walkbehind. There normally a little harder to flip on a bigger pump cause they deal with greater pressure

LouisianaLawnboy
03-22-2009, 09:52 AM
There is a screw on the wheel motor. It has a limit on how far to turn it. If you go too far the fluid will plow out when you run it. You need to ask questions at the dealer.

I was picking up my blades at the dealer, and asked. He showed them to me.

Pietro
04-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Just get a crank winch. Secure it to a tree or something nearby. If nothings nearby, just bring another mower nearby, park it sideways and have a few guys stand on it. Ive had my mower stuck so bad....someone removed a big ol tree and just filled in the hole...but the soil was so loose and wet I sunk 2 feet into it. Luckily the guy that lived nextdoor was my dealer.....he grabbed a front end loader and got it out. I went there the next day with 5 of my guys to dig it out, and it was just chilling on the lawn. Needless to say I showed up at the dealer the next morning with a box O Joe and bagels and doughnuts because he didnt charge me a dime!

STIHL GUY
04-02-2009, 12:06 AM
i ahvnt gotet stuck too bad yet. ill be sure to be careful so it doesnt happen

JShe8918
04-02-2009, 01:28 AM
i have gotten stuck several times. For those of you how have not it is not a matter of if it is when... LoL. I actually went and rescued my friend (ex employee who now has HER own lawn care company) from a ditch... This is the third time I have rescued her and the 5 time this year she has gotten stuck.... All i can say is wow... That is a good story you have got there... I think it was the wreckers fault and you shouldn't have had to pay any extra.

coxslawncare
04-02-2009, 01:48 AM
I think we've all gotten stuck at least once. Sometimes you can't tell something is soft until you already in it. My best on was the last cut I was doing for a lady that was moving out of state. Hadn't rained in at least 2 weeks went on my normal path and sunk. She saw what was going on and comes out and asks if she can help so I give her a quick run down on how to make the Z go and stop, take my winch rope (I agree with topsites here, my dad works on bucket trucks and cranes and gives me all of the used nylon winch ropes that they get) wrap it around my waist and start pullin like hell. She is flooring it mud flying everywhere but it came out. She had mud all over her but was laughing and you could tell she had fun. Sometimes you gotta make a bad situation into something positive.

topsites
04-02-2009, 01:49 AM

I'm not disagreeing but it is kind of hard to argue in that sort of predicament, too.
Granted, you can call someone else.
But time is the enemy here.

Nick's Lawn Care
04-02-2009, 09:54 AM

Get in the truck and lightly start giving it some gas, it does take time and paying careful attention, because the rope stretches!

But here would be my rope of choice, the price is per foot:

$0.99
ST12W001HTP

Yes sir, never again be faced with who knows how many hours of down time, and dictate your own equipment rescue bill.

You might also, if you have some friends in the tree climbing business, be able to gain a free or cheap 'used' rope,
they're usually frayed to a point they're not safe anymore but most still have a TON of strength left in them.

I hope you know that knots greatly weaken the strength of the rope... If you could get a rope that is spliced on one end would be the best and then tie a choker that is connected to the mower.

Just my $.02

Nick

PWN
04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
What about 3/4" Mule Tape? 2500LB/Ft tensile strength

I wouldnt go trying to pull a truck out of the mud, but I might try to pull a stuck a ATV,or ZTR with it. Especially @ $170 for 3000'.

Just an idea.

Later...

Mickhippy
04-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Ive been wanting to put an electric winch on the trailer. Also be helpful if the machine breaks down and have to get it on the trailer on your own.
Its on the "to do list!"

LouisianaLawnboy
04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Any specific make or model winch you guys suggest?