PDA

View Full Version : bluestone square for grill

greatinmulchbeds
03-21-2009, 11:59 AM
A long time client of mine called and wants a blue stone rectangle (roughly about 4 by 6) to put her grill on. Where she wants the grill is in the middle of her garden bed which has around 18 inches of mulch built up over the years. My question is to get a proper base would i have to dig through all the mulch and 4 or so inches into the soil? the lower layers of mulch are almost decomposed enough that they are a top soil. so would i be alright digging down just in the mulch? or go down into the dirt? and if i went into the dirt what would i fill with to bring it up back to grade just #57 clean stone? Thanks for your help iv learned a lot from you guys.
Brandon

Bru75
03-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Dig down to solid ground, below the mulch. Even if it is decopmosed, there is way too much organic material there, and loamy soil makes a terrible base.
I would use 21-A gravel compacted in layers for the base.
Hope this helps.

AllHardscaping
03-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Definitly dig trhough mulch, decomposed mulch and dirt till you hit solid ground/clay. We use grade 8 , I know its called different things everywhere bu its the same s you would use for a patio base. Compact in 2 inch lifts and make sure you have it thick enough for a the weight of a grill.

greatinmulchbeds
03-21-2009, 04:20 PM
alright thats what i figured but i just wanted to ask more experienced guys to get there opinion...Thanks for your help

btammo
03-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Dig down bring it up with #2 crushed stone (what we yankees call it) and bring a few helpers. 4'x6' pc of stone is heavy!! Use crushed stone so water can disperse from under it.

greatinmulchbeds
03-21-2009, 05:11 PM
yeah thats what i'm going to do. I'll have a few guys there to help with the lifting. It's on the schedule for the first week of April, I'll make sure I get some pictures before/during/after and see what you guys think. I'm just getting into hardscapes and this is a good starter/learner project because of how small it is.