PDA

View Full Version : How to load a dead rider onto a trailer?

firstchoice1
03-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Everytime I have my 48 inch rider break down while on site I have to have the darn thing towed or have to pay for some guy to load it onto my trailer. costing 70-90 dollars each time. I've tried using a crank strap( Not sure what it's called, but it's a very strong strap, used to strap down things and you crank it to tighten it) which I can either never line up correctly or the weight is just to great for me to be able to crank up.

-Was wondering if you guys might have any ideas

Help!!

Thanks,
Travis

vinny69
03-21-2009, 11:55 AM
buy a cheap winch

Uranus
03-21-2009, 12:08 PM
put the hydros in neutral and push it up the ramp. I've never had a problem getting my 60" lazer on. Heavy as hell, but it beats paying someone.

I MOW ALONE
03-21-2009, 12:11 PM
are you opening up the dump valves on the hydros to put them in neutural?

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
are you opening up the dump valves on the hydros to put them in neutral?

sure doesn't sound like he is. That's probably why he's having problems and needs someone to do it. You could buy a cheap hand crank boat winch and rig it in a way that will let you remove it when not in use. Don't forget the loosen the dump valves before you try to move it.

blake101
03-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Good old fashion Come Along. Works every time.

vinny69
03-21-2009, 12:31 PM
the only right answer is a 12 volt winch with a couple hundred feet of cable

Sammy
03-21-2009, 02:37 PM
If it is a gear drive, make sure it is in neutral. :laugh:

bob
03-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Here's what I've done. Put your mower in neutral (dump valves). Un-hitch your trailer. Block the trailer tires. Run a tow strap from your truck, over your trailer and hook it to your ZTR. Drive truck slowly & mower will creep up your ramp.

firstchoice1
03-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Just joined this site, never imagined people would be so prompt to answer this thread. I'm already hooked!

I always make sure to put it in neutral, on the 48 lazer rider the dump valves are both located under the seat and I always loosen them.

I'm seeing used boat winches used for 20 bucks so I think I'm going to explore that route. Think 1100 1b capacity safe enough?

Thanks again,
Travis

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I'd think so. After you get it, you'll probably never have it break down on you again. LOL

hondarancher4435
03-21-2009, 03:24 PM
if you don't want to use an electric winch and don't want to make a mount for a hand crank winch get a come-along. they can be had at walmart for $20 and would be great for your needs.

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Get the manual boat winch, it will be MUCH faster then a come along. Time is money as they say. :)

Fox Lawn & Garden
03-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Why does your machine keep breaking down?
Maybe it's trying to tell you something.

mr mow
03-21-2009, 06:49 PM
I like the unhooking of the trailer idea...sounds nice and dangerous :)

topsites
03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I've never had this problem with the Z, but good thing someone brought it up.
Another one of those, it doesn't happen much, but at least once a year on average.
With the Wb it's not such a big deal, the float decks are too heavy for me thou.

Of course, you know it, they almost never break when they're on the trailer :p

One trick that tends to work is if the lawn is 'curbed' at the street...
Is to back the trailer up at a 90-degree angle to the curb (likely you'll have to jackknife the truck so you don't block the
entire street), then letting the gate down on top of the curb straightens up that nasty angle considerably.
Also if it's on a hill, point the truck down hill with the trailer's rear pointing up, then gravity helps some.
But you still need at the least, a come along and some chain.

Some folks have mentioned installing a 12v winch permanently on a Z, the only thing that's stopped me
is the price a little, but mostly the labor, just thinking of drilling through that thick steel makes me tired.

Here's what I've done. Put your mower in neutral (dump valves). Un-hitch your trailer. Block the trailer tires. Run a tow strap from your truck, over your trailer and hook it to your ZTR. Drive truck slowly & mower will creep up your ramp.

That is awesome!

I'll have to remember this.

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 07:09 PM
TS, a high quality drill bit does wonders. :)

heather lawn sp
03-21-2009, 07:13 PM

that's clever and really cheap!!:weightlifter:

STIHL GUY
03-21-2009, 07:15 PM
the boat crank idea should work good and it wont cost much at all

Pietro
03-21-2009, 07:32 PM
I dont understand. Our 60 inch diesel had a snapped alternator belt and a dead battery. We got a 5/8ths wrench, loosened the hydro nut (puttin em in N) and we pushed the thing 300 feet and into the trailer, 2 guys no problem. I could have done it myself if I had to. Are you sure youre disengaging the hydros all the way? A 48 shouldnt be too hard to push.

jeffex
03-21-2009, 07:42 PM
no experince with this but I just bought a lazer last year . My plan would be to loosten the dump valves and tow it with my walkbehind on to the trailer. the beauty of gear drive walkbehinds is they are moblile even if they won't start .

Runner
03-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Also, just a note...for those guys that have no trouble pushing their mowers up the gate, bare in mind that many gates are longer and less steep than many others. Myself, I like the boat crank idea. This can always come in handy for many other things, as well.

firstchoice1
03-22-2009, 04:10 PM
again it all depends on steepness of the angle, but when I tried it the wheels starts sliding because the 800 pounds or so + added tension from angle was too much for it. Not so much hp but the weight of the walk behind.

Kennedy Landscaping
03-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Either buy a new mower that doesn't break down so much or buy a cheap winch. I've always been able to push my equipment onto the trailer alone if it breaks down.

polerpoker
03-22-2009, 04:33 PM
again it all depends on steepness of the angle, but when I tried it the wheels starts sliding because the 800 pounds or so + added tension from angle was too much for it. Not so much hp but the weight of the walk behind.

Do you know what / where the dump valves are?

Runner
03-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Look under your seat...the two hydro pumps (one on each side) will have hex shaped bolt looking tabs on them. Those turn counterclockwise, and it opens the valves. The machine will then free roll.

billslawn89
03-22-2009, 05:19 PM
i had to push my scag turf tiger once cuz it died but couldn't get it up the ramp of the trail. i used a come-a-long and got it up. took it home and after looking at the mower, found out it was a blown fuse. :hammerhead: talking about being mad! called myself a dumb a$$ for not checking it. i checked everything else out in the field but not the fuses. :hammerhead:

hackitdown
03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
I had to tow my broken ztr about 400 feet, and then up onto the trailer. I used a Great Dane stander and a tie-down strap with no problem. In the past I have used a come-along, but it is very sloooww.

With two people, we can push it up onto the trailer.

I like the boat winch idea, I am going to get one of those.

metro36
03-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I had to push my dads 48'' lazer up a hill from the dump pile a few times when I wouldnt start. I did it my self not problem. It is probably 150-200 feet up a slight incline. With the dump valves open it is no problem.
With you walkbehind try strapping to the front and towing in reverse. This may work better for you.

CrystalCreek
03-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Either buy a new mower that doesn't break down so much or buy a cheap winch. I've always been able to push my equipment onto the trailer alone if it breaks down.

Z's weigh a lot more than walk behinds. Also, most dual axle trailers sit higher than your single axle, making the gate a much steeper angle. I would be impressed if you could push a 1000 pound walker up a tailgate alone. I know I cant do it. Never be caught without a come along. Can even pull a stuck truck just enough to get it moving again.

ed2hess
03-22-2009, 09:21 PM

That is an excellent idea.....necessity is the ???? of invention.

mr mow
03-22-2009, 09:43 PM
That is an excellent idea.....necessity is the ???? of invention.

I don't know..am i missing something with this idea? an un-hitched trailer and pulling a mower on to it....i see, once the mower gets to the top of the ramp, the tongue will go flying in the air. Maybe I miss read something. enlighten me.

mr mow
03-22-2009, 09:44 PM
thought eds qouted qoute would show up too

mr mow
03-22-2009, 09:46 PM
ok..i see there would be tension on the strap holding the trailer down, but i would think the trailer would still swing.