PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh low ballers

touhey33
03-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I just got lowballed, by someone offering to cut a 1 acre lawn for $25 dollars, I only charge $43 and thought I was low, but $25 dollars geez. I live in Hamilton County Indiana the richest county in the State and am putting up with this crap. I didn't think the economy would affect me but I've already lost 4 accounts althought one was to someone whos moving. Also the customer said thought $25 dollars was low too, but asked for references and apparently this persons been in business 10 years.

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
lowballer shmoballer. I'm sick of these threads. Instead of crying on LS, go out and find more work, or educate YOUR customers better. Apparently your customers feel your work may not be worth the money they are paying. I don't know but all these lowball this and lowball that is making me sick. 2-3 guys each day come on here and cry the blues because they lost a customer.

touhey33
03-21-2009, 05:25 PM
You know what you're right, I guess because this is the first time i've lost a customer to a lower price I'm just frustrated, but I really just need to start busting my butt and advertise and fill up my schedule. Thanks for the reality check.

bohiaa
03-21-2009, 05:25 PM
lowballer shmoballer. I'm sick of these threads. Instead of crying on LS, go out and find more work, or educate YOUR customers better. Apparently your customers feel your work may not be worth the money they are paying. I don't know but all these lowball this and lowball that is making me sick. 2-3 guys each day come on here and cry the blues because they lost a customer.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

MAN you took the words right out of my mouth.

YAYAYA this guy can do it cheeper than I can, YA, YA, YA

Field King
03-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Not trying to offend anyone but most of the people in Hamilton county PRETEND to have lots of money, but as soon as a cheaper deal came along, goodbye Mr. lawnguy, there is an old saying in Indianapolis area that the people in Carmel (northside) have a $300,000 house and $50,000 in the bank and the people in Greenwood (southside) have a $50,000 house and $300,000 in the bank, maybe the economy has hit that high income northside? Keep the quality in your work and u will prevail in the long run!

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Keep the quality in your work and u will prevail in the long run!

Exactly. You win some you lose some. In the end, you might get a call from them mid season saying the "other" lawn guy stopped coming. Your door is wide open then. You can actually charge a little more if you wanted but I'd say keep it the same if nothing has changed. :usflag:

kaferhaus
03-21-2009, 06:57 PM
And wealthy people got that way by watching their money. Most here would consider me one of those. And I still "shop around" to get the best deal I can. But I always compare "apples to apples".

Sell yourself and the quality of your work and stop thinking about "selling" a price.

We've had a few customers ask us to lower prices this year, we've told all of them that they won't be getting a price increase this year just like we haven't raised their price the last 2 years. If they threaten to "shop" we say perhaps you're buying more services than you really should be in this economy and see if we can't cut back on some of their expense by scaling back what we're doing for them.

Like everyone else, we do lose some customers every year to someone who's quoting them a lower price. We generally get them back within a few months and they never leave again. Seems once they demand the same service they were getting (quality) the "cheap guy" wants more money or simply hasn't the ability to give them the service they're used too.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I lost one too... I had 5:dancing: gotta love starting out with this crap!

Think Green
03-21-2009, 08:20 PM
If this guy is mowing an acre and performing high quality work---I want to see the results!
An old man brushhogs an acre here for 25.00 but he doesn't do anything else and throws grass all over the damn place. If we do an acre lawn, I guarantee it wouldn't be for no 25.00 or 43.00.....
I am sorry, but that ain't worth my time and expense on my equipment and the cost of running men across that lawn for 30 minutes..That is using large Z equipment too!
This guy can have that customer--because he is heavily in debt and needs that work that bad.

IN2MOWN
03-21-2009, 08:22 PM
I just got lowballed, by someone offering to cut a 1 acre lawn for $25 dollars, I only charge $43 and thought I was low, but $25 dollars geez. I live in Hamilton County Indiana the richest county in the State and am putting up with this crap. I didn't think the economy would affect me but I've already lost 4 accounts althought one was to someone whos moving. Also the customer said thought $25 dollars was low too, but asked for references and apparently this persons been in business 10 years.

Quit the crying. I guarantee you lowballed someone with that $43.00 price!

Triplex
03-21-2009, 08:34 PM

I agree - the problem is that you guys insist on selling filet mignon when some of the customers only want a hamburger. If somebody just wants the grass cut and doesn't care if you edge, trim, and blow, you can either give them what they want, pass on the job, or insist on doing all the extra stuff and get undercut by someone who just does the quick mowing the customer is looking for.

GracesLandscaping
03-21-2009, 08:36 PM
although that sounds ridiculously cheap for an acre lawn, stop calling people lowballers! they are just competitive... maybe he has 5 other lawns on that street therefore he can charge less... its just being competitive but the ones that dont know anything and price stuff way too low such as your situation, the customer will usually call back in a month or so because they either double the price or just stopped showing up!

topsites
03-21-2009, 08:50 PM
In business for 10 years and quotes $25 on a full acre lot.
Just when I thought I'd heard them all.

Think Green
03-21-2009, 10:21 PM
topsites,
An old-retired man mows any acreage around here for 25.00. He doesn't get off the tractor. Reminding everyone this isn't quality lawns here, but overgrown land. He cut my neighbors lawn that was overgrown so high that my exmarks couldn't cut it, and he charged them 25.00 bux. He cut it at 5 inches tall. I went over afterwards, hand raked the lanes and wheelbarrowed the stuff over to my horses. LOL!

Graces,
You are correct! If someone wants the wishbone rather than having the full monty, give it to them. However, if this is a customer in a neighborhood where we provide service, we won't do the lawn because it only lowers our quality to that standard. Good point and wisdom though!