PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever get pulled over for this?

Steiner
03-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Have you ever gotten pulled over for hauling a TLB and not chaining down the front bucket or backhoe bucket?

The reason I ask is I am going to buy a 14' Cam Superline dump trailer and I want to haul a TLB occasionally in NY. I don't think there will be enough room to get the buckets chained to the floor.

Kinda like in these pics: Thanks riverwalk for the advice!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250869&page=9

Can any of you guys point out a NYS website that gives me a clear cut answer about chaining down equipment. I am looking and I can't say I have found anything yet.

-Thanks
Chris

addictedtolandscaping
03-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I am in NY, got a really interesting on last fell. County Mounty stops me, I saw him sitting in the parking lot, I only do about 45 or so when pulling equipment. He asks me why I stopped him, I tell him "I know I wasn;t speeding." He proceeds to tell me that I have to have the boom of my excavator tied down." OK I'll bite, I ask him how I am supposed to tie down the boom that is 9 feet up in the air, not to mention attached to the machine with a 2" pin at the knuckle, but again tied down with the chain running thought eh quick couple st the bucket. He hands me the ticket and takes off. SO off to court I go. Naturally I am in a room filled with a huge priotn of society's misfits to say the least, quite humbling no less, talk to the deputy present for prosecuting the tickets, he laughs when I tell him the situation behind it and responds "You have to be kidding me." Up in front of the judge I go, he reads the ticket, asks me what it was for, I tell him, he looks at the clerk and says "we are really getting the weird ones tonight." Looks at the deputy present, asked him what he made of it, he shrugs and shakes hs head and the judge then ACOD's the ticket. So all said and done, I go sit in a room full of as mentioned kindly the society misfits, get humbled there, up in front of the judge get again humbled there, and waste 4 hours. So long and short of it, the ridiculous BS associated with NY.

Steiner
03-21-2009, 02:31 PM
So if these guys are writing tickets for it then you must have to chain down the boom? I wonder how these guys do it then with the dump trailers.

Can you chain the bucket without it actually touching the floor of the trailer?

addictedtolandscaping
03-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Nope, and the machine is not designed top have the boom chained, just one at each end, not in the middle.

Merlin300
03-21-2009, 03:43 PM
In Michigan where the U.S.D.O.T. laws have been adopted, they are enforcing that rule. I don't know if N.Y. has adopted those rules or not.

A friend of mine was warned by a M.S.P. motor carrier about chaining the buckets. He said the next time will be a ticket. I always chain the buckets front and back now.

RHayden
03-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Last year we were pulled over with the skid steer on. We had a chain side to side across the bucket and a chain and boom on each side of the rear of the machine. Trooper was a nice guy and told us we had to have an additional two points of contact on the front of the machine. So that equals four points of contact on the machine and a separate chain on the bucket.

wellbuilt
03-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Yea 14 feet is small I can get a tractor in a 12' trailer buy hooking the loader bucket over the front of the trailer and chaining it to the frame . If i take the trailer rear doors off I can chain the bucket to the floor . The DOT guys don't like to see any thing sticking out passed the edge of the trailer in any direction . If i was buying a new trailer i would get a 16' .Its hard to balance the trailer with no extra space . To find out the rules i would ask your local dot inspector to check the rig out . I chain the machine on each corner and every bucket. John

Have you ever gotten pulled over for hauling a TLB and not chaining down the front bucket or backhoe bucket?

The reason I ask is I am going to buy a 14' Cam Superline dump trailer and I want to haul a TLB occasionally in NY. I don't think there will be enough room to get the buckets chained to the floor.

Kinda like in these pics: Thanks riverwalk for the advice!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250869&page=9

Can any of you guys point out a NYS website that gives me a clear cut answer about chaining down equipment. I am looking and I can't say I have found anything yet.

-Thanks
Chris

unkownfl
03-21-2009, 09:35 PM
You need to chain the bucket down. I don't care if you have a 10inch pin holding the boom on they still fail and it could kill many family's if this were to happen going down the highway. You will not find a law most likely but the bucket goes up and down as you hit bumps and beats your trailer, so with that being said it falls under it being loose material/equipment load shifting and so on it is a violation. I use to know the code because I have received this ticket multiple times and I have had a boom fall off a mini excavator, and have had many crews under me have the boom/bucket fall off. Most of the time its in the worst time it could happen and many homes have lost parts of walls due to this.

bearmtnmartin
03-21-2009, 09:52 PM
how the heck does a boom fall off a machine? I have no idea how that would happen. Please explain just how this occurs. I haul my TLB behind my gravel truck on a tag, and for years I only had 4 chains, one at each corner. That was good enough for numerous inspections, and most guys around here still do it that way. My digging bucket was pinched inside my cleanup bucket. Then one day about two years ago I went through an inspection and the guy fined me for every chain he perceived to be missing. That was one over the bucket, (what, the pins will break and the wind will blow it off the trailer?) one holding the boom down(I guess in a high cross wind it might lift up and flutter along behind). one for my pinched bucket, and one fine each for each stabilizer. I guess the thought there is that a hose might blow, the stabilizer would fall to the deck, and oil would blow onto someones windshield blinding them? Anyway, the only one I beat was the stabilizer fines. That was an expensive day. Now I have the original 4, plus one over the loader arms, and one wrapped around my back buckets, which also act to prevent the boom from blowing away in the wind.

wildlandscape
03-21-2009, 11:57 PM
In MA a skidsteer needs to have 2or3 chains with 3 points of contact, usually one on each side of the back and one across the front. With a mini excavator it needs to be 3or4 chains, with 4 points of contact, each side of the back, across the front and one on the boom/bucket. Extra buckets usually get strapped down to the attached bucket of the machine or put in the truck. My fathers company use to use straps until a mini excavator rolled off the trailer getting off a highway exit, now strictly chains.

unkownfl
03-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Trust me the pins on our kubota's would break. I use to put in about 30,000 electrical services for Florida Power and Lights with 10 crews. The pin holding the boom on that goes horizontal would fall out. When it would happen the boom would hit the ground and fall over into a wall of a house being constructed. Of course we would be digging up to the meter base, and the foundation would be sticking out and we would use the bucket to chip it out. One time I was down in Golden Gate and was flying down a bumpy road and didn't have the bucket chained down and the king pin fell out and I dragged the boom by the hoses for 1/4 mile. I don't care what machine you have if you don't tie it down it will bounce up and down side to side, and this is called having a shifting load and therefore you can be ticketed for it.

bearmtnmartin
03-22-2009, 02:03 AM
I can guarantee my boom does not even quiver on the road, although that may be the case for a mini perhaps. There is probably a lot less weight there. You should have your boom lock installed on the trailer anyway.