PDA

View Full Version : Echo BRD-280 Bed Redefiner

kenny s
03-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Does anyone own an Echo BRD-280 Bed Re-definer and if so, how does it work, and do you recommend it? I cannot spend thousands of $$ on the big bed redefiners like Little Wonders for instance, but this BRD 280 seems to be a good purchase and a great time and labor saver. Need input. Thank you.
Kenny s.

ilc79
03-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Kenny search this there are already post on this i dont like it i have one and would like to have my 700 dollars back you have to clean out behind it to me it only works in perfect conditions. thats my opinion

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Does anyone own an Echo BRD-280 Bed Re-definer and if so, how does it work, and do you recommend it? I cannot spend thousands of $$ on the big bed redefiners like Little Wonders for instance, but this BRD 280 seems to be a good purchase and a great time and labor saver. Need input. Thank you.
Kenny s.

If you do a search, you'll find threads on these.

Also, the Little Wonders, Blue Birds and others are for MAKING new beds, not redefining them. I'm sure it can be used as that but who wants to drag that thing around if your just touching up? The Echo redefiner works great, is VERY fast to get the job done of "redefining" the edge only. It is not intended to "cut in" new beds.

I'm using my pas-265 and it worked great on my place. All I did was install the cutting bit and I'm waiting for the large protective shield to come in. Bam, $150 and I have a bed redefiner. :usflag:

kenny s
03-21-2009, 12:06 PM
ilc79 and Alc-Greg H,
Thank you both for replyiung so quickly to my inquiry about the BRD-280. I am in need of a unit like this to redefine, (not cut new) beds, and I saw this video on this site this morning and said, "man this is just what I need)!! I do it the old way, with an flat ice scaper or short handled flat shovel and I am sick and tired of breaking my back and taking all the time to do it this way. I called my dealer right after viewing the video and asked him about it. He said they have become VERY POPULAR, and there is a back log of orders for them, and it is hard to get right now. I am going to start working in a week and I redefine all the beds at my acct's in the spring clean up. I am going to call him back and see if there is any way to get one. Thanks to the both of you for you input, I apreciate it. :usflag:
Kenny s.

ambersLawnmowing
03-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Pro's= Saves a bunch of time
less bending over
always more fun doing it with something with an engine rather then you foot and shovel
lotsof power

Con's= Weighs a ton
I dont like the balance of it
Replacement blades are about $90

CCC52
03-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Neat tool but the price seems a bit high for my tastes and ALC-GregH's idea of converting an existing tool seems a better option. I see the market for the tool, ideal for those who simply can't edge a bed to at least maintain an existing edge. Probably great for really expansive commercial properties where the edge doesn't get much scrutiny.

That said, I make alot of money on perfect hand-cut edges so the time spent is just more money. To redefine over the season a little touch-up with a string trimmer works good if done at low rpm and paying attention to detail. On mowing accounts I just add it to my trimming chores (not something I'd ask of an unsupervised crew member unless I'd seen they were capable, things can get ugly!). For areas that don't hold an edge well an inverted sod lifter makes quick work of redefining an edge (helps to have a second person for clean up).
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2176/6867238.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=6867238.jpg) (Under $100 and comes in handy for it's intended use as well)

Seems to me with the Echo tool any live grass cut from the edge would be shot up into the bed? That might lead to some weeding issues down the line.

I know it's not practical for everyone but keeping the edges shaped up every few cuts with some delicate trimmer use works well for me. JMHO, I like the concept but not the price.

nobagger
03-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Use the search feature and find my review on it. I was able to use it last week.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-22-2009, 12:56 PM
All I can say is get a demo unit and decide for yourself. I had a unit for 2 wks and I opted not to buy one. They have a great concept, it just needs some fine tuning. The conditions have to be perfect, and when it is it works great. But when it's not you would be better off fishing.

James

kenny s
03-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Dailylawn/landscape,
When you say "perfect conditions", what exactly do you mean? I can understand if there are some rocks that might be encountered or a root, etc., but if the majority of the redefining edging can be done with this machine in the spring clean up, and you only have to deal with taking a straight shovel or ice scraper to a few spots, in my opinion, it is still worth having it and saving all that time and back bending labor. Was it as heavy as some have said? I would imagine some weight in the head is what you need to help hold it in the dirt along the edge. If if is light, it may bounce around alot more. What is your opinion, considering you have used one?
Thanks,
kenny s

tallimeca
03-22-2009, 05:55 PM
first, understand, it's for cleaning up existing edges......not cutting new ones.

I brought one home and demoed one before I pushed them on my customers.

My house usually takes me an hour to do by hand start to finish.

I was done in 5 minutes with the BRD unit. It's actually still a little wet out and guys aren't really even out working, but it still worked great. I was impressed to be honest. I'd have no issue selling one to one of my customers and worrying about them not liking it.

There will always be a situation where it may not work as good as it did on another job.

I tried to cut new edges with it and it would. The problem is it's not designed to get rid of that much debris so it just piles up and falls back in the trench. Plus if there's decent size rocks, they can get jammed between the blade and the housing. I like to put it through a test it's sure to see in the field.

Try one......you may like it, you may not. Not everyone likes the same things. They are selling so well they are already on a 2 week back order.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-23-2009, 12:20 AM
First off the unit is heavy, but controlling it was no problem.
What I mean by perfect conditions: if the soil was dry and loamy it did great. if it had noticeable moisture the soil would pack up between the blade and the housing and actually prevent the blade from turning. you would have to scrape the packed dirt from the cast housing to get it to work again. We did notice that it did shoot rocks a good distance ( a concern with working around windows and cars) I still believe there is potential for this unit, it just needs to be tweaked a little.

James

Trenchblade
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Kenny s.

you might want to check out the Trenchblade, it does about the same thing as the echo unit and is a lot ore cost effective

Brett's Cutting Edge
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I saw it at the open house of one of the dealers in my area and thought it would be awesome. it seemed heavy enough to keep itself down. I own a Brown Bed Edger and love it but it makes a mess for redefining. The best thing i found to redefine is a hand held sod cutter. They are hard to come across, i have one that my grandpa bought when he landscaped his house 50+ yrs ago and i still workit several days a week.

dc1010
03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I just demo'ed the Echo BRD-280 Bed Re-definer it worked fine...in very dry conditions. but , if you have the edge even abit damp it tends to clog up. I did use it on another job where the beds were in bad shape and it seemed to work fine. My que. is when these jobs normally take about 1-2 hours each of using the spade and the two jobs I did today took no more than 1/2 hour each how do i price these? b/c the client knows how long it would take me in the years past and today I was in and out in no time.

CCC52
03-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I just demo'ed the Echo BRD-280 Bed Re-definer it worked fine...in very dry conditions. but , if you have the edge even abit damp it tends to clog up. I did use it on another job where the beds were in bad shape and it seemed to work fine. My que. is when these jobs normally take about 1-2 hours each of using the spade and the two jobs I did today took no more than 1/2 hour each how do i price these? b/c the client knows how long it would take me in the years past and today I was in and out in no time.

Charge the same, it's a $700 tool! Seriously though, swapping from push mowers to a 36 do you drop the price? If you've found a quicker way to provide the same quality of service I'd say it should cost the same. JMO

ALC-GregH
03-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Charge the same, it's a $700 tool! Seriously though, swapping from push mowers to a 36 do you drop the price? If you've found a quicker way to provide the same quality of service I'd say it should cost the same. JMO

You stole my post. :D

Don't change your price just as ccc mentioned.

tallimeca
03-24-2009, 07:26 PM
you might want to check out the Trenchblade, it does about the same thing as the echo unit and is a lot ore cost effective

I know you want to plug your company but to be honest, putting a trench blade on a stick edger does not give you the same results as this new tool from echo does. I've used them both so i can say that with authority.

Trenchblade
03-24-2009, 09:24 PM
I know you want to plug your company but to be honest, putting a trench blade on a stick edger does not give you the same results as this new tool from echo does. I've used them both so i can say that with authority.

First,I wanna say thanks for using the Trenchblade. You know, I should not have said it like that. I can see how that can be misleading. Even though I did say "almost the same results" we should not get bogged down with semantics. To be totally honest I have only seen the video and watched some one else use it in person. I should not be comparing the two until I have actually used it myself. I can tell you that we do plan to make a very nice blade for the BRD. I am waiting for the parts to come it so I can convert one of my stick edgers to run the blade and shield for the BRD. Until then I will not make anymore unfounded comparisons.

Turfdude
04-07-2009, 11:04 PM
My dealer charges $650 + tax. I was able (in ideal conditions) to edge 2 manhours of hand bed redefining w/ a spade in approx 12 minutes w/ theis machine. Yes, if the ground is wet, it will clog (like a tanaka push edger for those of you familiar w/ that unit). However, if you slow your speed some, it doesn't clog as quickly.

IMHO - well worth the $... just avoid invivible fence & sprinkler heads Ear plugs & safety glasses are a MUST and NOT optional!!

ALC-GregH
04-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes, the chit flies. :D watch out for autos near by as well. AND house windows.....