PDA

View Full Version : Ways to hang up a velke?

MikeKle
03-21-2009, 06:27 PM
I have the X2 2 wheel velke and when I first got it, I made a plate that mounts to the lower part of the ECS handles, and welded a small tube on the back of the velke platform amd I just run a pin thru everything and it is secured, and it doesnt bump the hydro control rods or anything else. The whole mechanism is a bit awkward and adds alot of weight to the back causing the front of the deck to pop up alot. I saw an ad for the Havener lift and latch, it looks like a hook that latches on the side of the velke and it is stored with the platform rotated towards the left. The problem is my hydro control rods get bumped by the velkes wheels if I hang it up with just chain and a quick connect. Anybody ever build something similar to what I am describing? or have a better way to hang these up? By the way has anyone seen the new prices on the 2 wheel velkes? Around here they are now $395. new!!! I paid $280. for mine in 2006, and the jungle wheels I bought some years before that one was around $200. new? I know the price of materials is currently on the way down but why do these velkes /sulkies go up so much year after year? Come on, it is just a small steel platform with wheels and some rotating weldments!? I also know the main cost is the wheels/bearings, but I doubt these have gone up that much? Are they going to be $1000. within the next 8 years?

DaughtryLC
03-22-2009, 02:15 AM
The way you have it now sounds good. Sooo do you have enough room on the front legs to weld or clamp a piece of C channel?? that would fix the light front. Just paint it to match or black. On my rider I needed weight for the clamshell and I welded the C channel and pined stacks of roled metal to it.

topsites
03-22-2009, 02:25 AM
Yeah there's a chain device they sell but I hate that crap :p
It's just as much a waste of time to hang it up all the time, then if I miss the hook it slips and falls into my knee or foot LOL

I just keep mine grounded anymore, it took some time and practice but backing up the biggest thing is WATCH YOUR FEET,
beyond that it's just like with the truck and trailer, let the velke lead and follow with the mower, so to speak.
Once I got good at this, I can back up that mower velke and all like lalala
Thou mine are all 1-wheels, that might be slightly easier, not sure.

As for new Velkes, I haven't priced them, I rebuild mine...
All they need is bushings every year, two in the trailing arm and two in the hitch, a 2-wheeler might have another junction, not sure...
Also I think a new hitch pin once a year can be useful (btw these are actually a standard 1/2" trailer hitch pin)...
That's all it is, these brass bushings wear out (as does the pin) which makes it ride sloppy.
Looking at like $10 in parts, total, $20 if you go to the dealer, and an hour or two of work.
Might need some cotter pins, maybe a special tool like a punch, and a vise.

Once every oddball moment the bearings in the wheels might need replacing, but that is rare.

Keep them greased, replace the tires once in a moon, my oldest is 10 years old and runs along as good as the 2-year old.